FX premiere Fargo Season 1 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
JohnMor said:
LOVED the plot twist back to the film! LOL. And BBT's performance tonight as the minister was priceless. Another great ep.
His prediction and fulfillment were fantastic.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Thanks, was thinking that too. ;)

I know there's been a lot of discussion about how to feel about the characters and their actions, but amazingly, I still feel sorry for Lester. I don't know why. He beat his wife to death with a hammer. When the two smiling hit-men joined him the jail cell at the end, I could only think, "Poor bastard."

I did not feel that way about Jerry Lundegaard. Every time I watch that movie, I can't wait for that weasel to get taken down.

What Lester does on the TV series is ostensibly way worse, but I think the thing about Jerry is that he's such a putz, which in the movies is more damning than anything, as far as repelling audience-sympathy. Brilliant performance by Macy, though.

I think it's because Lester's been such a pathetic pushover his entire life. It's terrible that he's decided to take his stand by brutally killing his wife, so he's certainly no innocent. But you can also see that he's had a pretty crappy life up to this point, as well.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also...The Fargoverse™:

fargo_money.jpg

http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/07/the-twist-in-last-nights-episode-of-fargo-was-outstanding/

I know I had a big smile when I saw the scraper.

(Also-Also: Key and Peele are gonna be on the show soon??!?)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
joshEH said:
Thanks, was thinking that too. ;)

I know there's been a lot of discussion about how to feel about the characters and their actions, but amazingly, I still feel sorry for Lester. I don't know why. He beat his wife to death with a hammer. When the two smiling hit-men joined him the jail cell at the end, I could only think, "Poor bastard."

I did not feel that way about Jerry Lundegaard. Every time I watch that movie, I can't wait for that weasel to get taken down.

What Lester does on the TV series is ostensibly way worse, but I think the thing about Jerry is that he's such a putz, which in the movies is more damning than anything, as far as repelling audience-sympathy. Brilliant performance by Macy, though.

I think it's because Lester's been such a pathetic pushover his entire life. It's terrible that he's decided to take his stand by brutally killing his wife, so he's certainly no innocent. But you can also see that he's had a pretty crappy life up to this point, as well.
I'm with you. I thought they made a point of showing how loving and supportive Jerry Lundegaard's wife was, while Lester's was the polar opposite (not that she "deserved" to be murdered). But Lester was a bit more pushed to the extreme over time while Jerry was just a scumbag, pure and simple. I don't feel that sorry for Lester because he's just so dumb, but I know what you're saying. And certainly compared to Jerry...

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Greg Kettell said:
Seems as if Malvo is inflicting Stavros with biblical plagues. Blood, locusts... That doesn't really bode well for his first-born.
I can't believe that hadn't even occurred to me! You're are so right! :(

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Once I heard the crickets chirping in the vehicle, the notion of visiting the Biblical plagues on Stavros instantly clicked. When Malvo first meets Stavros he inquires about his religious beliefs. At the time in that episode it felt like incidental dialog, just so much small talk.

BTW, from a google search, a list of the plagues:

1. Water to Blood
2. Frogs
3. Lice
4. Flies
5. Diseased Livestock
6. Boils (a skin disease)
7. Storm of Hail
8. Locusts
9. Darkness for three days.
10. Death of the firstborn.

Based on that list, I don't think the show will attempt a literal recreation, but more stuff is coming and yes it doesn't look promising for Stavros' son.

- Walter.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Lester's Macbethand is bothering me while I try to appreciate this wonderful show. When he was hospitalized and unconscious, nobody noticed the hole in his hand?

Could he be hallucinating the hand-injury? 'Cause yeah, I never thought about it before, but it totally doesn't make sense that that wound wouldn't have been noticed and tended to.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
joshEH said:
Lester's Macbethand is bothering me while I try to appreciate this wonderful show. When he was hospitalized and unconscious, nobody noticed the hole in his hand?

Could he be hallucinating the hand-injury? 'Cause yeah, I never thought about it before, but it totally doesn't make sense that that wound wouldn't have been noticed and tended to.
It had been bandaged in the hospital...but, yeah, I find it hard to swallow they wouldn't remove the pellet.

I think you may be on to something with the hallucination.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I never thought about him hallucinating it. Very interesting. Because it has bothered me that it wasn't taken care of in the hospital.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Only into episode two, but this is certainly an odd, yet enjoyable show.
I just wish the female lead had the goofy accent like Frances McDormand pulled off. Other than that, it's a lot of fun, in a very bizarre way.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I didnt think I would get into this show at all. I almost had the part of Sam Hess and was disappointed in not getting it.
I watched the first episode just to see who they cast and how he handled the part. Normally, I find it very clear as to why they cast someone over me, but not this time. :)

Otherwise, it was a lot of fun to watch the episode as I had read the script quite a while ago. Now I can say I really enjoy the series. Maybe I will land a role next season! :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I don't know if this show could get any better.

Last night's episode was incredible. The scene alone with Lester trying to haggle for the socks was gold, but then we get the slow-motion shotgun/festering wound-shot. Man. I watched that 10 times....partly because I'm disturbed.
Walter Kittel said:
Once I heard the crickets chirping in the vehicle, the notion of visiting the Biblical plagues on Stavros instantly clicked. When Malvo first meets Stavros he inquires about his religious beliefs. At the time in that episode it felt like incidental dialog, just so much small talk.

[...]

Based on that list, I don't think the show will attempt a literal recreation, but more stuff is coming and yes it doesn't look promising for Stavros' son.
I was really glad that Stavros's son (who may not be so dim after all) mentioned the pet store cricket buy-out, because surely one of those stores would have put two-and-two together after hearing about it in the news. So Malvo has clueless Clumph pretty well indicted and locked away, ready to take the fall.

And they didn't drag out Lester's wound very long, either. I can't wait to see where all this goes.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
And I loved the darker tone of the ep. It was perfect. Plus, I loved the nods to both O Brother, Where Art Thou? and A Serious Man. Another great ep.

But I still don't get why Lester's hand wasn't treated when he was in the hospital the first time.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
JohnMor said:
But I still don't get why Lester's hand wasn't treated when he was in the hospital the first time.
I think this episode made it pretty clear they did treat it, but it got infected. They just missed that the shell was still in the hand, which I guess makes sense considering they didn't know a shotgun was involved in the injury. And he probably lied about what caused it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Some good stuff, but it started to lose me slightly for the first time.
The fish shit was a bit too much. I hate that kind of crap. Reminds me of the frogs in Magnolia.

And IMO Lester has now joined Jerry Lundergaard as a complete unredeemable SOB. LOL. I used to feel sorry for him, but now I see that his wife and brother were right about him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks