What's new

Futurama vol 3-is this the last one? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading that there were only three actual production seasons of Futurama, which would make the just-released volume 3 the last one. Is this correct, or will there be a volume 4 on the way?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Futurama was a very difficult show to figure out production/season wise. I couldn't tell you. I hope there is more, but I just don't know.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
There are enough episodes left for one more Volume, then that is it. (Unless the show is brought back)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
There will definitely be a fourth and final Volume of "Futurama," hopefully by the end of the year. I can't wait for my favorite episode, "Where No Fan Has Gone Before."

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
There were four production seasons, not three. The next set (which, if it follows the same release pattern as the other three sets, should be out by late summer/ early fall) will be the last season, which consisted of 18 episodes.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

Is that the Star Trek TOS themed cancellation episode? I thought that one was a classic!

If Fox was smart, they'd pull a Family Guy on Futurama, but you'd think we'd have heard about it by now if they'd consider.

I'd love to see a Futurama Feature Film.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I have yet to start collecting this series... but is on my wish list... I am hoping to have atleast the first season within the next copuple purchases.

Now... these are season sets right? I was a bit concerned since they put these out calling them Volumes. Atleast I am hoping these are in season sets... shown in order as they aired. but either way it is only a matter of time before I get them! There is many I have never seen... I only caught the first 2 seasons on TV when it aired.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Yes, as others have said, there will be one more Volume of "Futurama" released. There are 72 episodes total.
  • Volume 1: 13 episodes
  • Volume 2: 19 episodes
  • Volume 3: 22 episodes
  • Volume 4: 18 episodes

Total: 72 episodes

Volume 1 was released on March 25, 2003. Volume 2 was released on August 12, 2003 and, of course, Volume 3 was released on March 9, 2004. That's a 4 and a half month gap between Volumes 1 and 2 and a 7 month gap between Volumes 2 and 3. I'd say a good guess for Volume 4 would be late July to mid October.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Ok, that makes sense. I thought that there were more episodes...

Oh, and the reason they're referred to as "volumes" as opposed to seasons is that the DVDs represent the production seasons of the show, and not the airing seasons (which were REALLY erratic thanks to some creative...and bad... scheduling from Fox).

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

I read an interview with the head of Cartoon Network, where they asked him about that -- he said that he'd heard that Futurama, while successful on DVD, didn't have the kind of super-spectacular success that would inspire the production of new episodes. (I suspect that Futurama is also more expensive to produce than FG, given the preponderance of special effects.) It's too bad, because I think it's more deserving than FG, but c'est la vie...

On a related note, I like the fact that they're releasing in "volumes." When the later seasons of King of the Hill come out, I hope they try the same thing -- starting in the fifth season, KotH (like Futurama) started to end every season with a bunch of episodes unaired (usually only four or five, but still).

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
John,

"Where No Fan Has Gone Before" is the Star Trek: TOS episode. I actually got to ask William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy about that episode at a convention in Tulsa, Oklahoma last summer. Shatner didn't seem to know what I was talking about, so Leonard kept trying to fill him in. Finally Shatner, in mock exasperation, said, "WHAT IS YOUR QUESTION, SIR?"

I asked, "Was the entire Star Trek cast together when they recorded that, and if so, how much fun was that to do?" Then I added, "Obviously it wasn't too much fun for Bill because he can't remember any of it."

The whole convention (about 8,000 people) cracked up and Leonard gave me a thumbs up. Shatner looked so embarrassed but he was laughing about it.

As it turned out, they were each sent a script and they recorded their lines separately. No one was actually together, which I kinda found disappointing. But it sure was a great episode.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
btw, a huge THANK YOU for whoever decided to put the not-so-sticky glue for the stick-ons for the covers. the previous volume was a b*tch to take off.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Love your Shatner story. I doubt he had ever even seen the show. BTW, that's the way they used to record their dialog for the animated Trek as well.

Ric

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I just finished Season 4 for the first time the other day, is there any chance they can resurrect this show? I kind of like how they ended it but this series deserves a healthy life.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
It seems like years since Season 2 of Futurama came out but finally last night we got our copy of Season 3. I have to say it. Futurama is the funniest show ever. Yes, funnier than The Simpsons. And the commentary on Amazon Women in the Mood is...best..commentary...ever.

All of these Simpsons/Futurama/Critic DVD's are a bargain because the shows are funny (well, maybe not always for The Critic) and then the guys on the commentary are hilarious. Just catching a brief snippet of Billy West doing John DiMaggio doing Bender cracks me up. Or Matt Groening doing an extended Shatner riff.

If I could magically be granted one talent (I have none, BTW) it would be the ability to voices and stuff half as well as Billy West or Maurice LaMarche.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Yes it's strange. I don't enjoy Simpsons but enjoy Futurama a lot! I don't have Simpsons on DVD but I will get all the Futurama seasons.

Galen_V

Second Unit

Unlike with Family Guy and The Simpsons, FOX does not own the rights to the characters from Futurama. As a result, there is little incentive for them to revive the show as they would not be able to cash in on any of the side merchandising, licensing, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks