Futurama april 6,2003

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by TonyD, Apr 6, 2003.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    so it was true.nibler was there in the first ep when frye fell into the cryo tube.

so do you think they did this ep in response to all the fan speculation about the shape of the shadow in that episode?

or it was part of the plan.

2. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

I vaguely remember the makers saying on one of the commentaries of either Season 1 or 2 that they always had some macrostory surrounding Nibbler in mind.

Great epsiode again, although I still don't really like these brain thingies. I adore Nibbler's race though. [​IMG]

3. WillG

WillG Producer

Sorry to disagree, but a terrible episode. Just not funny

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

This was the big one in alot of ways. Not only did Fry finally confront his lingering desire to return to his own time, but he also finally hooked up with Leela. I just can't believe how effortlessly this show pulls off these kind of episodes. Makes me all the more pissed that it was essentially cancelled. I'm glad TCFHE is really advertising the volume one set, which has been a really enjoyable addition to my collection; the Slurm factory episode goes down really well at parties.

[​IMG] to the Futurama team for a really great season.

[​IMG] to Fox Television; you get a worse rap than you deserve, but the way you actively ran this show into the ground is a great tragedy of television.

[​IMG] to TCFHE for picking up your corporate sibling's slack with a great first season and a half release.

5. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Dominik Dröscher wrote (post #2):

6. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

A fine episode, but it seemed like they were trying to cram too much stuff into one episode. (and possibly at the expense of jokes.)

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Rex, you missed the fact that in the beginning Fry was wearing the David Bowman spacesuit. In Bab5 they recycled the replicas built for 2010

8. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

A very pedestrian retread of a story, but TPTB managed to make it their own brand of Futurama. Take out Lord Nibbler and the Nibblonian High Council and it wouldn't have been half as good. As stupid as the Scooty Puff, Jr. was, it was instantly redeemed by the Scooty Puff, Sr.

I may be mistaken, but doesn't Maurice LaMarche do the voice of the english-speaking Nibbler, while Frank Welker (everyone bow to the King) does the gibberish?

More Morbo, Less Elzar!

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Frank Welker is the speaking voice of Nibbler, as well as the animal sounds (and the voice of almost every non-speaking animal on tv).

10. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

Hey, stop spoilerizing Babylon 5 for me, I am just starting to watch the first Season on DVD. Only catched a few episodes of its inital run and luckily am pretty unaware of what will happen. [​IMG]

11. WillG

WillG Producer

I just don't know why people seemed to like this. Let me put it this way, I spent alot of the weekend watching the "Volume 1" boxed set and then watched last night's episode and was left really dissapointed. The other characters were hardly involved and if you look back, you will see the show works best when all the characters (at the very least Fry, Bender and Leela) are interagal to the plot. And now it appears that Leela has finally realized that Fry is good for her. Not a good move, when a show breaks a barrier like that. I can't think of any show that benefitted from 2 main characters with romantic tension finally "hooking up." I can't help but feel dissapointed. The show was always better when Fry was pining but Leela always shot him down. It seems that Futurama is now actually starting to take itself seriously. I guess it doesn't matter since the show is going off. I don't know if these eps are there for "wrap up" purposes or not. But if they were made before the bad news, then they were going in a bad direction.

I enjoyed the episode on Mar 30th where they become young again because it was just a simple episode that involved all the characters.

12. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

I thought this would have been a good send-off for the show. Sort of an All Good Things for Futurama. True, not the funniest of episodes, but it would have tied things up nicely.

13. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

TCFHE?
    TPTB?
    Can someone help me out on these?

WillG - The show isn't going to be around much longer, it doesn't hurt to have Leela and Fry get together now. In fact a lot about this episode shows that they're wrapping up the loose ends.

There was another episode that showed Nibbler was there when Fry tipped over the chair.

I really liked this episode. Nibbler's people are great. I love how they are all wise and powerful, but still have to act like cute animals all the time. I hadn't caught the Babylon 5 references, I should've noticed something was up with the spacesuit. Fry also had to go back in time to impregnate his grandmother, likewise Sinclair went back in time and sent a message to himself to go back in time. Both stories couldn't have happened the way they did without those paradoxes.

14. WillG

WillG Producer

Yes I am aware, but I guess wondering if these eps were made before the announcement of "Indefinate Hiatus" came along, or after with the end of the series in mind. If before, then bad episode. If after, then yes, I can accept it as a wrap up episode.

I guess I will give the benefit of the doubt and surmise that the episode was finished after the crew found out about the show's future. I remember in the "Star Trek" episode, Bender made a commentary about "Star Trek" Lamenting "Another quality Sci-Fi show cancelled before it's time" an obvious poke at Futurama's own fate. So it does look like work was still being done after the bad news.

15. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I don't think Leela and Fry are together. She just kissed him. They have kissed before.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

17. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

18. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Alias seems to be doing fairly well post "hook-up." It worked on "Friends" too, but only because the relationship went south immediately.

19. WillG

WillG Producer

Maybe I did not state that the way I should have. I think the episode was not very good regardless of what was going on behind the scenes. But, there are certain contexts and factors on which you can curve your opinion. Like I said, If Futurama was not going to be cancelled, then I would be more dissapointed with this ep and would be fearful of the direction it was going in. If this episode was a "Death" episode and was there to tie up loose threads, then I could be more understanding. Let's just say the first case was correct and Futurama was not going to be cancelled, I think people would be much more critical as this ep. did not measure up. It was too focused on Fry and did not use any other characters much. It had a recycled plot line with the brains and although it seems like a long time since the original Brain ep. aired, as far as production goes, last night's wasn't too far past that. People lambaste The Simpsons all the time on this forum for similar grievances. Like I said earlier, I spent alot of the weekend watching the Vol 1 boxed set and those blow what aired last night away. I know others liked this one but I am going to have to give it the worst grade imaginable.......An A minus........minus. [​IMG]

"It worked on "Friends" too, but only because the relationship went south immediately."

That actually pretty much killed "Friends" For me. Became way too Soap Opera-ish after that

20. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I don't think the Leela/Fry story line has been significant enough that a change in it will affect the show in the long run. In some shows a good bit of the humor results from the conflict between the two main characters. The minute they get together that conflict ends or is changed dramatically, and the show no longer works. But in the case of Futurama there's enough other stuff going on to work around that.

Was it a big deal when Leela found out she was not the last of an alien race and was actually just a mutant? That was a significant part of several episodes and they've still managed to keep her character interesting. They've got good writers and a good cast, I'm sure if they bring Fry and Leela together permanently it will be well planned.