What's new

Futurama 4/21 (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
My god. Probably one of the funniest futurama's I've seen since Nixon ran for office :)
The Star Trek references were fast and furious, and William Shatner singing (speaking) Eminem lyrics cracked me up.
The references to cancellation were also touching.. too bad we'll see no more ;(

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Ah, that was classic! I didn't realize how much I resemble Fry. :) The whole "no friends" bit really hit close to home with me. Sad but true. (Don't worry. I'm fine now.)
"Will the real...Slim Shady...please...stand up?"

Blu

Screenwriter
Ditto!!! This one was incredible!!!!!!!!

I laughed the whole way through it!!!!

The endless conventions was too much!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Alas I never watched much of Futurama, but caught this one tonight, damn funny stuff, writers had a handle on Classic TOS, and loved when Jonathan Frakes's Head poped up to the front, Funny Stuff.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Damn it, I'm never sure if it's going to be on or not now, so I didn't bother to check...

and I've been waiting for this one too

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I can understand the doctor's silence, buy why no Scotty? Did he refuse? Very funny episode. Can't imagine why its cancelled.

jeremy

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
I was surprised they included DeForest Kelly in the episode. Thankfully and appropriately, he was not given a voice.

As for James Doohan's absence? Don't know.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
This pegs me as a scary fan boy, but I think the reason Doohan wasn't present was his inability to put two words together any more. I saw him at a convention last year and he was riding around on a motorized wheelchair (dubbed Gallileo) and was physically unable to do anything but scribble his name on papers in front of him. His father-in-law (don't ask...no, ask) was basically putting what needed to be signed in front of him, cueing him to sign it, then repeating. It was very very sad to see him wheeled out like that. He honestly didn't look like he even knew he was there. But Welshy was a fine replacement!!! :D
Is this show cancelled? I caught the references to it, but I have only heard this as being it's season finale, not show finale. Verification?
Phil
Best Episode Ever

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, Fox decided not to renew Futurama, just a few episodes shy of what would be needed to syndicate. Talk about a way to burn the guy who basically saved their network once upon a time (Groening, Simpsons..)

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
its the season final, fox have another 2 seasons worth of episodes stashed away, because they hate the show and only show it for 12 episodes a season. Doohan (~81 years old) has also had very bad pneumonia lately, and that could very well be the reason for his absence.

there were lots of references to ST and other SF, including bladerunner & space 1999. I really enjoyed the entire episode and thought it was great that they included the theme through the credits including that shot of Kif at the end. I also thought it was cool that it sort of flowed nicely into the pilot episode where fry asks nimoy to 'do the thing' and he says 'I don't do that anymore'. All in all a really great episode.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Thats how I understood it as well. Even though no new episodes will be made they have enough for another 2 seasons.

A shame really,becuase Futurama is a great show,

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoy Futurama and am a Trek fan, but I thought this episode was one of the weaker ones recently. I felt like the writers were thinking, "Well, we've got Star Trek references, so we don't need to write good jokes."

It was amusing, but I had much higher expectations. Oh well.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I have to wonder if the Doohan absence is connected to the bad blood between him and Shatner. I have a friend who is a Shatner fanatic and he even got into a verbal fight with Doohan at a convention on the topic of Shatner.

I only suggest this because excluding Doohan as a character appears intentional, as they had no problem including DeForest Kelley without a voice.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
maybe mr doohan wouldn't alow his likeness to be used. :frowning:

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
But, the Welshie jokes! It was worth it! But based on how I last saw him, he couldn't put two words together, let alone in character with any bit of timing.

Phil

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm just sorry I didn't tape it. There were so many referencse flying fast and furious, I'm sure i missed some. I thought it was a great episode. You can tell the writers really love Trek and at the same time it was great seeing the actors being able to have fun at their own expense.

-Ric

Chris Lock

Second Unit
Lots of funny bits:

-Shatner intentionally ripping his shirt at the start of the fight.

-Shatner doing Eminem.

-Koenig refusing to say "nuclear wessel".

-"After Star Trek, Walter Koenig went into acting."

-Nimoy saying "Vincent van Spock- I mean van Gogh!"

Why the reference to tapes of the series? They still use tapes 1000 years in the future?

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
My favorites:

Nimoy: "We had to do a lot of brave things."

Nichols: "That's right -- in season three, I kissed Shatner!"

And:

Nimoy: "You have to respect your actors. When I directed Star Trek IV, I got a great performance out of Bill because I respect him so much."

Shatner: "Yes, and when I directed Star Trek V, I got a great performance out of me because I respect me so much."

And, of course, Shatner scoring with Leela.

What a great episode.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks