What's new

Furnace noise reduction, HELP! (1 Viewer)

wolf noir

Auditioning
Real Name
andre
my basement is almost done, and the Theatre is coming along nice, but my basement is open concept and in order to enclose the furnace my contracter had to put on closet slot doors to hide it, because the furnace has to breath, and its still noisey down there, is there anything i can do to decrease the noise the furnace makes:angry: ? maybe some kind of foam on the inside of the door???
i dont know, help please

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

Thats a bummer about having to use slat style doors. :frowning: I totally enclosed mine and the ceiling is open in that room along with the two rooms around it have drop ceilings. So I am hoping that this will be enough air source for the furnace and gas hot water heater. depending on how big of a room you enclosed the furnace with along with being able to pull air from floor joists, you might be able to get away with putting a regular door on there. Maybe check with a furnace contractor and pick his brain on it before you do as I mentioned.

Sorry, but I don't have any ideas off hand for making it quiter without changing the door out.

Cheers,
JJ

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I was able to place a slated opening at the bottom a solid wood door and that made a huge difference in noise level from the furnace/AC.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I take it that you have a gas-fired furnace? It may be pricey, but you can have the air for the firebox vented in from outdoors. almost noisless!

wolf noir

Auditioning
Real Name
andre
replacing the furnace is not an option, wife would freak if i even brought up the idea:eek:
is there anyway i can hang some kind of material on the inside of the furnace door or something?
come on more people must have faced this problem???

chuckg

Supporting Actor
The only way to really quiet the furnace is to isolate it from the other room with big thick walls and a solid door. This will of course mean that no air from the room can get to the furnace. You can put an air vent into the furnace room from some other room. As I suggested above, the air for the furnace fire can be vented into the furnace fire box from outdoors. Ask a good Furnace / AC guy for details and a quote.

IF you can add some big slabs of carpet or other noise absorbing material in such a way that it doesn't block airflow, but does help deaden the sound, it might help a little. Beware that restricting airflow to a furnace fire could result in Carbon Monoxide formation.

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Hi I also have/ Had this trouble!
Chuckg is on the money!!
You can go here and read some on this! hope it helps.
SOUNDPROOFING A FURNACE OR BOILER ROOM
Vent from out side and seal the room! If air flows so will the sound!
I would build the room with insulated walls and before sheet rock I would staple up some tarpaper to. Just my 2c.
Briantj

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks