FUNNY FACE and SABRINA Eye Popping Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by kagemusha98, May 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Trentrunner

Trentrunner Stunt Coordinator

Where would one purchase these French BDs of Funny Face and Sabrina? Amazon.fr? (I'm in the US.)

2. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Yes...that's EXACTLY where I purchased MY copies of these titles, along with Paramount's blu-ray of "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"...feel confident about purchasing from them, especially if you're already a regular Amazon.com customer!!!

3. Trentrunner

Trentrunner Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. Ordered. It was disconcerting and then pleasing to see all my Amazon.com info already populated into the Amazon.fr pages. :)

4. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Happy to be of help, Trent.

5. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

I have watched Sabrina now. My take on it: It's an older transfer that lacks full 1080p detail but has been processed to look better than it actually is. It looks smoothed and detail enhanced (possibly with the Darbee process). It's also quite contrasty, too contrasty for my taste. Looking forward to Mr. Harris review.

6. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

There's a showing of Funny Face on November 6th at the TIFF Lightbox here in Toronto, and according to the press release, it's a new digital print.

7. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    I just bought 'Funny Face' in the Australian bare-bones blu ray edition and it's pretty terrific, and I don't notice the scrubbed-out effect others have complained about.
    And just in case you're interested in purchase, my Toshiba plays it when I have it locked into its Region A setting which means it's a multi-region Blu ray.
    Here in Australia it's less than $16 and can be bought from here: www.jbhifi.com.au.
    At that price, overseas postage still makes it a bargain!
    Cheers all

8. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I've now finally watched Sabrina. And I agree with Mr. Hafner above - it's not so good.

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    When we visited Paramount in October, one of the executives confided that both Sabrina and Funny Face were among the films on the Warners list which I guess means if we see Blu-rays of either of them any time soon, they'll be released through Warners.

10. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

Sadly, Warner will probably use the same DNR disaster scans that Paramount did after firing Ron Smith. If they do this and wonder why this discs aren't selling, then they need to do some work in the restoration department. Hopefully Warner will have better sense than to use such severely DNR'd masters for BD releases.

11. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    I thought the PQ on the Aussie release of "Funny Face" was pretty damn good - not an excessive use of DNR. The VistaVision films really pull up nicely on Blu. It's worth pointing out that you'll need to hang onto the older DVDs for all those wonderful extras, because the BD release has nothing except the film - same goes for "Sabrina".

12. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    VistaVision releases on blu-ray seem to have come to a complete stop (including Olive). Being a large format process the ones released so far look fantastic, a real showcase for blu-ray.

13. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    I just got in the Audrey Hepburn Collection (Sabrina, Funny Face, Breakfast at Tiffany's) today from Amazon.uk. Good price, and the PQ is very good on each of them.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm not a fan of Funny Face, but I did buy UK BD of Sabrina. I thought it looked very good too so I don't quite understand some of the criticism of it, if it's the same BD that was released in France. Perhaps, I need to take another look at it as I was concentrating mainly on the film itself, but whatever deficiencies it has PQ-wise, they weren't enough to pull me out of the film.

15. Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore Supporting Actor

Todd Moore
    I just watched Funny Face on Amazon Instant Prime. It looked decent for a streaming service. I'm now thinking of buying the Blu Ray, which apparently Amazon.com is selling itself. I have White Christmas, The Ten Commandments, and To Catch A Thief and if Funny Face looks half as good as they do, I'll be happy.

16. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Todd,
    I have seen Funny Face in 35mm many times since '57. I have also watched Funny Face on Amazon Instant Prime and was surprised at the quality of the transfer and the vibrant colors. I do not own the BD of FF, nor have I seen it. If you do get it, please let me know how you rate it. Thanks.
    Jose

17. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    i have the UK Funny Face BRD. It looks good to me. I've never seen a good print in theaters so I can't say how well it represents the authentic "look" of the film, but the images are clear and clean with vibrant color. You'll probably be very happy with this disc. I am.

18. verneaux

verneaux Stunt Coordinator

Bill
    In Funny Face during the 'Clap Yo Hands' number, Astaire does some kicks while on his back with the guitar. There were always rim-shots in the music to accent these kicks until the film came out on DVD. Have the rim-shots been restored for the blu-ray?