FUNNY FACE and SABRINA Eye Popping Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by kagemusha98, May 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Thanks, looks really bad. One more to avoid and Paramount apparently thinks that except for a few bigger titles their VistaVision libary doesn't deserve any better than the second and third rate treatment we clearly see here with Funny Face - sad.

2. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    You mean that you're clearly seeing on a site with screen caps. Those who've actually seen it, at least some of those, think it looks pretty swell. So, there's nothing sad, other than judging things without actually seeing them :)

3. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Well I have seen The Ten Commandments and White Christmas and their caps look nothing like these. Like with Zulu, Spartacus and Mutiny on the Bounty the caps look very similar to the HD version that was aired on several channels worldwide over the years and I have also watched that one.I still might rent Funny Face but why should I buy when the caps already look like they do?
    I cannot return the Blu-Ray when I don't like it so I will have to wait for a rental. I still have Spartacus, Zulu, Mutiny on the Bounty and a few other large format stinkers that I bought because they were at least "better than DVD" - turns out that does not really make me happy anymore in most cases.
    You might remember Dr. Dolittle, that one also looked very much like the HD airings that were shown over the years and tellingly enough there was no release by the studio that holds the rights in the US - my impression is that in these cases the studios want to make a quick buck with whatever they have, and they do it via other companies that release their inferior transfers outside of the US.
    I have to say that I am probably a more critical viewer than others as I sit around 1.5 screen widths away from a larger screen for movies like Funny Face while I am sure that others are not sitting as close. Given a large enough distance everything will eventually start to look detailed as we approach and exceed the resolution limits of our eyes and imo this is one of the reasons for certain titles getting good feedback from some members while others can't stand the way they look.

4. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I've seen the Funny Face bluray, and those caps look different. The film did have that white halo and was sharper than that. Bad screen captures. It's not quite as good as White Christmas or Zulu but it's better than that.

5. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    See Stephen Worth's post below. The habit of judging based on screen caps should stop - period. It's a bad habit, just like too much caffeine. I can't imagine why anyone would want to sit that close to a movie screen. Nothing could look good that close. Sorry. I don't understand it when I go see movies in theaters and I don't understand it at home.

6. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

It is out for quite some time now and nobody I trust has reported back on it. I would not make any decisions based on screenshots again if I get all discs for evaluation and can send back all those I don't like but I do not expect this to happen anytime soon...
    Because it is immersive. Sitting less close is more like watching TV, closer seating distances put the home in home theater for me.
    And movies that have been treated nice look very good when watched that close, unfortunately there are too many catalog titles especially that fall short and where I try not to sit as close, same for everything out on DVD.

7. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

I did not care for Zulu and when I posted screencaps of it that accurately show how it looks (I took them myself) I was told the movie does not look that bad - but for me it did. So it is always hard to say what to expect from somebody whose viewing habits, tolerance to certain artefacts, equipment and viewing distances I don't know or where I can put his previous impressions of movies in perspective that I do also know myself. Suffice it to say the caps look very close to the HD airing I saw in both colors, textures and detail. A coincidence? I think not - it probably looks just a bit better because of the higher bitrate on Blu-Ray but that's it.

8. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    If you don't like the way Zulu looks, either there's no pleasing you or you have something set wrong on your equipment. If a lot of movies look bad to you, it's probably the latter.

9. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Thank you but I am very pleased with a lot of Blu-Rays even though I find Zulu to be very much lacking when it comes to textures and fine detail - a pity as the movie (and the Blu-Ray) has fantastic colors and the cinematography is first rate.
    My equipment is set up just fine and I am sitting closer than most so maybe it could be that I am seeing things others don't or I am just bothered more by certain things, probably a combination of both.

10. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

I´m pleased when a film looks like the film it is. Not the case for Zulu with the proper grain and real world detail removed. The equipment or never being pleased has nothing to do with it.

11. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    What is "real world detail?"

12. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I think if a film is shot in 70mm in daylight on slow film and has very little grain, people assume it's been processed, even if it hasn't.

13. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Quite right. It's the knee-jerk reaction of the Blu-ray age. People simply have no idea what a large-format image should look like. Funny Face, for non-optical outdoor shots should have almost nothing but the finest of grain. Add to that the heavy pancake make-up of the day, and the automatic reaction is "DNR." Where Paramount did seem to do some clean-up work was on the opticals and what they did doesn't bother me all that much. But the rest of the image looks very pleasing, and there's quite a lot of detail.

14. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

One might also say that the knee-jerk reaction of the Blu-ray age is to defend almost every transfer as long as it is looking better than the DVD and to defend even the most blatant noise/grain reduction or manipulation by saying that "back in the days they used that clayface makeup".
    There are various examples out of movies shot at 8-perf with or without an anamorphic attachment that have been treated right and they do NOT look like Funny Face or Zulu, examples would be: Il Gattopardo (the new version), King of Kings, To Catch a Thief, White Christmas, The Ten Commandments, The Big Country, Circus World. In those movies they even left off the pancake makeups off the buildings, vegetation and other surfaces that all seem to have gotten a more or less generous layer of makeup for Funny Face and Zulu ;)

15. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    I'll take the "flawed" Zulu over the flickering image of The Big Country any day. I found that most annoying.

16. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    a) if you're going to quote someone, do it accurately.
    b) and this is the most important part: You have not seen the disc in question. You are judging screen caps and therefore I see no reason to have any further discourse. See the disc, then we can converse about it. The End.

17. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

The detail of the scenery/objects the camera is recording on film.

18. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

I was not quoting you in my post but above it, I use the quoting function for that. I was paraphrasing what I must have heard/read a dozen times as excuses why grain reduced or DNR'd titles look like they do. But then why does the pancake look not stop with the actors but also shows in other parts of the picture?
    You are right that further discussion indeed is not necessary, as I will surely not buy that French release of Funny Face and had my say.
    For those who also believe that it is better to have a look at some caps before buying blindly what cannot be returned I found this thread where somebody posted another set of caps. Judging by his words he has also seen the Blu-Ray in motion and it seems he does not like it:
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=195498

19. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Zulu is over processed, it contains some edge enhancement and too much DNR which is nothing to do with makeup, it lacks fine detail and yes i have seen a lot of good titles on Blu ray and also many bad, this is my opinion and there is nothing at all wrong with my equipment, you can please me, indeed read some of my posts and you will see that i can be very pleased, Zulu does not please me, not at all.

20. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Zulu could have some more fine detail, but I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bath water. It has striking luminosity, like looking out a window, and the color is outstanding. My friends were awe struck by these aspects of the transfer. So, while it's not perfect, it looks pretty darn good to me. I'm very happy to have it in my collection.