What's new

Funny Face (1957) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Will Krupp said:
I will say this, some of the issues that really bothered me about FF on DVD are gone, most especially the "dirty" quality of the whites during optical shots like the conclusion of "Think Pink!" Here it's sharp and the white on pink (pink on white?) tones are clean and fresh rather than slightly yellowed and dirty.
Did you ever purchase the second DVD version? The whites (well, the entire image) were a huge improvement over the first incarnation.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
A bit off-topic, but not too much so, I hope:

I just got the new Sabrina blu-ray, and I also have the previous (French release) blu-ray, so if anyone would like me to have a look at anything specific, just speak up. Happy to oblige. :)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks Tom for the offer .... I can live with the aspect ratio difference in the two Sabrinas, but would really appreciate knowing if there's a significant improvement in the actual image (contrast, sharpness etc).

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Mark B said:
Did you ever purchase the second DVD version? The whites (well, the entire image) were a huge improvement over the first incarnation.
Yes I got the SECOND (50th Anniversary) version but I drew the line at the THIRD.

The second was SUCH an improvement over the first that it was the first time I ever thought it looked like it should (within its SD limitations.) It still had dirty looking opticals which made most of THINK PINK! look less than it should, IMO. This really looks great but, seeing as how good the DVD was (for the most part), its not the huge leap that other Vista Vision blu-rays have been over their SD counterparts. I don't want to give the impression, though, that I didn't find it wholly satisfying.

I'm curious as to other people's takes on it.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
I looked at the first 10 minutes of both Sabrina versions:

[*]No discernible difference in contrast or sharpness
[*]The 16x9 version is the cropped version
[/list]
Btw, do we know which aspect ratio is "official"? And how do we know?

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Will Krupp said:
Yes I got the SECOND (50th Anniversary) version but I drew the line at the THIRD.

The second was SUCH an improvement over the first that it was the first time I ever thought it looked like it should (within its SD limitations.) It still had dirty looking opticals which made most of THINK PINK! look less than it should, IMO. This really looks great but, seeing as how good the DVD was (for the most part), its not the huge leap that other Vista Vision blu-rays have been over their SD counterparts. I don't want to give the impression, though, that I didn't find it wholly satisfying.

I'm curious as well. This film has the potential to be stunning, as it features some of the best color design of any 50s VistaVision film. My gut feeling is the Blu is derived from the transfer used on the 50th anniversary edition.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm watching it again as I type. The color is gorgeous. Definite Technicolorgasm going on here.

I'm more impressed than I was last night

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Tom Logan said:
Btw, do we know which aspect ratio is "official"? And how do we know?
All I know is that it went into production in September 1953, some months after the widescreen revolution got under way so I can't imagine a wider aspect ratio wasn't the plan all along. Also, while I don't have the French blu-ray, the caps consistently show A LOT of headroom. It certainly LOOKS more naturally composed in the wider caps I've seen.

Hopefully Bob Furmanek will pop in to tell us with some accuracy.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Re Sabrina AR: I found a contemporaneous review that listed the aspect ratio as "1.75."

And my impression is that the images were composed (mostly) with widescreen in mind, though a few shots (the establishing shot of the mansion, for instance), look a little cramped in widescreen.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Why is it so hard for those who said they were going to watch and compare to the French to actually watch and compare to the French so that others know if this is the same or not before we make the purchase. I'm one who had no problem with the French and thought most of the criticisms were not warranted - and since I'm hearing that people like the U.S. version I'm beginning to think it's the same. But it sure would be nice if we had some opinions here.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
I won't have the new Funny Face until Friday, so if we don't have any comparisons with the French version by then, I'll do some. :)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks Tom for the Sabrina comparison ... greatly appreciated.
It sounds as if first-time buyers should stick to the new US version to get the correct (intended) aspect ratio, but I'll make do with the unmatted full-frame Australian version and save my money towards the new R&H set!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Tom Logan said:
Re Sabrina AR: I found a contemporaneous review that listed the aspect ratio as "1.75."

And my impression is that the images were composed (mostly) with widescreen in mind, though a few shots (the establishing shot of the mansion, for instance), look a little cramped in widescreen.
Yes, Bob has answered this question numerous times. He and Jack Theakston certainly answered it for me before I posted my review of Paramount's Centennial Collection DVD a couple of years ago. The review can be found here.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Will Krupp said:

I saw it last night and agree with this assessment. Not quite White Christmas, but very impressive.

The sound was quite a pickup. Not sure what they must have done but the music sounds genuinely stereophonic in some places. Anyone know about what happened?

P.S. Will, I also like your new photo.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Funny Face: I've compared the new Blu-ray to the French release (the first 10 minutes and "Bonjour, Paris") and I discern no audio or video difference between them.

If there's something specific anyone would like me to check, just say so. :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
AnthonyClarke said:
Are the extras on the new Blu ray HD or SD? If SD then I'll just keep my existing DVD alongside my French Blu ray.
That question was asked in post #14 and answered in post #17 :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Seems to be a reissue. No indication of anything new here but I did feel compelled to put the preorder up just in case someone doesn't have it

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks