What's new

Funniest movie edit for tv (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I saw Die Hard 2 on ABC a few years ago and one scene had me rolling, when McClane launches himself out of the grenade-ridden plane before it explodes, he is shot upwards towards camera and yells "Oh shooooot!!!" in a voice that sounded like some Korean dude on helium! :laugh:

I always like it when a director has the forethought to do alternate "tv takes" of various scenes for the network version, like Scorcese did for Goodfellas, it makes it a little less painful to watch.

But man, some of those are funny LOL!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The Long Kiss Goodnight was on cable last weekend, and at the end Geena Davis says, "Die screaming, my old friend!" which gave me a Wrath of Khan vibe that I knew was wrong. They also replaced, "That a duck, not a dick," with something that made no sense. So I cracked out the old DTS laserdisc, and you know, they really cut out or changed a bunch of funny stuff!

It's like with Scarface: what's the point of showing it on TV?

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob

"Can I have a word with you?"
"You can have two - 'joke' and 'you'"

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
In National Lampoon's Vacation, the family is in St. Louis asking for directions; Clark asks a pimp for directions. In the theatrical release he replies "Fuck yo' mama." On the TV airing on CBS in 1985, he replied "Hey, what do I look like, Christopher Columbo? [sic])". This was not an overdub but an alternate shot of this made expressly for TV.

Now, National Lampoon's European Vacation has a lousy dub...in the theatrical version. Clark says "Darn it all" but his lips are clearly moving to say "Oh, fuck!"

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
i was watching bad boys 2 last night before the oscars, and some of the edits were pretty funny. "not bang your therapist" was changed to "not do your therapist" and the line "you got shot in the ass" was now "you got shot in the can"

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
In Pretty Woman Kit originally says " Fifty bucks grandpa for $75 your wife can watch". In the edited version she says "Your dress looks like my grandma's curtains.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
For one thing, I'd like to know who the hell made the boneheaded decision to dub Bruce Willis' voice in Die Hard 2!! Sounds like some Joisey puhlookuh stoned on weed.

My favorite has to be in DH w/a Vengeance where they replace "racist motherf*cker" with "racist melonfarmer". That film also has one of the best overdubs I'd heard yet:

When McClane & Zeus steal a yuppie's Benz he yells "GO TAKE A HIKE!!" Fits the orig footage quite well.

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
Back in the days when the studios used to make dubbed or edited prints for tv, THE SUNSHINE BOYS had an amusing "loop." Instead of calling Walter Matthau a "putz", George Burns had to loop in the word "Schmo." And, of course, when he scribbles the original word on the dressing room mirror, they just cut the shot altogether.

Another goodie - in BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK, Robert Ryan was called in to replace "Japs" with "Guys"!!!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have a question that i've been meaning to ask for a long time now and this is the perfect thread to do so, in the theatrical cut of The Crush, Alicia Silverstone's character' name was 'Darian', however in every network version i've ever seen they mysteriously changed her name to 'Adrian' and everytime another character says her name you can tell that it's a dub. :confused:

Can someone please clear up that little mystery because it drives me nuts everytime the movie is on because I don't know why.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
In the theatrical version of Superman II, once the sheriff and deputy confront the Kryptonian villains, you can hear Clifton James say, "Dwayne, you gotta learn to kick ass if you wanna be a peacemaker." But in the Salkinds' extended version that has aired on TV all over the world, the line was dubbed - very badly, I might add! - by a voice impersonator who said, "Dwayne, you gotta learn to kick hard if you wanna be a peacemaker," as though he was talking out of his nose! Cracked me up the first time I heard it! :D

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

Where'd you get that beauty scar tuff guy, eating pineapple?

How am I going to get a scar like that eating pineapple?
:laugh:

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
When they used to show Spaceballs on TV, there was an alternate version of the Major ***hole scene where his name is Major Moron. But the last time I saw this on TV, the entire scene was just cut out.

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
The Crush has the name of the girl looped because the story is based off of a true event that happened to the writer and the writer did the cardinal no no of not having permission from the family or the girl to use her name. The family found out and then got the studio to change the name.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

The funny thing is, I actually prefer the Christopher Columbo line. It always sounded funnier to me.

One of the best things I saw was in "White Men Can't Jump" when the Rosie Perez character says "I don't like the term screw, I like make love or F*ck!" it was cleverly dubbed (and rather choppily) to "I like make love or ..make love"

James D S

Screenwriter
In The Crow when Funboy is about to get himself perished he says "You're wasting it" as Eric Draven empties his syringe. In the TV version he says, "Get away, steamhead." That was always a wtf moment for me.

Why change that line, of all things? :confused:

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I liked in Die Hard 3 when McClane is walking down the street with the sandwich board.

The theatrical version says "I hate Niggers."

The TV version says "I hate People."

I would love it if someone changed it to "I hate White People." :) Irony, indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks