What's new

Funeral for Sharp XV-Z9000u (1 Viewer)

kevinhardin

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Hardin
I buried my Sharp XV-Z9000U projector today. We thought it was a bulb. Turns out it is toast. I have had it for 10 years and it worked beautifully. Of course I think I paid $10K for it back then or more. So, what's the point?

I have to replace it and have no idea where to start. I have a Blu Ray player. I have good, maybe not great, Integra video equipment and a 120" Stewart Screen. What is out there in the $10K range that is top of the quality heap?

Kevin

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
$10,000? Something comparable today is probably under $2,000. Do you want DLP, LCD or LCos? Are you going to ceiling mount it or use a rear shelf? If I had at least $3,000 to spend, I'd look into the JVC projectors. Check out articles and reviews at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com.

kevinhardin

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Hardin
Frankly, Jim, I spent $10K just on the projector back then even when there were others cheaper. Don't intend to go cheap this time either. As to what I want. I don't know what I don't know. These are my first steps in getting info on models. I know what DLP and LCD is but will need to learn what LCos is. Thanks for the links. I will go to them and start reading up.

As to mounting. I have a 600 sq ft theater with seating for 12 and the Projector is a cealing mount. I have a 2 1/2 inch cable run going from projector to the stack 12 ft away. I can run any type of cable and no limit on power. I think I am pretty flexible.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the JVC RS 60 is very nice...and right at your price point.
If you want to save a few bucks consider the RS 50.

Great stuff.

Enjoy!!

Gregg

Cougarman

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Hello my name is Jon, I have a Sharp XV-Z9000U that has never been out of the box. Any idea what its worth in todays market? Had dreams of a theater in another life...lol Have a SteStewart 110" screen ( bought as a demo ) Have a Faroudja Native Rate Processor 16.9 HD display 720p ( bought as a demo ) and the Sharp XV-Z9000U bought new Never used any of it,...new life, new home and it won't fit in our environment. Ideally be nice to sell it as a package Open to any and all thoughts and cost perspectives too....I haven't kept up on this stuff like I used too But I know this is still some really nice equipment Thanks Jon Michigan

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There's a few on Ebay but they aren't moving. You might be able to find someone to give you $300 or so for it, but I doubt it. It's 12 years old now. http://www.projectorcentral.com/sharp_z9000.htm My suggestion is to donate it to a church for the tax benefits. Or find a college student on a budget who can use a neat entry point.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Cougarman
I have a Sharp XV-Z9000U that has never been out of the box.
Any idea what its worth in todays market?
But I know this is still some really nice equipment
A 12 year old, 720p DLP projector that has no HDMI input, no DVI input (i.e. no digital input whatsoever) and has rated brightness and lumens that are a fraction of what is considered standard today?
In today's market, where new and better projectors sell for $500... maybe you'd get $200 for it. Maybe.
It was some really nice equipment, back in the day. A lot's changed since then.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Cougarman
Have a SteStewart 110" screen ( bought as a demo )
Have a Faroudja Native Rate Processor 16.9
HD display 720p ( bought as a demo )
and the Sharp XV-Z9000U bought new
Ouch,.....Is reality that Bad on any of the 3 items listed?
The screen might be the only thing that still has some value. Screen "technology" hasn't changed much.
No one really uses video processors anymore, same with a 720p display - they're going the way of the dinosaur.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I would give up on the idea of selling the "package". Honestly, with those components, I doubt you could give it away to someone whose looking to put together a modern home theater setup. Sam's suggestion to donate it is a good one. Otherwise, google and eBay are your friends. Do a search on both to find what those Stewart screens are going for.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A church will be about it. Schools won't want it either since they are going "wifi" and one of the elementary schools here is offering Android tablets filled with all the stuff the kids need for only 15% more than the cost of textbooks...with the promise "the next year" the additional "books on the net" will only be 40% of the next years books. And they let the parents take "the quarters" to pay on the tablets(which they don't do for the books).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks