What's new

Full range floor standing kits (1 Viewer)

TimForman

Supporting Actor

Wouldn't it be something if somebody built a tower using 4 Extremis, WR125 mids and a ribbon tweeter?

AllanRW

Second Unit
Ya that would be sweet:D
Like a
WMTWWW with a M rear firing from the top of the cabinet :b

W= Extremis
M= CSS125S
T= OEM AC Ribbon

You just never know ;)

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Can I safely assume that any/all of these Extremis designs (and others such as the North Creek) will always come in around 4 ohms and need a bunch of power?

I have a Rotel 1055 for now, but it is not stable under 8ohms and would require a seperate amp for anything less.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The Extremis 6.8 has an exceptionally stable impedance across a large portion of it's frequency range. So much so that two Extremis wired in parallel have a nominal impedance far above 4 ohms. Much of it is around 7 ohms. I'll leave it to you whether or not that is suitable for your amp. For many it is. Two Extremis in parallel is going to give you about 90db efficiency and with the XBL^2 motor that efficiency is maintained across a much wider frequency range than other drivers. This may help explain.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/XBL^2Notes.htm

DanWiggins

Second Unit
I'm sure I don't know what you are implying about an WMTMWWW...

About the impedance... Here's the impedance of the KIT261 design (an MMT with the woofers wired in parallel):

It has a minimum of 5.2 Ohms, and averages ~7 Ohms over the bandwidth of the woofers (from 2.4 kHz and down). VERY gentle. Any receiver/amp rated for 8 Ohm loads would not have a problem with this speaker.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

AllanRW

Second Unit
That is one nice speaker stand what is that worht for the DIY.
I am not sure if i could fit a pair in my room for testing:D

Can we say sweet.
Dan a man that never stops for simple;)

Al

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Will the speaker in the pic be available in a kit form? That looks exactly like what I am looking to replace my current DIY mains with.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Chris,

The crossover is getting finished up right now. Also, what is NOT shown in the picture is the full-range WR125S in the rear for ambience.

It's a big speaker (48" tall), but definitely has impact!

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Chris Brock

Second Unit
:eek:

Wow! that is to the tee exactly the look and style that i have been wanting to do. Any plans for a center that would be a good sonic match? Or would one of the LCRs work?

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe, LCR stands for Left, Right, Center so yes it can be used for a Center :)

Chris Brock

Second Unit

Hmmm, I didnt realize that so that is new info for me but my question was more for finding out if I used an LCR for a center would it be a descent sonic match for these as left and right mains?...............

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Yes they are. All the new kits are voiced to sound as close to each other as possible.

FWIW, we're getting our trio of LCRs finished today, so the demo room will be bumping! Think it's time for a movie in the warehouse...;)

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Dan-

is that WMTMWWW an extremis build? Is it a kit already, or just one of the fun projects you have started on the side?

oh, one more question if yer bored, since you pointed out how the 261 has an impedance that would be stable for an 8 ohm receiver, would adding the mid (wr125s?) in the LCR kit lower it by any amount to be worried about?

thx!

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
I got a tempest, then a brahma, then a tumult...now I'm all out of loot for some extremis mains :b

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Geoff,

It will be a published design. Don't know about in kit form, but definitely in published design form...

Adding the mid really won't lower the impedance, if high impedance is desired. A crossover works by raising the impedance of the network + drivers so that less power is delivered. In the pass band, the impedance of the network is minimized. If the pass bands don't overlap much, then the impedance will stay relatively high.

The impedance of the Apex (that's the name for this design) has a low of 3.6 Ohms; it is a 4 Ohm load. The frequency response is +/- 1 dB from 40 Hz to 20 kHz for the front drivers; overall FR will depend upon how you dial in the rear firing full range.

If you really need a higher impedance minimum, then go for the LCRs (if you want the 3 way type approach) or the 261s (floor stander). They really don't give up much to the Apex other than dynamic capability. However, even a pair of Extremis 6.8s are well beyond the dynamics of just about any other monitor design out there... Remember, a pair of Extremis 6.8s displace about as much air as a quality 10" woofer!

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Dan-

Thanks for the thorough reply.

That really does explain it better, and I'm happy to see that I would be able to do a 3-way design without running out and having to buy a new amp.

As much as I love music (and playing it), and as good as I am with techie stuff, I've never delved into DIY speaker building, specifically the electrical engineering of such.
In short, thanks for dealing with my gnu-bee questions!

I really should get a book about all this.

-Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks