What's new

Full Details: Panic Room SE (1 Viewer)

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Hey

I've just got hold of the details for Panic Room: Special Edition which will be arriving on the 30th March. Retail should be set at around $39.95. The big bummer is that no DTS track will be included - I guess because of the three commentaries and three Dolby Dolby 5.1 tracks. Really not a big fan of that artwork either, the font looks awfully cheap to me. I'm sure the features will rock though! Anyway, the specs and artwork are as follows:

2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
French Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
Audio Commentary by Director David Fincher
Audio Commentary with Jodie Foster, Forest Whitaker & Dwight Yoakam
Audio Commentary by Writer David Koepp & Special Guest
Six Featurettes on the Prep Phase from Previsualisation through Testing
Compare Storyboards, Dailies, Final Film etc with Multiple Angles & Audio with Optional Commentary
Shooting Panic Room Documentary (One Hour)
Make-Up Effects Featurette with Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr.
Sequence Breakdowns on Four Seperate Scenes
Twenty One Documentaries & Featurettes on Visual Effects
On Sound Design with Ren Klyce Feature
Digital Intermediate & Other Featurettes on Post Production
Multi-Angle Look at the Scoring Session by Howard Shore
Plus a Few Surprises!
English, Spanish, French Subtitles

Kristoffer

Second Unit
So we get two 5.1 tracks in different language but no dts...thanks Columbia! Hopefully the transfer will be better,! Otherwise looks like a decent SE, Fincher commentary should be interesting as always! I wonder what a few surprises are? Easter eggs.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
While I appreciate the fact that it doesn't feature any big heads, etc., I think the cover art looks kinda cheap. Just big red lettering.

But the set does sound good.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I guess they looked at the Lord of the Rings ext editions for that amount of special features.

The common link with both films is that Howard Shore did the music for both films

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Now I'm torn. I had been waiting for this SE, but with no DTS I dunno. I guess I have to decide which I prefer more, DTS or all those Extras.

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Here's the press release:

“A classy, intelligent thriller for grown-ups!”
Paul Clinton, CNN

PANIC ROOM SPECIAL EDITION

Special Three-disc Set Takes a Detailed Look at the Filmmaking Process
Premiere’s March 30, 2004

Culver City, CA (January 19, 2004) - Director David Fincher’s edge-of-your-seat thriller has received critical acclaim as much for its cold-sweat moments as for its revolutionary, mind-bending camera shots. And now through a special 3-disc DVD set available March 30 from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, audiences can explore Fincher’s groundbreaking approach to filmmaking and gain insight into the director that Roger Ebert called “a visual virtuoso.”

The PANIC ROOM SPECIAL EDITION examines the entire movie-making process from start to finish. Organized into Pre-production, Production and Post-production segments, this 3-disc DVD set includes feature commentary by director David Fincher, commentary by the film’s stars, Jodie Foster, Forest Whitaker and Dwight Yoakam and commentary by screenwriter David Koepp and special guest legendary screenwriter William Goldman. The pre-production phase is examined through eight featurettes while a special interactive pre-visualization component allows the viewer a comprehensive hands-on experience. The production phase is explored through an hour-long documentary, interactive sequence breakdowns and a featurette hosted by the film’s SFX makeup wizards, Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff, Jr. And finally, the post-production phase is scrutinized with over twenty-one separate featurettes, a special segment hosted by the film’s sound designer Ren Klyce and a multi-angle look at the scoring session with composer Howard Shore. And of course, there’s a lot of other surprises!

Trapped in their New York brownstone’s panic room, a hidden chamber built as a sanctuary in the event of break-ins, newly divorced Meg Altman (Jodie Foster) and her daughter, Sarah (Kristen Stewart), play a deadly game of cat-and-mouse with three intruders-Burnham (Forest Whitaker), Raoul (Dwight Yoakam) and Junior (Jared Leto) - during a brutal home invasion. But the room itself is the focal point because what the intruders really want is inside it.

PANIC ROOM: A Columbia Pictures Presentation of a Hofflund/Polone Production. Produced by Gavin Polone, Judy Hofflund, David Koepp, Cean Chafin. Written by David Koepp. Directed by David Fincher.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:

Disc One
Feature Film Presentation in Anamorphic 2.40:1 aspect ratio
Feature Commentary by David Fincher
Feature Commentary by Jodie Foster, Forest Whitaker and Dwight Yoakam
Feature Commentary by David Koepp and William Goldman
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Disc Two

PRE-PRODUCTION
8 Featurettes on the prep phase, from previsualization through testing
Interactive previsualization compare - storyboards, dailies and final film in a multi-angle, multi-audio feature with optional commentary by VFX Supervisor Kevin Huag, VFX Coordinator Leslie McMinn, Storyboard Artist Peter Ramsey and Pre-visualization Animator Colin Green

PRODUCTION
“Shooting Panic Room” - An hour long documentary on the principal photography phase
Sequence Breakdowns - An interactive look at the creation of 4 separate scenes in the film
Makeup Effects Featurette - with SFX Makeup Artists Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff, Jr.

Disc Three

POST-PRODUCTION
21 documentaries and featurettes on the visual effects
“On Sound Design” with Sound Designer Ren Klyce
“Digital Intermediate” and other features dealing with the post-production phase
Multi-angle look at the scoring session conducted by Howard Shore
Plus a few surprises!

Rated R
Color
Closed Captioned
Running Time: 112 Minutes
DVD Catalog # 02609
UPC Code: 0-43396-02609-4
Order Date: 2/26/04
SLP: $39.95 DVD

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
That cover art is genius. And by genius I mean a complete waste of effort.

The specs look good, though this is my least favorite Fincher film.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Who cares about DTS? Fight Club is probably the best mix in my entire collection and it's not DTS.

I enjoyed the film (although, from a photographer's POV, it was shot a little too dark IMHO), so I will be picking this up on release. I still think that Fincher is going to become the next Kubrick... but that's just me ;)

MatS

Screenwriter

yes, he to is going to die one day

price will be the deciding factor for me on this set

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm, I wonder if Nicole Kidman would sign off on allowing some of the footage Fincher shot with her onto the DVD.

And TWENTY-ONE featurettes on visual effects alone?! Those must've been some of the most subtle visual fx in film history, because I cannot remember anywhere near that amount being in the movie.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
What about all those countless shots of the camera gliding through the entire house, flying through walls, between floors, inside keyholes, across streets, etc? The film is so well crafted I just might pick it up, regardless of its flaws.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Next time when you are going against someone's opinion, I recommend using grammar that the insulted can understand :D ;)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've got the original superbit release with DTS, but can't wait for this SE. I really liked this movie and all the extras will be way cool.

Some of the more recent DD tracks I've heard have been very good indeed, so I probably won't miss DTS on the SE but will keep the SB anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks