What's new

full circle (1 Viewer)

Jimmy vb

Stunt Coordinator
I've come all the way around until I'm more mixed up than when I started. It all started when my 15 year old rptv mitsubishi died on me. I went out and got a new 55inch mitsu widescreen--my dream tv.

I then learned the hard lesson that these tvs only look good with hd signals, dvd, or at least a good satellite signal and nothing can make sports like football look decent unless it is hd--the movement is just too much. Since I watch an awful lot of pro and college football and some other sports, in addition to cable(can't get satellite b/c of trees and there is only one ota station available to me--nbc) then I am stuck.

I have scanned my options and, if number one does not turn up--I have to go with one of the others. I am definitely sending this beauty of a set back because I can't watch the full 55 inches of garbage that comes in on it. If I can't go with option #1 What would YOU do?

#1--try to get my old reliable 52 inch analog set fixed and wait until there is some hd programming I can access to buy a new tv. Costs about $300-500.

#2--buy a 32 inch analog set, cry because my dvds don't look as good--but be happy because the picture on sports and cable is better than rptv digital. Then I wait until hd programming comes out to buy a hd set. Costs about $500 for a cheap one like a jvc to around a thousand for a Sony WEGA

#3-get a smaller--32 or 36 inch direct view tv(wega xbr or hi-scan) hdtv ready set. The sports still look a little crappy but not as noticeable as on a 55 and the dvds look good--plus I am ready for the future. Costs about 2000-2400.

#4--I'm missing something. There is indeed a way to have it both ways. Some company makes a digital set that truly makes analog fast motion or detailed pictures look "real". The Sony WEGA DCR controls don't do it, nor does the mitsu 960i interlace option. OR, there is some adjustment that can be made that will improve my set. I have done the AVIA setup to little avail.

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
You missed one wonderful option... get a unit like the IScan PRO . In simple terms, it converts a non-interlaced signal into an interlaced signal. The ISCAN PRO has a composite input, an s-video input and a component input. It has the neat feature that it automatically selects which input is active and has a default setting for this.
The picture quality with one of these in use is startling and worth every penny. They are about $799 new and you can get them used for half that. Even some of the best progressive-scan DVD players won't hold a candle to using one of these.
This should be an almost instant purchase for ANYONE buying a big screen tv.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
You can also look into returning the Mits and getting a Pioneer, Toshiba or Hitachi RPTV, all of these have a better line doubler than the Mits and will make your regular analog programs look better. The Mits really suffer with there current line doubler and strech modes.

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
Juan, if you really want an improvement, toss all those line doublers that come as part of the tv out the window. They don't hold a candle to the IScan PRO. Just go see one for yourself to be convinced.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Besides the above suggestions, why not get a 27-inch, quality direct-view set for viewing this material. Get it as an addition. Your Mitsu is far, far too good a set to give up solely because crappy cable signals going in look like crappy cable signals going out, on your screen. If anybody deserves your hostility, it's the cable provider. The Mitsu will do justice to any quality input source that deserves your attention (once its grayscale has been tamed). Do not give up the set.

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
dont mean to sabotage this thread, but does everyone think regular signals look bad on a hd rptv? from what i have seen, satellite signals (regular dish network) looks better on the hdtv because of the increased resolution, instead of worse than the analog sets.
am i alone or do i need to get my eyes checked?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Satellite quality is directly dependant on the amount of bandwidth the provider is giving that particular channel at that particular time.

It is hard to believe that your 15 year old analog set had a better picture than the new Mits. Perhaps you have it setup wrong?

FWIW,

Gregg

Jimmy vb

Stunt Coordinator
I have plenty of hostility towards the cable provider--but it does me little good. Adelphia is the only way to get television signals at my house--satellite is out of the question(I got a second opinion) and ota is not available except for one non-hd nbc affiliate. It breaks my heart, but the mitsu is too good and too big for the crap signals I have to live with for the sports and other tv that I watch so much of. Two sets isn't really practical for space reasons and because the wife, who already thinks I'm nuts, would attempt to have me committed.

My most recent waffle is between a Sony 36 inch xbr hi-def direct view set--the smaller size and direct view will mitigate some of the crap signal(at least it will be smaller) and still give me a quality picture on progressive scan dvd or getting a $500 32 inch analog set and waiting 3-4 years. By that time hd signals may be coming my way(may not) AND who knows but that plasma or lcd technology may be available for under 3k. I saw a 34 inch(I believe) 16:9 Panasonic lcd set at circuit city last night for under $4k. It is for me a curiosity right now--but it is a sign that prices may continue to tumble on those kinds of sets.

I cross the rubicon at noon today--when they come and pick up the mitsu. I have very mixed feelings about it, but watching football on that set is downright ugly with my input signals.

Jimmy vb

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mean to say that the new mitsu was worse than the old mitsu on certain inputs--with dvd and even alot of tv there was no comparison--the new was much better. BUT, with fast motion, sports, and even some facial tones--it could be annoying as heck to watch with cable--something the old set probably covered up. I could have it set up wrong--but I did the avia calibration and tried about every permutation of setup available in the user menu.

I have no doubt this is a problem with source and not tv--I just have no control over source--I can try to mitigate the problem with a new tv that is a sort of compromise.

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
Jimmy, try the IScan PRO... you won't believe the difference. Especially on the material you watch.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Jimmy, try the IScan PRO... you won't believe the difference. Especially on the material you watch.
100% agree.

Also, I have a 36" xbr450 HDTV. It is a direct view 4x3. the problems with source material are still there. Make sure you look at them carefully first. I think I can offer a unique view because I have a 65" mits HDTV and the sony. two differen technologies, both HDTV, still same problems with cable/satellite.

Iscan works wonders on the mits however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks