What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (3 Viewers)

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Thank you buford2 just read about An Apple A Day.Ralph has terrific memory. Unfortunately with the passage of time firsthand accounts are even more valuable.Greatly appreciated.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Brian Himes said:
They're here! They're here! Got my replacement discs today. I have the next two days off work so Kimble will again be running on my TV. Yippie!
I'm glad. I respect that you want to watch them in order and am glad you will be able to. I also envy you a bit that you're getting to experience these for the first time. I've seen them all so many times and watched most of them when they aired the first time from 1963 to 1967. It's amazing how well they hold up nearly 50 years later. The next 20 or 30 episodes are so consistently excellent that I expect you will be amazed. Write again. Have fun!

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
66Kimble: It could be a long time, or never, before you can order a set and know that the defective discs are excised. I would order the set now when I know for sure I can call and get the replacement discs. HarryN: Yes, it's been a bumpy road from CBS with these Fugitive releases. I was very unhappy with them when those half sets were coming out, but I'm very happy they offered me the opportunity to buy a set that was corrected beyond my wildest hopes and applaud that when this set ended up having defective discs and defective episodes, they fixed that too. You might say I'm playing CBS' game but I finally got what I want and I thank them for responding to the criticism they received. I would be bitter if they never provided a restored complete set.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
why would you think that at some point, the sets will not be fixed ? that seems like a foregone conclusion, to me. any new set they make would use the corrected disks. personally, i was just gonna wait awhile, until the reviews came out with the disks fixed, and not have to bother with getting replacements, etc.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
jimmyjet said:
why would you think that at some point, the sets will not be fixed ? that seems like a foregone conclusion, to me. any new set they make would use the corrected disks. personally, i was just gonna wait awhile, until the reviews came out with the disks fixed, and not have to bother with getting replacements, etc.
As I mentioned in an earlier post Deluxe sent me a brand new sealed set less than two weeks ago and it still contained the bad discs. The good news is I finally received my replacement discs yesterday!

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Harry-N said:
It would appear that the "pedestal" that CBS puts their classic series on has some cracks in it. I'm still angry and bitter that those of us who bought the 8 half-season sets were basically hung out to dry. Where is the replacement disc program for those, hmmmm? Aren't they just as "defective" as the ones they're replacing now? I'm happy for those who've played CBS' game. Harry
I think you should reconsider the postion you're taking Harry. The set CBS is offering is exactly what most Fuge fans were crying out for - including yourself. We now have this wonderful series in NOB form. The picture quality is better as well than the previous sets. This set is a dream come true for anyone who loves and appreciates the show. CBS has had their problems releasing this series for sure, but they've also put alot of effort into making it right. How many other shows have received this kind of treatment? Not many.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
That's my point though - it's NOT right. There are yet to be reports of anyone buying a set without having to send for replacements. THAT SHOULDN'T BE. If they placed that much value on the show and its customers, they would not be doing it the way they're doing it. Instead, they're flooding the market with set upon set that are not 100% correct with the idea that many people are too stupid to notice or care. Surely everyone who buys this set does not read about the problems and fixes here. HTF is big, but is still just a fraction of the general populace. And my other gripe is having us all follow along, eagerly buying up their problematic half-season sets, having us bitch and complain and even stand up and cheer, and then, after the series is completed, here comes the "fix". Well thanks but no thanks. I was working and hauling in a nice salary during the bulk of the half-season release. I scrimped and saved my pennies when I retired and went on a fixed income to buy Season 4's two sets. Now they expect me to pony up another $200 for the series all over again? Not happening. If the Season 2 and 3 sets were so problematic to begin with and needed fixing for the MOST WANTED sets, then where is the replacement disc program for those of us who faithfully bought those sets? I'll reconsider my position when CBS reconsiders theirs. THE FUGITIVE was a series I treasured. I was among the earliest champions of getting the series on DVD - hell, even VHS! And then I was treated like dirt by the company that owns the series. Their right to be sure, but I don't have to be happy about it. Harry

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Could someone please post again how do you get the corrected discs? The website, phone number you need, email address, etc. Thankst! Robert

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Harry,I own the Nu venture VHS series heck I flew out to LA for the 30th Anniversary of The Fugitive The Judgement in 1997.(when I was single of course).Now with two kids and a mortgage I could probably still scrounge up 225 dollars for a set but sadly it's an expense for trouble I don't need right now. Steve,114 episodes is not bad for a bootleg release for 100 bucks maybe but from the official studio is not acceptable despite their efforts. I don't begrudge anyone buying the set now it's not for me at this time.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
TravisR said:
Just a guess on my part but I think that there's so many sets sitting in warehouses that it will be years until the 'risk' of not got getting one is gone.
ouch - i guess anything is possible. i am more used to things being recalled, once there is a known problem !!!

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The half season debacles, and the unhappiness that caused, is over with and done. I'm one of the people here who wouldn't stop complaining about it and who did refuse to buy the unacceptable releases. CBS could have left it there or they could restore the series and offer another package for the fans who hated their previous work. I'm guessing this step, in its totality, may be unprecedented. As one who railed against the half sets, I give great thanks to them for responding to the firestorm and offering what we wanted all along. Replacement discs were manufactured in December and I have no doubt that complete sets with correct discs will be out but it's only March. I can't understand waiting for the set, if you want it, when the replacement discs are easily obtainable. A little shopping around should allow anyone here to find the set for well under $200.00. Denying yourself the pleasure of this set because you got stung on the unacceptable work they released a number of years ago and you're still mad about it seems self defeating to me. They put out a product their audience rejected. The rejection was heard loud and clear and they responded, finally, and released the product the audience wanted all along. This is a great story and there's a time to let the past go and be thankful the market works sometime.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Harry-N said:
That's my point though - it's NOT right. There are yet to be reports of anyone buying a set without having to send for replacements. THAT SHOULDN'T BE. If they placed that much value on the show and its customers, they would not be doing it the way they're doing it. Instead, they're flooding the market with set upon set that are not 100% correct with the idea that many people are too stupid to notice or care. Surely everyone who buys this set does not read about the problems and fixes here. HTF is big, but is still just a fraction of the general populace. And my other gripe is having us all follow along, eagerly buying up their problematic half-season sets, having us bitch and complain and even stand up and cheer, and then, after the series is completed, here comes the "fix". Well thanks but no thanks. I was working and hauling in a nice salary during the bulk of the half-season release. I scrimped and saved my pennies when I retired and went on a fixed income to buy Season 4's two sets. Now they expect me to pony up  another $200 for the series all over again? Not happening. If the Season 2 and 3 sets were so problematic to begin with and needed fixing for the MOST WANTED sets, then where is the replacement disc program for those of us who faithfully bought those sets? I'll reconsider my position when CBS reconsiders theirs. THE FUGITIVE was a series I treasured. I was among the earliest champions of getting the series on DVD - hell, even VHS! And then I was treated like dirt by the company that owns the series. Their right to be sure, but I don't have to be happy about it. Harry
Surely you don't think HTF is the only site where people can find out about the problems and fixes related to this set? With a simple phone call people can get replacement discs free of charge and have a set that is indeed right. It's your prerogative not to buy the set again, but for CBS to go back and restore all of the original music and improve the video quality and offer the complete series in one boxset (with some nice extras) is pretty impressive in my book. CBS has reconsidered their position and they've offered fans a set that is in NOB form - the very thing we asked of them. Yes, there are some problems with the set and they are providing people the opportunity to receive corrected discs free of charge.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
ouch - i guess anything is possible. i am more used to things being recalled, once there is a known problem !!!
A recall would fix the problem totally but as has been said, they know that most people won't know or won't bother with the replacement program so it's easier and cheaper to leave the 'defective' discs out there. Since I own the individual volumes, I'm waiting for a great sale to buy the set (while I give a big thumbs up to them for re-doing it right, I'm not that interested in giving them $200 more when it should have been right the first time like 99 out of 100 other sets made) and I wonder how long the replacement discs will be available. Let's say I pick it up for $100 in a year and a half, if I need the replacement discs, while they still be available?

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Don't know if they'll be available in a year or more. That's why I would get it now. I just checked and dvdnowtv.com has the set for $99.95. At that price, I'm almost tempted to buy a second set.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
stevelecher said:
Don't know if they'll be available in a year or more. That's why I would get it now. I just checked and dvdnowtv.com has the set for $99.95. At that price, I'm almost tempted to buy a second set.
Don't be too tempted. That seems to be a bootleg site.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
buford2 said:
If anyone is interested in some behind the scenes stuff about certain episodes, this is the website of the director of four episodes. His name is Ralph Senensky. He's about 90 years old now, but he still remembers many interesting details. He has directed tons of 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's television shows. I have asked him for many details about The Fugitive in general, and he always replies within about half an hour. Really fascinating stuff. http://senensky.com/category/the-fugitive/
Thanks for the link, Dave. Absolutely fascinating! Ralph's recollections are highly informative and the attention to detail is amazing. Interesting also to read his insights into some shows that are not often written about such as: The Nurses, Breaking Point, Then Came Bronson, Arrest and Trial, Channing etc.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
dvdplanet.com has the set for $142.00 plus free shipping. Not bad and it's a legitimate site. I've bought from them before and had no problems.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
FanCollector said:
Don't be too tempted. That seems to be a bootleg site.
Noticed that too. When you click on "The Most Wanted" set though, they bring up a picture of the set, the description, including the bonus CD, is correct. They state the list price and their price, showing the percentage discount and it looks legit. After that, would they send a bootleg? I know what they say about things that seem to be too good to be true. I paid about $140.00 last October.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.