What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
If anyone noticed my interest in this thread picking up, well, there's a story behind it. Suffice it to say that I'm now the proud owner of the full-series MOST WANTED set, complete with all of the corrected discs, so I'm pretty happy with THE FUGITIVE again. It all happened in a round-about way, but I won't bore with details.

Between watching THE FUGITIVE again, MANNIX, and my STAR TREK Blu-rays, I'll be very busy watching classic TV.

Harry

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Harry-N said:
If anyone noticed my interest in this thread picking up, well, there's a story behind it. Suffice it to say that I'm now the proud owner of the full-series MOST WANTED set, complete with all of the corrected discs, so I'm pretty happy with THE FUGITIVE again. It all happened in a round-about way, but I won't bore with details.

Between watching THE FUGITIVE again, MANNIX, and my STAR TREK Blu-rays, I'll be very busy watching classic TV.

Harry
iw4vu1.jpg
Sounds like it's time for some
4icw7d.jpg
and
1qkeir.jpg

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Harry-N said:

Harry
Congrats Harry. Aren't those episodes with all the restored music just awesome to watch now? Without all the boring details, this set you have did require, at one time, replacement discs to complete it, correct?

Happy viewing, my friend.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
stevelecher said:
Congrats Harry. Aren't those episodes with all the restored music just awesome to watch now? Without all the boring details, this set you have did require, at one time, replacement discs to complete it, correct?

Happy viewing, my friend.
Yes, the set had bad discs and required replacements. The "round-about"-ness stems from actually acquiring the replacement discs first!

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
A few minor criticisms of the MOST WANTED set:

[*]I didn't expect the box that houses the set to be so big. It's too tall to fit on my DVD shelving, so I've had to remove the four multi-disc cases and put those on the shelf, which means that the outer box has to go elsewhere.
[*]The new full-season keep-cases no longer have episode descriptions inside, only titles and air dates. While I know the series pretty well, there are occasional titles of lesser-seen episodes that are not descriptive enough on their own. This makes the older cases more appealing for that alone. I suppose I could swap the old for the new cases, but I don't really want to do that.
[*]The color choices for the artwork on the four sets leave me wanting it just a bit different. If nothing else was done, reversing the S3 and S4 cover color choices would have been better, with the red cover signifying the color season.
[/list]
I do love however the fact that the S1 through S3 cases have extra hubs, where I can house the discs that needed replacing. To keep them from being confusing, I've turned them around on the hubs so that the label side faces down.

I also love the inclusion of the pilot film with its original non-Rugolo score, which sounded to me like it's largely composed of TWILIGHT ZONE scores along with other unfamiliar music.

Has anyone yet detailed the differences between the CD in this set and the old Silva Screen version? Both are approximately the same length, but I'm guessing that some selections have been broken up or combined differently in the newer CD. The new disc seems about a minute shorter.

Just some random chatter and observations here from a newish owner of the set.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I was reading a little bit in Mel Proctor's THE OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE FUGITIVE and noted some of the early considerations as to who would play Dr. Richard Kimble. Obviously David Janssen was the supreme choice, and I had difficulty envisioning some of the following in the role:

Gene Barry
Robert Lansing
Robert Culp
Tony Franciosa
Robert Stack
James Franciscus

Can you imagine some parallel universe somewhere where one of these gentlemen was chosen for the role?

Harry

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I can, somewhat, see Robert Lansing in the role though he was a bit too old at the time. Otherwise, can't really see any of those actors in the role. Janssen was really perfect here, wasn't he?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I see over in the blu-ray section that the 1993 movie is being re-released on blu-ray with some new extras, one of which is the pilot of the Tim Daly show. It's a shame then that no episodes of the original series are included. It would have been nice to see the show in high def, and to introduce it to viewers who might only know the Harrison Ford movie. (Not intended to spark discussion of the merits of the Ford film; I happen to like it, although I see why some Fugitive fans don't.)

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I like the Harrison Ford movie on its own terms but think it is so different from the series. The biggest difference is, in the movie, he is a Fugitive for about three weeks. He never even leaves town. The TV series chronicles what happens to a man as he gets beaten down and tries to survive for years on end. What does loneliness and despair do to him? Can he retain his humanity and stay true to himself? I revisit the series regularly and haven't watched the film in some time.BTW, in the series, how did Kimble know early on that the one armed man didn't stay in Indiana? What made him think his quarry moved all over the country like he did?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've always liked the movie too, as you say, on its own terms. It's a good chase thriller that uses some familiar names from the TV series, but a totally different animal. Movies don't have the luxury of running on and on and tend to be about something epic in the lives of the participants. TV series generally chronicle more day-to-day events in the lives of the characters. So in that sense, both the movie and the TV series were properly structured for their own media.

My guess about why Kimble left Indiana: well, we really don't know exactly what he did in the first few months of running as its not chronicled in the series. When we meet up with him in the pilot, he's already been a fugitive for some months, so, for all we know, he could have stayed in Indiana much of that un-chronicled time.

Harry

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
that is exactly what i was thinking - a completely different animal.

i think that is why people may tend to be disappointed - those who have actually watched the show.

when one is anticipation of one thing, and ends up with something completely different, their initial expectations can be dashed.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Actually, I loved the movie and thought for a big screen treatment that had to start and finish the story in one film, it was fantastic. Great performances all around. Ford made a great Kimble, since like Janssen, he is the perfect everyman. And, thanks to an on set injury, Ford even had The Kimble Limp when he ran in some scenes.

The best big screen remake of a classic series. Ever. It did the series proud.

I liked the TV remake in 2000 as well. I thought it was starting to get its legs when it was cancelled. Tim Day was also well cast, but I could have done without the "Kimble Hate" Gerard had. Considering the quality of the original series, both remakes had high bars to go for and they did pretty well, IMO.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was watching Set Fire to a Straw Man last night on the replacement DVD. You guys who are experts on the music, maybe you can confirm, but there's a point early on that sounds like replacement music. It just sounds not quite right, but I know I could be way wrong. If someone gets a chance, it's at the beginning as Jessie is getting mugged and Kimble is driving the truck. It's totally unfamiliar music (which doesn't necessarily mean anything) and it's very loud in a way that the Heyes music was loud. Again, I could be totally wrong, maybe it's NOB music I never herd before, but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Set Fire To A Straw Man was just trashed on the half season sets but the music you are hearing on the replacement set is fine. There are more unfamiliar moments in season 3 but they were always there and they were the cues that got replaced most in that S3,V2 package, making it one of the most annoying releases they put out.The series from 2000 with Tim Daly didn't connect emotionally for me like the 60's show. Didn't hate it but it was more action oriented, accounting for too much one armed man activity, which seemed like it was going to be over the top. I remember they had 2 or 3 episodes I thought were quite good, including a two parter that may have been their version of Never Wave Goodbye.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
stevelecher said:
Set Fire To A Straw Man was just trashed on the half season sets but the music you are hearing on the replacement set is fine. There are more unfamiliar moments in season 3 but they were always there and they were the cues that got replaced most in that S3,V2 package, making it one of the most annoying releases they put out.
Cool, thanks, Steve!

Lex411

Auditioning
Real Name
Lex
As a fan of "The Fugitive", I am looking to pick up the 'Most Wanted' set very soon, and without having to go back and look thru numerous posts, would someone be so kind to tell me what I need to do with replacement discs that I apparently need to call about?

I've viewed some posts, and see there's a number of discs I need to inquire about following the purchase of the set. I just want to make sure that I will do everything correctly with this issue.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Lex411 said:
As a fan of "The Fugitive", I am looking to pick up the 'Most Wanted' set very soon, and without having to go back and look thru numerous posts, would someone be so kind to tell me what I need to do with replacement discs that I apparently need to call about?

I've viewed some posts, and see there's a number of discs I need to inquire about following the purchase of the set. I just want to make sure that I will do everything correctly with this issue.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
Go to tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fugitive-The Complete Series. The article has the information you're looking for.

Also on Amazon's site you'll find images provided that explain what you need to do.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
on the average, how long does it take for a popular show like this to have a blu-ray put out after a dvd complete seasons is released ?

Users who are viewing this thread