Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Doug Wallen, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. stevelecher

stevelecher Supporting Actor

steve
    Does anyone other than me, like the subtle humor displayed in The Chinese Sunset? Kimble's discussions early on, with Penelope in the coffee shop, crack me up. When she asks her boyfriend, "What do you think I am, a factotem?" It's funny. I think this is one of those less suspenseful episodes that shine.Remember, a girl with looks don't need books.P.S. How about the one scene in Nicest Fella Ever, when Kimble hitches a ride with the guy at the gas station, who keeps making demands on the attendant. Again, Kimble's reactions are priceless.

2. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Absolutely. Janssen had a great sense of humor and a fabulous way of displaying it, even when acting in a serious show like THE FUGITIVE. There are some great moments not only in "The Chinese Sunset" but other shows too - the most obvious being "Angels Travel Lonely Roads" and to some extent its sequel.

There are quite a few throw-away lines that Janssen pulls off with perfection as he rolls his eyes and mutters under his breath throughout the series that are quite amusing. It keeps the show from being mired in grimness all the time, as even a man in constant danger once in awhile sees the humorous side of things.

Harry

3. Walsh61

Walsh61 Stunt Coordinator

Garth Lough
    How about the exchange between Janssen and Mickey Rooney in This'll Kill You:

Rooney - hey, what's this?
    Janssen - it's a business card for a fortune teller.
    Rooney - Oh really? You know I believe in that stuff.
    Janssen - what, fortune telling?
    Rooney - no in business cards.

I'm paraphrasing, but I like this episode and get laugh out of the sparks that fly with Rooney in it.

4. stevelecher

steve
    Garth, there was a time when I didn't think that highly of This'll Kill You. I like it better now because of Rooney, Nita Talbot, and just the chemistry and adult subject matter in this episode.It bugged me when Rooney's character tells Kimble in the afternoon that the cop came in looking for him, and then Kimble continues his daily activities like it's no big deal. He keeps driving that delivery truck all day, like there wouldn't have been an APB on it. Then, at night, he drives that truck right up to the front of the shop to go in and pack. A pretty good strategy for getting caught, IMO.

5. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    It's odd. I too was never overly fond of "This'll Kill You" and as such, I think it's an episode I've skipped over. I need to sit down one of these days and give this one a fresh viewing. It should almost seem like a new episode. All I recall is that it had Mickey Rooney as a guest star and had something to do with a laundromat.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Harry

6. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I'm not big on that episode either, guys. First off I'm not a huge Rooney fan to begin with. I don't dislike him or anything. He was fine when he was younger, and I actually like the "Andy Hardy" series. But as he got older he never really was a favorite of mine. And the episode in question did have some weird moments in it (they've already been mentioned so I won't rehash them). I often skip this one and will probably continue to do so. But to each his/her own.

Gary "then again, I really like 'Ticket to Alaska' while others don't - so there's no accounting for taste" O. :P

Jeff Willis likes this.
  7. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Same here about Rooney. As Gary knows, I'm a big "Andy Hardy series" movie fan but his later career didn't do a lot for me, just my take on it, even in the S3 "Combat" episode "Silver Service".

I had to look up "This'll Kill You" since I didn't recall it during these posts. I remember it now. It's an ok episode, in my middle of the pack group but that's because I can recall episodes that I rated below this one.

Gary OS likes this.
  8. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I gave it "This'll Kill You" a spin this evening and now recall the reasons why it often gets left out of our viewings. It's a pretty depressing episode. Rooney plays a down on his luck guy that we're supposed to be sympathetic with, but he still comes off as fairly unlikable - and that's pretty much the way all of the rest of the characters come off too.

It was interesting to see Philip Pine here as I'd just watched him in my latest MANNIX episode.

Still, it'll be a while before I'll want to watch this one again.

Harry

Jeff Willis likes this.
  9. Walsh61

Garth Lough
    Well I can see I'm definitely in the minority here but that's ok. It's not the first time and as Gary stated everyone has their own particular likes and dislikes with any series.

I watched it again today and found nothing really wanting in the execution of the episode. I'm not sure what it is that I like about this one, but I do enjoy watching it.

Despite some of the comedic relief provided by Mickey Rooney it's not a bright and upbeat story - nor is it supposed to be. It's gritty and seedy at times and I think that might be part of the appeal for me. It has that noir feel to it.

I enjoy the other episodes that have been mentioned by you guys as well - The Chinese Sunset, Angels Travel On Lonely Roads and Ticket To Alaska.

I just finished with Season Four tonight after going through the whole series again after receiving my replacement discs from CBS. It took a while but I got there. What a series! Other than the few clunkers early on in Season Four I find very little in The Fugitive to be wanting. Still my favorite show ever.

I'm enjoying everyones input on here.

10. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

I'm wondering if there's a misinterpretation of some posts about particular episodes. For example, in this series, imo, there's very few below-average episodes but that being said, the series (imo) is so good that someone's sub-par episode would still out-perform many other series' best moments.

When I rewatch the series, there'll probably be a few episodes where I'll pass on the rewatch but they will be few and far between when I revisit this show.

11. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Jeff speaks the truth. Even though "This'll Kill You" is not an episode I'll gravitate towards, but just by being an episode of THE FUGITIVE, it still ranks higher than most series out there.Oh, and put me on record as liking "Ticket To Alaska" too. I remember seeing that one for the first time as an ABC daytime rerun showing. The daytime prints I got to see on a UHF independent station in Philly were always grainy 16mm affairs. It's so nice to see the nicely mastered DVD version these days.I liked the whole trapped-on-a-ship scenario, and logistically, the only way for Kimble to get to Alaska was by sea, since by road he'd have had to have traveled through Canada, which would have proven difficult in his situation.The passengers and crew on that episode are a who's who of character actors and actresses.Harry

Gary OS and Jeff Willis like this.
  12. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

[​IMG]

I remember "Ticket to Alaska" back when I was watching the show with Mom, first-time viewing for both of us. I wasn't struck by it at that time but it's been a few years and I have a feeling that it'll play better for me with a revisit.

I always thought it interesting that Mom liked S4 better than me. I think that was due to her being mesmerized by this show. I was as well but Mom really loved watching the series. I had to field the same question every week "What's Kimble going to do this week?".

I liked S4 but just not quite as good as the B/W seasons.

She also thought that Barry Morse was amazing as the Lt. She kept saying.. "That profile...fits the role perfectly".

Professor Echo and Gary OS like this.
  13. 66KIMBLE

66KIMBLE Stunt Coordinator

I've taken a better liking to Ticket to Alaska due to guest star John Larkin. I've enjoyed John's work on Twelve O Clock High recently and appreciate any work he's in. The episode itself is middle of the road in general.

Jeff Willis likes this.
  14. stevelecher

steve
    Larkin did some good work on Perry Mason too. Like him a lot. I thought I read that he was the voice of Perry Mason on radio shows. He's always good.I'm always a bit analytical as to how believable some of Kimble's escapes are, as I commented up above on This'll Kill You. In Ticket To Alaska, I always wondered, knowing Kimble is a man with secrets who did not want to be turned over to the police, would the Captain have kept that information to himself because Kimble helped solve the murder? I guess he's one of many who saw the basic humanity of Kimble and decided to help out with his silence.

Jeff Willis likes this.
  15. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    For me, one of the biggest dog episodes is STORM CENTER from Season 1. I usually love storm set stories, but this thing was so implausible and overwrought as to be ridiculous. I like THE WITCH and genuinely love TICKET TO ALASKA, so STORM CENTER is my personal low point from Season 1 and close to the bottom of the series for me.

I'm still weighing some other ones I haven't particularly cared for, but agree with Harry and Jeff about the caliber of the series being so organically high that even ill conceived and executed episodes are still watchable.

Jeff Willis, Gary OS and stevelecher like this.
  16. Walsh61

Garth Lough
    It's always more believable when one of the women he encounters believes him and wants to help protect him, but when it's someone official like the Captain you mention or a law officer it's a little harder to swallow.

17. stevelecher

steve
    In four years, more than a couple of law officers gave a break to that suspicious guy who nevertheless did the right thing.

18. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

well, it is a tv show. so not everything can be 100% believable.

but take a look at kimble. how many real criminals would act that conscientiously ?

he often put himself at risk, to help others, and do the right thing.

i think it would be hard, even for a police officer, to turn someone over like this, when in so doing he is gonna get executed.

these people did not just let him go cuz he had a handsome face. they all witnessed stuff that would put severe doubts in one's mind as to his guilt.

i dont recall the specifics of any show, like the most of you, since i havent watched it since its original airings.

but it is still my favorite show, and i still recall it well, in terms of generalities.

dang - i dont think i could be that caring for others, if i had been kimble !!

it was certainly a lesson on how to conduct one's self !! which is what i liked most about the show.

19. stevelecher

steve
    You are right Jimmyjet. Man, you need to get this set and revisit these episodes if it's been that long since you've seen this. A bunch of us are sort of nitpicking about certain things in the series, but I can't tell you how much entertainment and joy I've received these last few years rewatching, a number of times, this great, great series. And now to have it in virtual perfect, NOB quality, is almost a dream come true.

Walsh61 and Jeff Willis like this.
  20. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

hi steve,

i do plan to get it. i have so much stuff to view, that i am gonna wait until i can buy a set from amazon without having to go thru the extra hassle of exchanging disks.

i do plan to look into blu-ray, but i think i put that a little bit on the back-burner.

i figure the shows that i like a lot, i may get in that format.

so who knows, a blu-ray fugitive may be out, by the time i am ready to buy ??

currently, i am watching the beave, and the universe from the history channel.

i havent viewed over the air tv in about 5 years, and never will again.

i will end up with more dvds than i will probably have the time to watch. so i cant see any sense in watching a bunch of silly commercials.

this way, i can see the whole show, from beginning to end, no commercials, and any dang time i want - what could be better than that !!!!!

Jeff Willis likes this.