Fuel Injector Cleaner

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clinton McClure, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I've never used it before. Does anyone here use it and if so, in what type of vehicle and what type of engine with what mileage?
    I'm coming up on 47k miles and am wondering if this is something I might want to use or if it's automotive snake oil.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'd like to know, too. But at my local car wash it's only $2.99 for the bottle, so even if it is snake oil, it's not like it'll break the bank if you try it.
    If you don't get an answer, why not be the beta tester? [​IMG] Then come back and tell us if you see/feel a difference...

3. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

3 bucks is really high, most stuff is about $1.50 from PepBoys. It should not make you notice any difference; even if the fuel line and injectors are clogged, which they should not be on USA fuel, and especially at 47k. Maybe in Mexico, where it's 50:50 ratio with donkey piss,...
    I always get a bottle of that stuff when buying stuff to change oil. If for nothing else get it as a prophylactic.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

5. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Is that really the #1 definition in 'American' that is associated with the word 'prophylactic' ? Never heard it used in anybody's daily vocabulary, that must be the reason [​IMG]

6. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Those el-cheapo fuel system cleaners are mostly crap. The Chevron Techron concentrate (around $7-9 a bottle) and the Valvoline Synpower synthetic complete fuel system cleaner (about $9-10 a bottle) actually do work are as good as you can get without a true fuel injection cleaning you would get from your local mechanic. They are best used with several hot/cold cycles of the car. If you plan on burning the tank of gas in a 4 hour ride on the interstate just hold off putting the stuff in your car. It is most effective if you get the car up to operating temp then stop the car and let the car "hot soak". So if you're planning on doing a bunch of short 5-10min trips in the car the additive will be most effective.
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

7. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

In the past I used the Chevron fuel system cleaner on my '67 Camaro when it started to feel a little sluggish. I got pretty good results from the stuff...the car always felt a little more responsive after using a bottle. I dunno, you might not be in awe of the results, but the better fuel system cleaners, if used regularly, will probably save you on future repairs down the road.
    ------------------
    My DVD's

8. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I have been using the Chevron Techon fuel injector cleaner for the past five years in my '90 Integra. It had about 60K and now has 110K. It never had a injector problem. I bought the stuff at Costco at $5 for 2 pack until they stopped selling it.
    Then I noticed at Pep boys, they sold two versions, one regular injector cleaner and one injector and valve cleaner. It's only a dollar more.
    They don't improve performance, but do slow down degradation beause of clogged fuel systems.

9. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Thanks for the responses, guys. In the past, I've had a mechanic clean my injectors and I didn't know if this stuff was comparable for a fraction of the cost. Another too good to be true scenario.
    Thanks again. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint
    [Edited last by Clinton on October 22, 2001 at 02:58 PM]

10. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

FYI if you are borderline on a emissions test throw some of the Valvoline Synpower Complete Fuel system cleaner in your car... it'll drop your emissions while it burn up and might lower you enough to pass.
    -Jin
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater