What's new

FS: iScan HD. (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The DVDO iScan HD is a great de-interlacer and scaler and does more things than I guess I even really need. I also have the iScan ULTRA which I'll use instead. The HD probably makes the picture better in my situation, but I am in serious need of cash and since nobody is interested in my iScan Ultra, I'll have to sell the iScan HD. As far as condition, it has a mark on the end of it from being dropped by the previous owner, but its in perfect shape otherwise and works fine. Comes with original box, manual and remote and a couple of cables (A VGA to component cable and a serial cable).

Clarifying the main differences between the Ultra and the HD.

The iScan Ultra is a video processor with the SiL 504 de-interlacer (best one out there period). The Ultra takes video and de-interlaces it and in most cases line doubles to 480 progressive and outputs via a VGA or DVI cable. The Ultra has zoom and aspect ratio functions, digitla noise reduction and other features and acts as a video switcher with too component, too composite and two s-video inputs. For most regular widescreen projectors or displays of 856 x 484 resolution (16:9) the Ultra s is more than enough.

The iScan HD is essentially similar to the iScan Ultra except that it has a scaler so you can output other than 480 p. You can output 540p, 720p, 1080i, 960p or even 1080p for instance. For projectors or other HD displays (plasma, LCD, CRT or DLP TV's) with 960 x 540 p or 1280 x 720p resolution or up to 1920 x 1080p, the HD can feed the proper resolution. The HD also has other features such as the lip synch feature, which matches the audio and video timing more precisely (there is an audio input and output on the HD). Also the HD can operate at frequencies other than 60 hz.

Specifically for the iScan HD in terms of frequencies or "refresh rates"......

The iScan HD can be used at frequencies other than 60 hz. You can use it locked, or at different frequencies. I don't really know how all this works in terms of what works best for what, and I think I've left it as it was, but from the manual:

Under the FRC settings (FRC = Frame Rate Conversion)

For 50 hz input sources (I imagine 50 hz is mostly for PAL sources) , the available settings are:
50 L - source locked 50 hz
75 L - source locked 75 hz
UNLK - unlocked

For 60 hz input source (60hz is NTSC, thats for us here in North America, at least for me anyways), the available settings are:

48 L - source locked 48 hz
60 L - source locked 60 hz
72 L - source locked 72 hz
UNLK - unlocked

$850.00 CDN (or equivalent in USD) plus shipping, prefer local Southern Ontario or Greater Toronto Area sale.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Wow. This is one dead summer. I checked around and my asking price is perfectly reasonable, a deal in fact. I'd like to keep this but I'm in need of cash. Anybody?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i suggest cross listing on avsforum.com. the members there typically care more about video processors from what i gather. i'd like to buy it, but i'm still working on other things (new screen, sdi upgrade, splitting two-channel and home theater systems....) so i don't have the funds. good luck with the sale.

kevin t

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanx, but there is a new charge over there for posting, so the closest I've come to posting an ad there is modifying my iScan Ultra post from before they charged money.

:)

Gregg Hart

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris,

I may be interested. Can you tell me how much of a diff does the scaler make on a progressive scan DVD signal (480o) when upping it to 540p or 1080i? Meaning if I can get a nice 480p signal now, will a DVD scaled to 540p or 1080i give much of an increase in noticeable quality? My HDTV does not have HDMI so the new upconverter DVD players is not an option. Thanks.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
All depends on your display and whether or not the display does good scaling. My Hitachi PJ TX100 does very good scaling, so I don't need the HD that much and can do with 480p from, say the iScan Ultra or the iScan Pro. Still, the HD does make the picture look a fair bit better at 720p, but its not a huge difference in my case. For 540p projectors, I know that the 480p of the Ultra looks good on for instance, the Sanyo Z1, but every once in a while, I saw a weird flub, so that the picture had some tearing in it. Not so with the TX100 which is 720p.

I don't see a big difference between DVI and VGA in my situation.

About AVS, I tried to post a new ad and I can't remember exactly, but it either sent me to join the club for $30 or $35 a month or a year or something, or just wouldn't let me post a new ad. Thats fine. They've had that before and I just don't use it. I'm cheap when I'm buying and selling things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks