What's new

Frustrated with skips in TNG (1 Viewer)

Jack_F

Stunt Coordinator
I have bought all seasons of Star Trek: TNG that have been released so far, and I'm very dissapointed with Paramount's apparent lack of quality control.

My season 2 had a skip on one of the discs so I returned it to my retailer and got a new one, which I had to return again because one of the employees at the retailer wrote on the box (this is unrelated to the skips, but I just needed to explain why I returned the second box) so I got season 2 for a third time, and sure enough, the same skip was there that was in the first copy I bought. Since it wasn't too bad, I just decided to keep it.

My season 3 disc 7 was totally defective. The second episode on the disc wouldn't play at all, the first one played, but about 2/3 of the way through had a ton of digital skips and the episode just stopped. So I went to my retailer with just disc 7, I didn't want to return the whole box because then I wouldn't know if the new box had skips on discs 1-6 unless I rewatched all the episodes, which I didn't want to do. So I exchanged out a new disc 7 from another season 3 box. I just tried it out and sure enough there is a skip on this new disc as well!

So, I just wanted to vent a little about this and to ask if others have had the same problem with TV box sets, Star Trek or otherwise...

-Jack

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Jack_F wrote:
Oooohhh, yes. I haven't bought any of the Trek boxed sets yet, but I have had a similar experience with The X-Files; the damned "skips" all over the place, even after repeated set exchanges.
Finally, I had to stop buying them. Who wants to pay upwards of $100 per set for the picture to skip every time you turn around?
And, in fact, I've found the defect rate (esp. of "skips") quite high on DVD. Geez, I thought the "bad old days" of laserdisc were supposed to be gone.
So, what do they (the studios' homevideo divisions) expect us to do?

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten all four seasons of TNG so far, and had none of the problems that you had. Having done packaging QA, I would say that overall, the studios and makers have had very few problems. Sure, I've had to return a few disks (including a copy of Lawrence of Arabia that had glue on the second disk), but it's been about 3-4 out of 365 disks. I would have to agree with Joshua, that the problem is probably hardware related.
John.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Jack, I also have all four sets and have watched virtually all the first three seasons and the first couple of discs of the 4th season with no problems whatsoever.

I am using a cheap Toshiba 2800 and its working great. Haven't tried it much with my RP91 though.

Patrick

I also have all 4 as yet released seasons of TNG and have not found a skip in any episode. I have watched all of the first 3 seasons and some of the fourth. I am using a Toshiba 5109 DVD player. I was generally quite impressed by Paramount's effort on these.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I've got the first season of ST:TNG and all five seasons of X-Files and haven't had a problem yet. If possible, try the deffective disc on another DVD player and see if it does the same thing.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I have to say there has been nary a problem on my RP91 with either the 4 ST:TNG or the 4 seasons of X Files I have. Sorry you're having trouble, though.

Jack_F

Stunt Coordinator
I'm fairly certain that it's not hardware related. I've tried these discs on multiple players and the same problem occurs.

-Jack

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I've had no problems thus far viewing any of the ST:TNG sets on my Sony players; and I'm up to Disk 5 of Season Four right now.

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I also have all 4 tng's and all 5 X files and have had zero skips on my Pioneer DVL-919. Most of my problems have been with Disney titles.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
If it is a disc issue, then some of you are just incredibly unlucky. I have all 4 TNG boxed sets and had 0 problems with the first 3 seasons and Im a little way into season 4 and still no problems. I have 341 DVDs total and the only disc I ever had a problem on was Anchor Bay's Space Camp. Even my Contact and Ghostbusters still play fine! :)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Can I ask a question ... are retailers (I'm thinking Best Buy and Circuity City, that kind of store) generally open to the idea of just replacing the disk you know is bad?
I had to take my Sopranos season one set back for a scratched disk and the store's only other set also had a scratched disk. Mine was disk 2, his was disk 4. So he gave me disk 2 out of his set, and I went home happy.
This seems ideal to me because (a) the store is going to have one set it has to deal with anyway, (b) by just replacing the known bad disk, you don't have to re-watch all the other disks in the set to make sure that they are not now bad, too.
Or is all of this just so obvious that no one talks about it? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks