What's new

Fruit Fly infestation! HELP! (1 Viewer)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
My wife bought some tomatoes and left them on the counter. Well the tomatoes are long gone, but the fruit flies that came with them remain AND ARE INCREASING! Need advice before I am overrun.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They breed in your drains, pour boiling water mixed with Borax down them.

Use the vacuum cleaner to suck them out of the air. It's fun AND it works!

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Maybe its just the east coast but they seam to be in large quantities this year. A little trick I learned is to take a bowl, put some vinegar in it and add some dishwash soap. They are attracted to the vinegar and are killed by the soap. It works!!

Bill

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
actually, the soap breaks the surface tension on the water, and when they land they drown instead of float

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Thanks, guys! Did the bowls of vinegar/soap and have noticed a reduction.:emoji_thumbsup:

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Wow. I'm glad this post came up. I too had some fruit I left out on the counter in a wooden bowl. Something got put on top of the fruit and we forgot about it and BAM! Tons of fruit flies everywhere. They are almost all gone now but I'm going to clean out the drains with the boiling water and borax tonight. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks