FRT/CNTR SPEAKER PLACEMENT HEIGHT?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by monoverb, Jun 26, 2007.

1. monoverb

monoverb Auditioning

Afternoon all..
    Setting up a new theater... across the front it's 3 Triad LCR in walls.. these speakers are quite tall.. the tweeters have a 30 degree dispersion pattern. Question i have is HOW LOW can I mount them? My display should be at eye level..obviously I cant have the speakers at ear level... so given the 30 degree dispersion.. if i get out a triangle and some string I suppose I can get a good idea of where the sound is gonna go..right?

or am i overthinking this whole mess?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You want to get them as close to ear level as possible, basically.

3. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

More specifically, try to get the tweeters as close to your seated listening level as you can, and your center channel tweeter be within +/-2 vertical feet of the L/R channel tweeters (so that the imaging doesn't 'pull' up or down).

Dispersion is more about listening area coverage.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Why can't you have the L/R at ear level? The center can be above or below the monitor. I prefer above, but some people prefer below.

5. monoverb

monoverb Auditioning

Thanks all... really it became a question of asthetics... A little planning would have gone a long way.
    I'm re-thinking it now in PROJECTOR terms.. may mount the speakers at the ideal height with a screen that allows sound through it..so the speaker mounting height would no longer be an issue.