What's new

Digital Review Frozen Digital 3D Review (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ejanss said:
....Anything else that's been made since we (thankfully) kicked Eisner out? Like the song says, let it go.
I care not for Disney, never have...ergo...^^^ "What??"

You might want to give both Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph a try (before moving on to Bolt and Meet the Robinsons), as they're currently the state of the studio. I'm of the opinion they're both a lot better than this one--which I thought was too Lifetime-skewed, too much of a Tony-stagebound Broadway musical, had a heroine reduced to sitcom-babbling, and lacked the emotional pathos of both Ralph and Rapunzel--but that's just IMHO.
Been tempted by Tangled. WiR just isn't my type of movie. Sad part, the whole "was it lesbian?" aspect of Frozen is right up my alley...sadly though, Disney is not. If the UK 3D is a 2-disc package with a 2D BD included(I don't even know), I might be persuaded to buy just the 2D disc. Then I'd probably donate it to the town library.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Jesse Skeen said:
Remembering DIVX, that failed pay-per-use DVD format that was a topic of intense hatred back in 1998-99 but seems to have been mostly forgotten about now, I have to say that this scheme of releasing stuff via 'digital' weeks ahead of disc feels very similar to DIVX. Buying a movie this way is about the same as buying an unlimited-play DIVX disc- you can only watch it on your registered devices, and it can be taken off-line at any time for any reason. The industry is pushing towards this by releasing titles early, but I will NEVER buy a movie this way, and if it becomes the only way to buy movies then I will just stop buying them period. It's just a bit disheartening that people aren't as up in arms about this as they were with DIVX.
Didn't DIVXs failure bankrupt Circuit City? The more that employees came to its defense the more the noose was tightened by public sentiment. A lesson learned from Disney's complete silence ?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
RolandL said:
So you can buy the UK Blu-ray 3D for $30 including shipping to the US, that has Get a Horse in 3D and extras. Or, you can pay $40 for the same except it's the digital version and Get a Horse is in 2D.
For those interested, Get A Horse 3D is separately available on PSN Store for $3.99.
(Pretty sure it isn't on Vudu's, but haven't checked.)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Jesse Skeen said:
Remembering DIVX, that failed pay-per-use DVD format that was a topic of intense hatred back in 1998-99 but seems to have been mostly forgotten about now, I have to say that this scheme of releasing stuff via 'digital' weeks ahead of disc feels very similar to DIVX. Buying a movie this way is about the same as buying an unlimited-play DIVX disc- you can only watch it on your registered devices, and it can be taken off-line at any time for any reason. The industry is pushing towards this by releasing titles early, but I will NEVER buy a movie this way, and if it becomes the only way to buy movies then I will just stop buying them period. It's just a bit disheartening that people aren't as up in arms about this as they were with DIVX.
Yes but the difference is that unlike DIVX this is much more popular. If they chose to remove films and not allow access it would be a pr and legal nightmare for the studios.

Also while you have to register your devices this is doing no good in the war on piracy when you can already find Frozen 3D files on the internet. Streams and downloads are being purged of protections just like their physical counterparts (house of cards is another example a day after it was released on netflix they were already out there for download). Sad for the studios really.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Paul Hillenbrand said:
Didn't DIVXs failure bankrupt Circuit City? The more that employees came to its defense the more the noose was tightened by public sentiment. A lesson learned from Disney's complete silence ?
Yes but electronic sell thru is gaining in popularity and not in the same ballpark as DIVX where adoption was paltry. Like it or not sell thru of films in both download form and streams (for sale) is here now and useage is increasing steadly.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
McCrutchy said:
Did HTF really need to legitimize (and draw attention to) the 3D download by reviewing it officially?

I realize that it's Home Theater Forum and not Physical Media Forum, but I don't want to live in a world that acknowledges virtual digital files (3D or not) as part of home theater.

The recent going on with Netflix removing and constantly re-shuffling digital content has proved what I strongly suspected--that embrace of streaming and downloading is a loss for the consumer (and, especially, the enthusiast) and a win for the studio.

The less press these formats get, the better.
Please tell me how a download purchase is a loss for me??? Dont think they can purge the file from my server like they can a netflix stream.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Yes but electronic sell thru is gaining in popularity and not in the same ballpark as DIVX where adoption was paltry.
Oh, but they really WANTED DIVX to be the Next Big Thing. And "electronic sell thru" being more "popular" is cause for concern, not to just accept it.

Sold content can still be taken off-line at any time for any reason. Just ask anyone who bought adult movies on Vudu before Wal-Mart bought the company and removed them.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Does anyone know if Vudu movies are ever updated....i.e. have they ever replaced a movie on their servers with a new or updated master? And is that new master available to people who currently own that movie or only people who purchase it from that point on?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I imagine it's just one master per title- I've heard they've fixed stuff that was in the wrong ratio, or more commonly uploads with obvious picture or sound problems. Of course that also means that if Disney finds any hidden obscenities or what-not (like the dust spelling out "SEX" in The Lion King) they can cut that out, and if Star Wars ever gets on Vudu it'll be constantly updated with whatever George Lucas' latest tweaks are. Just more reasons why I can't collect movies on this.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jesse Skeen said:
I imagine it's just one master per title- I've heard they've fixed stuff that was in the wrong ratio, or more commonly uploads with obvious picture or sound problems. Of course that also means that if Disney finds any hidden obscenities or what-not (like the dust spelling out "SEX" in The Lion King) they can cut that out, and if Star Wars ever gets on Vudu it'll be constantly updated with whatever George Lucas' latest tweaks are. Just more reasons why I can't collect movies on this.
George Lucas won't be doing anymore tweaks to the Stars Wars film and i thought the word was SFX with the meaning being special effects and not SEX, i think it's easy enough to mix up the F with an E though and see that word.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
FoxyMulder said:
George Lucas won't be doing anymore tweaks to the Stars Wars film and i thought the word was SFX with the meaning being special effects and not SEX, i think it's easy enough to mix up the F with an E though and see that word.
I'd be shocked if Lucas isn't right now working on the "Disney Editions" of the Star Wars films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
George Lucas won't be doing anymore tweaks to the Stars Wars film...
I know George Lucas is (claiming to be) retired but I highly doubt that Disney would say no if he wanted to come back and add more stuff to the movies for a future video release or theatrical re-release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks