Blu-ray Review Frozen Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Matt Hough, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Well ... That's why I've also purchased the March 18th 2D domestic release. We won't be in a big hurry to get it in 3D.Still *really upset* with Disney right now ...

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    And especially with its Oscar wins, I would think a fully-loaded edition of the film on Blu-ray would be a no-brainer. There has simply GOT to be one down the road.

Mark Walker likes this.
  3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

Thanks, Matt, for the great review.

This is the first Disney animated film that truly left me with a post film high in over ten years. I don't think the plot is the strongest in Disney's catalog, but the characters and the great inversion of Disney's usual final outcomes more than make up for it.

You mentioned Wicked.
    The funny thing is, with Elsa, I do think they got the best of Wicked. They put Idina/Elphaba's voice inside Kristen Chenowith/Galinda's body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Matt Hough likes this.
  4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

No 3D, no sale- and shame on Di$ney for releasing this early on 'digital'- AKA the new DIVX!

5. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    It is disappointing that the two Disney films from the last year most worth getting on Blu-ray 3D (Oz and Frozen) are the two that seem to have had the most misguided home release strategies.

SFMike likes this.
  6. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    So, you're calling it a "strategy", then? That's............charitable. :rolleyes:

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    It is true, though. Disney botched both of those home video releases experimenting with alternative delivery systems, and both seemingly (I can't speak authoritatively about Frozen since I've only seen it in 2D) their strongest arguments for 3D in the home in its current incarnation.

8. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    If nothing else, Frozen did just cross the $1 billion mark in worldwide box office the other day, and I'm sure 3D showings probably helped with that.

I'm usually not any kind of cheerleader for 3D; I think it's been overused and run into the ground, like a lot of film technologies. But I felt this particular film made some genuinely creative use of it.