Frozen 3D Bungle?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Pre-ordered it late last week along with 101 DALMATIANS, which came on Weds. From the UK. Screen Archives and TCM, please take a page out of Amazon.co.uk's book.

2. Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr Second Unit

Perhaps Lori MacPherson has moved on, but I would encourage BVHE to continue to honor their previous commitment; from Disney's 2011 press release, and I quote:
    “As our contemporary library of 3D content continues to grow, and the original artists and filmmakers meticulously 'dimensionalize' their work for release on the Blu-ray 3D format, we will be offering movie-lovers the most incredible in-home entertainment experience they will ever have,” noted Lori MacPherson, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. “In addition to offering new releases day-and-date in 3D and further cementing our leadership in the marketplace, we're thrilled that consumers will have the exclusive Blu-ray 3D experience of two of the most celebrated Disney animated features, THE LION KING and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, in their homes.”

800-723-4763 (U.S.)
    888-877-2843 (Canada)
    http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/ContactUs

3. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I also ordered the 3D UK version. I'm waiting to see if there's some new information between now and then before cancelling the US version.

4. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    All Disney would have to do is remind you that they are releasing the 3D version before the day-and-date of the 2D version by streaming it on February 25. They are just very tight lipped about expanding the information about this smaller demographic test on the U.S. infrastructure because of consumer hostility and fears as a concern for greater public arousal.

5. Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr Second Unit

No that wouldn't cut it for me. The press release is very obviously regarding "Blu-ray 3D", not streaming services. Unless and until the Mouse abandons the BD format entirely it just doesn't fly with me.

6. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    So what's the story on the 3D version now? Is the retailer-exclusive 3D release cancelled? The UK release is the only one? Are they holding back the 3D version to try and get people to buy it twice?

7. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand
    No U.S. pre-order for a 3D release at this time. Frozen 3D U.S. Streaming to begin February 25. When asked and to my knowledge, Disney is giving no other information to date.

8. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    Well I'm still waiting for Rango 3D and haven't bought the 2D version to prevent double dipping (or its like $5). Hopefully Disney won't do the same thing with Frozen 3D

9. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I'm definitely willing to wait 'em out. I have plenty of other releases to keep me interested in the meantime.

10. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand
    If I remember right, Rango was a 2D only theatrical release. :huh: Don't remember a discussion about a 3D conversion or even better yet would have been a recapture of original elements like Pixar does to recreate their CGI films natively. :3dglasses:

Rio is a similar named title that was released in 3D.

11. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    Okay, my bad. I swear Rango was in 3D in the theaters and I find I am not the only one with this delusion. Weird how so many people can think it was 3D in the theater and it wasn't. Maybe there was talk of a 3D blu-ray release some time back and that was just a rumor and I converted the rumor to 3D theatrical release but no 3D blu-ray.

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Rango would be great in 3D.

13. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Through what streaming service? I don't think iTunes supports 3D yet.

14. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Cinematographer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Most likely, VUDU or PSN. Both services support 3D streaming.

15. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Ron, is your Samsung a plasma (I don't want to give up those deep blacks)? What model and size do you use? I might consider a purchase just to see DIAL "M" looking decent for once.

16. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I'm not Ron but that's a Samsung F8500 and it's 64 inch in size, it's being rumoured that Samsung will release a cheaper stripped down version of the F8500 later this year. It's good to see plasma hasn't been abandoned by the manufacturers just yet.

17. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    If you're holding them to that, better first make sure they CAN release them day-date. What if--let's take a scenario, what if there's a disk problem?--they can't release the 3D? Do they hold back their studio-tentpole mass-market 2D release that would've constituted one of their year's biggest sellers for the Easter family-video market?
    Oh, and guess where I'm going with this one.

As pointed out in another thread, there's been rumors that in-house Disney Club retailers have already been told there were manufacturing problems with the 3D disk, and fans have similarly suspected that missing their big day-date rollout would mean a better rolled-out double-dip hype for the 3D version later this year. If you're still on "They're being mean, greedy, and/or inscrutably plotting!" from last January, get with the program.
    Vudu does and already has it for preorder. Possibly PSN Store too (although they don't preorder, so we won't know till then).
    Strange, there sure doesn't seem to be a problem with the soft 3D master...

18. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    They've been mis-manufacturing more than their fair share of titles (one is too many). Remember that big wave of catalog titles from 2012 and how many had to be postponed due to mastering errors? And those switched shots from The Little Mermaid? I suppose it's better than letting it get out the wrong way.

19. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Quality control on blu ray seems worse than ever, does no one actually look at these things, to name a few titles that have never been corrected, Hurry Sundown and The Big Country, both stretched and atrocious and Disney are also making mistakes too often.

20. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I don't buy that there are problems with manufacturing the 3D discs. I would if it had been announced then postponed, not to mention there aren't any problems with the UK release (assuming it ships on time).