Frozen 3D Bungle?! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jason,

I think you and I agree that the studios wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot by trying to hurt their 3D sales.

I have a different take on THE LITTLE MERMAID 3D getting pulled theatrically...

First, it is my understanding that theatrical sales declined with each Disney 3D converted classic theatrical release.

Second, I don't think MERMAID was a good candidate for 3D conversion. I believe it was the last of the hand-drawn animated titles and it just didn't look that great in 3D. That's my opinion. Perhaps the studio felt this way as well and decided not to push it theatrically.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Agreed, Ron. They want 3D to take off like there's no tomorrow. That's why I don't totally understand this move. They're limiting who will be able to buy the 3D version instead of making it as wide as possible. If the movie bombed and Disney needed someone to step up and supply money to offset some cost, I could understand that. But I don't think that's happening. I'll be curious to see how the 3D exclusive release stacks up to previous 3D editions.

As for Little Mermaid, that could very well be true, though I also wonder if three conversions being released in the same calendar year has anything to do with it. Beauty and the Beast, Finding Nemo and Monster's Inc. all received theatrical release in 2012. That's in addition to the regular Disney releases plus anything else in 3D that hit the screen. I wouldn't expect the audience to turn out for every 3D movie based on that alone.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Of course they don't want to kill 3D. That's why they released the "killer app" Avatar as a manufacturer exclusive. That's why they release 3D titles at $40 and more. That's why the "In your face" mode is seldom used. They may not want to kill 3D, but they sure seem to be trying. :(

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There's something in another thread I read this morning. I don't know if it's true or not...but, apparently, for every Disney title WalMart leaks ahead of the actual announcement, they get a 30 day suspension from selling that title. According to the post, they should be able to sell the 3D exclusive of Frozen 30 days from the reported 3.18.14 release date.

Again, no clue if this is accurate or what this means for the exclusive. Just another weird piece of info.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Disney 3D releases are becoming a conundrum of events. :wacko: With the Frozen 3D exclusive in the works I wonder if the-powers-that-be will spend money on embellishing a lenticular slip-cover design for increasing the consumer keepsake value or decide to again go The Little Mermaid route with a slimmed-down-budget design? :angry:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Sam Favate said:
Couldn't they have called it The Snow Queen rather than use a generic title, like they did with Tangled?
Another consideration: Disney is rather fiendishly protective of copyright and likes to muddy the waters as to when copyright expires on its product (as we frequently see a notice on the backs of DVD/BD releases indicating "2012 Home Video Release" or similar nonsense). By using a title other than the one on which the film is based, they can create a quasi-trademark that distinguishes their release as being exclusively Disney. Yet another theory: it distinguishes their films from the frequent DTV knockoffs we see on store shelves.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
...will the extras still be the same, minus the digital music download?

Also, Frozen was one of those movies I was ready to hate with a bloody vengeance. Everything I saw in terms of marketing and behind the scenes interviews all pointed to deliberate downplaying of the female characters, sexist views of animating women, and having the story seem to focus on that annoying Snowman. Now after seeing it, it's one of my favorite films of the whole year. I don't know who's in charge of Disney's marketing, but they are the epidemy of making a fantastic movie look terrible.

As for Walmart? Well, shoot.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Disney's marketing obviously worked for them, as the movie is a huge success. This kind of thing will no doubt continue.

And although it wasn't their intention, I did sort of enjoy not knowing what I was about to see in the movie for once -- not having had a series of previews disclose the entire plot, like every other movie does.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Seems to me they're trying something else with their 3d releases after the "Great and Poweful Oz" debacle (no 2d version and no extras in the 3d set). The term "customer-centric" doesn't really seem to be in Disney's vocabulary.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Christian Preischl said:
Seems to me they're trying something else with their 3d releases after the "Great and Poweful Oz" debacle (no 2d version and no extras in the 3d set). The term "customer-centric" doesn't really seem to be in Disney's vocabulary.
Disney has always tried to extract every last $ they could from the customer. They take advantage of kids who desperately want the product, who will then nag their parents to get it, and the kids don't care about the price. Parents may still see value in the exorbitant purchase since the kids will watch the disc 10 times in the first 2 days. Heckuva baby sitter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
FROZEN Box Art.jpg
297D3FC9-781A-434E-B48E-2B39F291FF18.jpg
Available on Digital HD February 25th and Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD & On-Demand March 18th

Film Synopsis: Walt Disney Animation Studios presents a chilly twist on one of the most humorous and heartwarming stories ever told. “Disney Animation’s best since The Lion King” (William Bibbiani, CraveOnline) will melt your heart.
Fearless optimist Anna sets off on an epic journey — teaming up with rugged mountain man Kristoff and his loyal reindeer Sven — to find her sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Encountering Everest-like conditions, mystical trolls and a hilarious snowman named Olaf, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom.
Bring home Frozen on Blu-ray High Definition — featuring a blizzard of never-before-seen bonus extras with gorgeous animation, memorable characters and unforgettable music. It’s dazzling fun for the whole family!

Voice Cast: Kristen Bell (“Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” “Hit & Run,” Showtime’s “House of Lies,” Broadway’s “The Crucible”) as Anna; Idina Menzel (Broadway’s “Wicked” and “Rent,” “Enchanted”) as Elsa; Jonathan Groff (2013 Sundance Film Festival’s “C.O.G,” “Taking Woodstock,” Fox's “Glee,” Broadway’s “Spring Awakening”) as mountain man Kristoff; Josh Gad (“The Internship,” “Love & Other Drugs,” Broadway’s “The Book of Mormon”) as the lovable snowman Olaf; Santino Fontana (Broadway’s “Cinderella,” “Brighton Beach Memoirs,” “Billy Elliot”) as Hans; Alan Tudyk (King Candy in “Wreck-It Ralph,” “42”) as the Duke of Weselton; Ciarán Hinds (“Game of Thrones”) as Pabbie & Chris Williams (“Bolt,” “Prep & Landing”-executive producer/story by) as Oaken

Directors: Chris Buck (Disney Animation veteran and director of Oscar®-nominated films “Tarzan,” “Surf’s Up”) & Jennifer Lee (screenwriter of the Oscar-nominated “Wreck-It Ralph” and the first female director in Disney Animation feature history)

Producer: Peter Del Vecho (“The Princess and the Frog,” “Winnie the Pooh”)

Screenplay by: Jennifer Lee (Wreck-It Ralph)

Original Songs by: Kristen Anderson-Lopez (“In Transit,” “Winnie the Pooh”) & Robert Lopez (Tony® Award winner, “The Book of Mormon,” “Avenue Q”)

Original Score Christophe Beck (“The Hangover” movies, Oscar®-winning short “Paperman”)
Composed by:

Release Dates: Digital HD & Digital 3D: February 25th, 2014
Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD & On-Demand: March 18th, 2014
Direct Prebook: January 21, 2014
Distributor Prebook: February 4, 2014

Packaging: 2-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) & 1-Disc DVD

New Bonus Features: · The Making Of Frozen (Blu-ray, Digital)
· D’frosted: Disney’s Journey From Hans Christian Anderson to Frozen (Blu-ray, Digital)
· Breaking The Ice - The Real Making Of Frozen (Blu-ray, Digital)
· 4 Deleted Scenes with introduction by Directors Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee
· Original Theatrical Short - “Get A Horse” (Blu-ray, Digital & DVD)
· “Let It Go” Music Videos by Demi Lovato, Martina Stoessel & Marsha Milan Londoh (Blu-ray, Digital & DVD)
· Frozen Teaser Trailer (Blu-ray, Digital & DVD)
*Digital bonus offerings will vary per retailer
Feature Run Time: Approx. 102-minutes

Rated: US: PG / Canada: G (CE and CF)

Aspect Ratio: Blu-ray: 1080p High Definition • 2.39:1
DVD: 2.39:1 • Enhanced for 16x9 Televisions

Sound: Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks
DVD: English 5.1 and DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital; Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks
Languages/ English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles (Applies To Film Content Only)
Subtitles:
To learn more visit: Our Facebook page @ facebook.com/DisneyFrozen
Follow us on Twitter at @ Twitter.com/DisneyAnimation

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Now it's disappeared from Wal-Mart, but listed at Best Buy with no cover picture and no details.

What's going on with this release? This was a popular movie, and having a limited or no 3D release sets a very dangerous precedent, especially since Disney was pushing 3D pretty hard for a while. With the bad press 3D has gotten this week (like the reduced promotion of it at CES and Vizio TVs dropping 3D altogether) and now this, I'm deeply concerned that the industry may be trying to kill it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It wouldn't be the first time. And here is a current 3D movie I actually want to own in 3D even though I don't have any way of viewing it that way. But that doesn't mean I won't ever get a 3D projector or TV.

I recently saw a YouTube video by Leonard Maltin where he talked about Disney trying to gradually get out of the physical media business. Someone asked him where the rest of Spin and Marty is on DVD, and he told them the unpleasant truth. The days of fully loaded special editions and mea culpa recuts seem to be over already.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This hobby stopped being as fun as it was so many years ago when
many of us first met on this forum (and even before that).

It's apparent that the studios (and I am not picking on any one in
particular) don't have the heart in their catalog anymore. Though,
I will admit, Warner and Disney are probably better than the rest.

As for Disney, I am a bit disappointed they went with this direct
sell route on their 3D product. I hardly get in my car and drive
to any store except if I am buying groceries. I enjoy the luxury
of ordering from Amazon where I have been a PRIME member.
I have no urge to order from Walmart.

I would love to own this title as well. Perhaps I'll have a screener
to review. Otherwise, I will be waiting just like the rest of you.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This is exactly why I stopped chasing exclusives and all that other junk a long time ago. Life is too short and the studios just don't care (or so it seems).

Ya know the worst thing about all this? Disney can't be bothered to say a word about a 3D release. Nothing. The least they can do is provide us with information. The same thing with Paramount and last year's Star Trek Into Darkness. Not a peep and every bit of information that got out was like a top secret CIA mission.

When you tell people (consumers, clients, colleagues, etc.) what's going on, it goes a long way to helping your PR. You say nothing and people will create their own stories...and it builds animosity toward your product.

Somehow, I expected more from Disney.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Ron, you may want to consider ordering the UK Region-free pressing of this title from Amazon's UK site, which I did...you'll be getting the same 3D transfer from a Disney-authorized source and the US-converted price for the 2-disc blu-ray is $30...

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Apparently the 3D version has now been removed from Best Buy's website as well. Disney's Home Entertainment customer service indicated the 3D version has been delayed until Fall 2014 although they could not provide me anymore details beyond that.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This whole Frozen thing is now comical. This is the fourth highest grossing animated film ever for Disney, continuing to play in theaters well after it was released at Thanksgiving. There's a quasi-release date (depending on what you read). And my comments from over a week ago still stand.

Communication, Disney, is going to solve all your problems. Are they waiting to release Thor 2 in February in order to start the PR push? Or will this be one of those mysteries we'll never get the true story on?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks