What's new

front speaker choices (1 Viewer)

juscrusing

Auditioning
Real Name
james caltrider
First of all Hi! This is my first post here and I appreciate any helpful input I can get.

I am trying to upgrade my front speakers in a 7.1 channel system. I currenty have a yamaha RXV-765 reciever and onkyo SKS HT540 surround speakers with 2 matching subs. I have found a few nice prices on some larger front speakers and hope someone could recomend what would be the best with the above set up (I will probably move the current front speakers to the rear surround).

My choices are: Polk Audio series 7c (used but in mint condition)

DCM KX 10 Speakers (used but again in mind condition)

or Pure Acoustics DREAMTOWERFC (brand new in the box)

any suggestions would be much apprieciated before I blow money unwisely

thank you

juscrusing

Auditioning
Real Name
james caltrider
let me mention also that the speakers are $200 a pair for the polk and acoustics, and $75 for the pair of DCM's if this helps in the decision

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome James

If you read this forum you will find that your decision should be based on which one of the three sound best to your ears. However, you are missing a very important point. Your front stage Left, Right, and Center speakers should all be timbre matched. That means that the center speaker should either be the same as the L & R or made by the same company with the same or compatible drivers as found in your L & R. While it is adventitious to timbre match all of your speaker it is not as critical for your surrounds or rear speakers, but very important for your front stage as those three channels must work together to provide the bulk of the speech and sounds that you will hear.

Therefore, you should be in the market for three rather than two speakers.

juscrusing

Auditioning
Real Name
james caltrider
thats an interesting comment to ponder....that being said the only choice of the 3 that I can get a matched center speaker for would be the Pure Acoustics...a little scary considering I cant find any reviews yet on the net for them....the other two choices come highly praised as being older well performed 2 channel work horses but a little more trial and error to find a matching center. All three seem to be incredible bargins and being on a budget either I stick with what I already have or take a chance.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm pretty sure DCM made a center for those KX 10's but good luck finding one. Don't know if Polk made a center for the 7C's but they're a vintage speaker so maybe not. My experience has also found that some early center channel speakers didn't quite match the sound quality of the towers/bookshelves they were supposed to be teamed up with.

I would also suggest you wait untill you find something that can evolve into a 3 piece front soundstage. Don't worry about passing on those three. Good deals pop up all the time.

Nothing wrong with vintage speakers, though. I'm listening to a pair of Infinity Reference Five's right now. Very sweet sounding . I just don't have anyplace to permanently put them.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
James,

Aren't you glad that you joined this forum. I know my answer is not what you wanted to hear, but its better to be safe than sorry. If you read the threads you will see many cases were members are having difficulty matching or finding a center speaker to match up with their L&R.

Many of us have high quality vintage stereo speakers and old equipment from the 1970's that we cannot incorporate into a 5.1 or 7.1 system. I have mine set up in a separate listening room and its a joy to be able to listen to old vinyl from time to time. Those who don't have the room sell them and that is the reason you can pick up some good stereo speakers today.

If you have the room their isn't any reason that you cannot use most vintage stereo speakers and make them into a surround system but you need to find the correct number of the same model speakers to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks