What's new

Front Projection screen size at 13ft? (1 Viewer)

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
At 13ft, what would be the image size from a front projector?

I have a 36" and it's kind of small from 13' away when watching DVDs.

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
What really determines screen size the throw distance. Some projectors have a short throw (larger screen in shorter distance from projector to screen) or a long throw (larger screen in farther distance from projector to screen). Each projector is different. Check out the calculator on www.projecorcentral.com. It will give you a size for 4:3 and 16:9 sized screens. It has the throw distance for just about any projector you can think of!

Brae

Supporting Actor
Actually, I 'think' he is referring to the viewer being 13-feet from the screen and not the projector. You will find a typical 'rule of thumb' being that a screen width times 1.5 is your seating distance. Thus, 13' divided by 1.5 yields 104" screen width.
For a 16:9 screen with a 104" screen width the diagonal measurement would be about 119.3 inches. Of course, depending on the projector, lens, etc. the actual distance the projector is from the screen is an entirely different matter.
Additionally, you will want to consider the amount of light hitting the screen. If you go with a screen that is 13'/1.5 in width be prepared for major light-output requirements. Of course, all of this is based on what I 'think' you were posting about. :)

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
I'm 12' 8" away from my screen so I guess that is close enough to 13' to give an answer. My screen is the standard 92x52 105" diagonal and it is fine even when viewed from the second row of seats. I've sat at a friends house who had a 120" diag screen and that was too big at 13'. I kept having to move my focus all of the time and it was very tiring.

Brae

Supporting Actor
RayJK, that's interesting that you found the 120" screen too big at 13'. In my quest for immersion, I find that 13' from a 120" screen to be the ,limit of far far away I wish to be from the screen.

I do understand that when THX conducted research and forward their model they took into account neck strain from a viewer in the primary viewing position having to move their head left & right in order to sweep the screen. They also measured the strain of eye fatigue under the same sweeping activities.

I find myself less suseptable to this kind of fatigue than, say, iris fatigue when a presentation has a lot of continuous bright/dark/bright scenes. Of course, those with very bright projection systems, RPTV with bias lighting, etc. can help reduce this type of fatigue, those CRTers and those digital projection users with calibrated units for maximum contrast are without this option.

I will also say that in my quest for immersion the aspect of a torus screen of sufficient magnitude is amazing. I good friend of mine has a DIY 120" 16:9 torus screen that is hard to describe, but I want one! Watching from an extreme off-axis was actually attainable and because of the shape of the screen (torus) no hot-spotting occured even though the gain was 3.1 (VuTec).

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
I definitely agree that you should aim for a screen that should encompass, but not exceed, your field of vision.
It's that immersion effect that we are going for with front projection and what makes it truly a "home theater" and not just a big TV...

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
It's that immersion effect that we are going for with front projection and what makes it truly a "home theater" and not just a big TV...
Careful, Robert! People with larger RPTV's who are viewing from the proper distance can get just as immersed in the picture. That statement has started several nasty debates here on the HTF!!
And if the sound doesn't stay-up with the picture, a projector is nothing more than a big TV!!;)

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Let the nasty debates begin!!!
Hehe, kidding, kidding. No one string me up. ;)
Like Brae, I've found a larger screen to be comfortable. At 13' the minimum THX recommended size (based on their optimal viewing angle of 36 degrees) is a 112.8" wide 16:9 screen. With a well set up torus, I'm guessing you can get away with more.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
And if the sound doesn't stay-up with the picture, a projector is nothing more than a big TV!!
No argument here about the importance of sound!

We all have our own ideas about what constitues Home Theater, I just happen to think that front projection is the closest to a movie theater...

Peace, and Happy Holidays!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have always heard to use the 3 times the height or 2 times the width of the screen as the "rule of thumb" for screen size. (This is with a 4::3 screen). So if you have a 120 inch diagonal screen this would be a 6' x 8' frame and you would want to be back between 16 to 18 feet from the screen.

I had a 120 inch screen with my front projector and I set back about 18 foot and the picture was great. The whole time though I wanted to have a 9' x 12' screen because I like for the screen size to be more enveloping of my peripheral vision.

I personally have found that a front projected image that requires a little more use of my peripheral vision (as seen with a larger screen size) that my viewing experience is that much more enjoyable.

YMMV.

Parker

Brae

Supporting Actor
Parker, I know what you mean about being enveloped somewhat beyond my peripheral vision. I think this is why I might still be seriously considering that torus screen and sitting no more than 13' from it with a 120" diagonal.
But, the original poster has not come back and offered any additional information so its hard to continue offering suggestions. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks