What's new

front L/R (1 Viewer)

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
I currently have a set of B&W 686 for front L/R. I want to move them to the back and replace them with 6.5" bookshelf speakers for the front stage.

I make about $2-2500/mo so I want to stay within my means but I dont want to be disappointed or wonder If Im missing something in the future. my decision is between B&W 685 and CM5 for front stage and depending on that it will dictate my center channel?
Im a firm believer that a poor man pays twice so I dont want to be the poor man nor do I want to eat roman and frozen burritos for the next 3 months.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Being that I am a poor college student, one of the best things are started doing was home theater savings account (or stash). Before that I only made large home theater purchases with part of my tax return. The savings allows you to save up more and get what you really want so you don't feel the need to upgrade shortly after your purchase. It also helps prevent you from over spending on it because all you have is what ever you put into your home theater savings. That would help prevent the days of roman, which I am right there with you, that sucks. The only down side is you'll have to wait a bit in order to save up the money.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
thank you, I could start another savings account sometime next week and transfer funds as needed.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What's driving the upgrade - space? What are you hoping to improve? Yes, the L&R would determine the center you choose. With a good sub, I don't think the step up from the 686 to the 685 is that big of a jump. Scoring those 683s would be though :)

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
considering my living room is only 8'x10' I dont have the floor space for towers otherwise I would. I probably listen to music as much as watch movies and depend on my subwoofer for less than 100hz. the 686 seem strained at high volume and doesnt blend as well. my over all goal is 6.5" bookshelf speakers for front stage and an integrated stereo amp one day.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
stange setup, right channel is on a coffee table Im using for a TV stand about 8" from the wall and left channel is on a box full sand on top of my subwoofer same height and distance from wall. both speakers are toed in 15-20 degrees.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What are you powering them with? Strained sound could be more an indicator of too little power not a problem with the speakers, which would seem odd considerign a 100Hz x-over - those speakers should be OK with an 80Hz as they are -3dB at ~62hz. Going with a bigger speaker won't fix that, it could make it worse.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
I have a Denon AVR-3805 rated 120w/ch, Im only using 5.1 and the other 2 surround speakers are turned off. I intend to get the Marantz 6004/6005 one day for stereo playback and bi-wire the speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
schan1269 said:
Bi-wire with an AVR is pointless, unless an Onkyo. Onkyo has tailorable crossover. Nobody else does.
It is still the same power supply, so you still don't have the same benefits as a fully active x-over and separate amplification (which is biamping, not biwiring).

Biwiring is pointless, period.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
John Garcia said:
It is still the same power supply, so you still don't have the same benefits as a fully active x-over and separate amplification.Bi-wire is pointless, period.
Onkyo does do fully active crossover.Granted...still sucking the same teet though...

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
alright, I wont bi-wire and just use an integrated amp. Im either looking at 3 B&W 685 speakers since I have space under the TV, or CM5|CMCC|CM5 depending on my budget.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
If I get an integrated amp for the front speakers I want to either get a Marantz pm6004 or a Jolida 2ch tube amp. has anyone had experience with either one with B&W bookshelf speakers?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've heard other British speakers on a Jolida and thought it was a good combo. Marantz is also rarely a bad decision. I still use my PM7200 class A/AB right now and I still love it.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
I have my heart set on the Rogue Audio Cronus tube amp but I have a hard time spending $2000 on an amp. I suppose to some that doesnt even buy the audio cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks