What's new

Front L/R speakers suggestion (1 Viewer)

jayjose01

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Jose
Hi all, I was finally able to put together my home theater set. Currently in 5.1 set-up using polk audio TL150 set. I'm planning to upgrade it to 7.1 soon and been wondering about the front L/R speaker (planning to move the current front L/R sat speaker to the back). I don't like to have a floor standing speaker so I'm planning to mount the front L/R on the sides of the tv on the wall. Been wondering if it's ok to get 2 more of the center speaker (TL1) and use them as the front L/R? or just stick with the sat speaker? Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm not sure how using center speakers as fronts would work. I remember an article once that used two Athena centers in a stereo setup and the results were less than satisfying. Swap the center for one of the fronts and turn on a stereo source (2 channel music?) and compare it to the other satellite on the other side. It would be a crude experiment but better than notheing. Unless there's something you don't like about the TL150 satellites the safe bet might be to just get two more. Buying two centers would be a costly mistake if it didn't work out as well as you thought. Of course, you could always return them.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The design of center speakers is a compromise. They are designed to allow for easier placement above or below the TV while maintaining the best sound they can. Ideally, you should not use a center speaker anywhere if you can help it. So my opinion about using 2 more as L/R is don't do it. Also, if you plan to put the speakers on the wall, make sure you get speakers that are designed to be on the wall. Putting any other speaker on the wall is not recommended. The wall becomes part of the sound and unless the manufacturer takes this into consideration, your results may be less than optimal.

jayjose01

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Jose
Thanks gene and David for the info. I'm not really an audiophile but I'll try to do what gene suggested and test the center speaker first. If I don't notice any good improvements from sat speakers, I'll just get another pair of sat speaker, which is much cheaper than the center. On the other thought, do any of you guys have any suggestions/recommendations for a good front L/R speakers that are wall mounted? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks