What's new

Front 3 recommendations needed ($500 budget) (1 Viewer)

Joe*C

Grip
I'm looking to buy a new pair of fronts and a center channel to replace the one's that came with my Kenwood 503 HTIB. Thing is, I need the two fronts to be kinda small, as I have limited space on the left and right side of my RPTV. I was going to buy DefTech ProMonitor 80's and a ProCenter 100. The ProMonitor 80 size would be perfect (4 5/8 W x 5 1/8 D x 7 3/4 H). Problem is, I've heard lukewarm things about them here on HTF. Can anyone recommend similarly sized speakers that would be better, and including a center channel, cost around $500? The primary size restriction is the width. Would like to keep it within 6". Thanks!

Ray Tsui

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have a look at Paradigm, see if you can swing for Paradigm Atoms for all five speakers (but they are 6.5 inch wide which might be too big? Awesome speakers for the price.

I'd agree that I have mixed feelings about the DefTech's too. I wasn't horribly impressed with them myself.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Here's my input:

- Head to Circuit City and get a pair of floorstanding Polk RTi8s for $249 (each). This will consume $500. However, when you've saved another $200 in a few months, spring for the center channel speaker. Keep in mind, the list price on these speakers from Polk is approx. $400 (each) - but, CC is clearing them out as they're going to the sell the Monitor series from Polk instead of the RTi series.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

I REALLY like the way the E30's sound for a small speaker, but not sure of their size.
I was considering buying 4 E30's & an EC35 for now & then replacing one set of the E30's with some E100's & moving the other set of the E30s to the middle for 7.1

EDIT: 8 7/8" wide

Joe*C

Grip
Wayne,
You've got me intrigued about the floorstanding Polk speakers, though I think they might be a bit too wide. I went to CC online, and they're selling for $699. Maybe the $500 clearance you saw was just at your local CC?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Joe, that's right. You need to visit the local stores where they are clearing them out. Eventually, they'll disappear from the Web site, too.

Actually, the RTi8s are not too wide - essentially, not any wider than your typical bookshelf speaker. The bottom does feature floor spikes, though, which is why the width demensions might seem a little wide when checking out the dimensions. But, the speakers are quite deep. Plus, they are covered with real wood veneer, which is virtually hard to find at this price point.

Even if the RTi8s are a bit too big for you, you might want to check out the RTi6 - which is a bookshelf speaker and features on less 6.5" driver. They also feature real wood veneer. I'm just not sure of the clearance price on the RTi6, though.

With mine, I purchased mine from another local dealer because I wanted the cherry finish. CC could get the cherry speakers for me, but would not budge on the price and the cherry speakers would take about two weeks to reach the store. This was before the clearance sale started, though.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Energy C1 / CC1 if you want bookshelves.

You could also pull Athena ASF1/ASC1 I think for floorstanders.

You could swing Paradigm Monitor Minis or something in bookshelves, or something out of the Performance series for floorstanders...

*TONS* of options. Go shopping. Go listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks