What's new

From the "Thank God for Netflix" department: Movie Ticket Prices Going Up This Weekend (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hope you weren't planning on buying popcorn at the movies this weekend, because you might not have any cash left after you pay for your higher-priced tickets:

blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2010/03/24/movie-ticket-prices-heading-higher/

So they cry when no one goes to the movies, and when people are finally interested again, they jack up prices? And then they blame it on piracy? Hollywood is out of their fucking minds!

Well, looks like it's the second run dollar house for me!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
People will pay anyway. Regarding the article, prices are very market-specific. For example they cite IMAX 3D admission prices in Boston rising from $11.50 to $14.50. Here in Phoenix they're $15 a seat and have been since Avatar started showing last December. Avatar and Alice have sold out at IMAX in spite of it. Yeah it sucks, but as long as most people drink the Kool-Aid ticket costs will continue to creep up.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Tony J Case

So they cry when no one goes to the movies, and when people are finally interested again, they jack up prices? And then they blame it on piracy? Hollywood is out of their fucking minds!

But it isn't "Hollywood" that's doing this. It's theater owners. There's a difference.

AMC Entertainment is headquartered in Atlanta, GA.

Regal Entertainment Group is headquartered in Knoxville, TN.

Cinemark is headquartered in Plano, TX.

In fact, the only theater chain I can think of with an L.A. headquarters is Landmark. And none of these chains is owned by a movie studio.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I think movies are kinda cheap. Not for a "film buff" but for families just looking to get out of the house on the weekend and do something "fun". I think the cinema for a film buff has pretty much died but most people I know go to the movies just to fill up their time. I personally don't go as much due to having a new baby but the prices have kept me away for years. I do find it rather amazing to see people paying $60 to get in and then another $40 for food and drinks. Sometimes a lot more if they're buying the two slices of pizza for $15. Not to mention the small bottle of whiskey for $20.

It's rather amazing how much the movies have to offer. Bars, big-time food, video games and so on. It's more like a mall for teenagers (seems the main ones there on a Friday or Saturday). I saw CRAZY HEART last week at a matinee and it was only $8, which was okay for me. What wasn't okay was the fact that a small drink and popcorn ran $10. Normally I just sneak a drink in but in the hotter months it's hard to do since there's no long coat to sneak them in.

But to the point, I'm not sure this will hurt anything too much. I do laugh when rich studio heads and theater owners talk about how much money they're losing to pirates when they're just as bad.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As of last year, I started going to the theater much more than I ever had before. On average, I probably saw 5 movies theatrically a month last year and the same this year so far. Now, I'm not taking a family of four to the theater and I don't buy concessions so a ticket increase doesn't really effect me that much.

On a related note, since I started going to the theater more often, I've found a renewed or re-energized love for movies all together (which has also driven down my interest in complaining about bad movies) so the buck or whatever it is increase isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by TravisR /forum/thread/299249/from-the-thank...ket-prices-going-up-this-weekend#post_3674514

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I think movies are reasonable if you don't mind going early. The AMC here charges $5 ($8 for 3-D) before noon and I usually try and take advantage of that.

I just checked and the prices are still the same for later today. Probably because Indianapolis isn't considered a major market.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I don't go to many new movies a year anymore like I did 30 years ago , but just recently I went to see THE RUNAWAYS and it was $11.50 per ticket! I went with my sister and my nephew and while they paid their own admission, I bought them each a small popcorn, along with a hot dog and a small bottle of water for myself. The food itself came out to just under $20.00. So I spent over $30.00. Just totally ridiculous, just to go and see a movie.

For years I've defended ticket prices and theaters, but that's getting impossible to do. Luckily I don't go very often anymore so it's not that devastating. Usually the wife and I will go to the first early show on Sunday, and that is cheaper ... but what's considered a "bargain" these days, 9 or 10 bucks??

I've always said that there is no substitute for going to the theater, I don't care how much one likes NETFLIX or how fancy your home viewing system is. But when it gets to the point where you could just buy a DVD or Blu-ray for what its costs you to go to the movies these days...

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Luckily for me I don't go to the movies to eat, I go to watch a movie so food prices don't affect me. I also don't go to the movies as often as I used to but when I make the effort I usually go to a morning show and pay $6 and on occasion I'll sneak in a cup of McDonald's coffee. Its surprising how crowded a theater can get in the mornings!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

In fact, the only theater chain I can think of with an L.A. headquarters is Landmark. And none of these chains is owned by a movie studio.
Isn't Landmark owned by Mark Cuban who also owns Magnolia? =) Sure it's not a 'major' but still an upcoming studio!

I'll probably take my niece and nephews to see Dragons in 3d this weekend and not see another movie in a theater this year.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Quote:

Isn't Landmark owned by Mark Cuban who also owns Magnolia? =) Sure it's not a 'major' but still an upcoming studio!

By what definition is Magnolia a "studio"? It doesn't make movies. It's a distributor, nothing more.

(And, BTW, it too isn't in L.A. Offices are in New York and Austin.)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Went to a 3D matinee of "Alice in Wonderland" yesterday. With ticket, popcorn and drink, the total was $19.

That $1 Redbox rental on my home theater with my own popcorn and drink (probably under $1 for both) is looking better and better.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I agree that movies are cheap entertainment but not for movie buffs who go to see them almost every week (as Michael stated earlier). In NYC the movie theaters are very expensive - $12.50. I see about 70 or 80 movies in the theater each year. It's a relatively cheap activity but it stacks up when you calculate how much I spend for the year. But I have my ways to save...
I hate paying full price so what I usually do is go on Saturdays or Sundays before noon at AMC Theaters. Tickets are only $6, and all major releases play at one of the handful of AMC theaters in Manhattan. The A.M. is also my favorite time to see a movie because it's quiet and when the movie is over, you still have the day to do something else. I also have bought a lot of those AMC Gold tickets, which are good for any movie (you have to pay extra for 3D and Imax though) and I pay $7.50 for each ticket at regular times. But if the movie isn't playing at an AMC theater, then I reluctantly cough up the full price.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by streeter

I hate paying full price so what I usually do is go on Saturdays or Sundays before noon at AMC Theaters. Tickets are only $6, and all major releases play at one of the handful of AMC theaters in Manhattan. The A.M. is also my favorite time to see a movie because it's quiet and when the movie is over, you still have the day to do something else.

FWIW, that $6 pre-noon price now applies on weekdays too. And neither the $6 bargain ticket nor the $12.50 base price has changed, just the 3D and IMAX pricing.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Luisito34

Luckily for me I don't go to the movies to eat, I go to watch a movie so food prices don't affect me.
Same here! I never eat anything at theaters. The only reason I mentioned I ate a hot dog this time was because I went right from work to a 6:00 show and knew I wasn't going to be eating any dinner!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For me, going to a theater to see a movie and not having popcorn is almost a crime. It's a part of what makes the experience enjoyable. The completely outlandish concession prices that most theaters charge certainly do affect my movie going habits, and in part dictate how often I spring to see theatrical releases.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I never buy food at the theater. Just this morning, I walked into the theater with a Burger King bag (containing a croissanwich and hash browns) hidden in my sweat shirt. The way I look at it is that if a theater employee is brave enough to ask me why I smell like greasy potatoes and sound like a crinkling bag, they deserve to catch me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm still trying to figure out how Luis sneaks in a cup of McDonald's coffee. I'd think there would be serious burn possibilities if that went bad.

And I agree that theater popcorn is part of the movie-going experience. When I can no longer afford popcorn, I'll probably stop going altogether.

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
Quote:
And I agree that theater popcorn is part of the movie-going experience.

Agreed!

The price of the 3D movies already kept me from them ( I am currently unemployed and have to pick and choose my movies wisely). The wife and I hit matinees all the time and the Marcus theater up the street from us has $2.00 Tuesdays (small popcorn, small soda and some other concession items are 2 bucks). So when we go on Tuesdays it does not break the bank. Also just like few of you have mentioned we began to enjoy the theaters again (people seemed a little more polite and less chatty). But if they continue to raise the prices, like the Post Office, I will quit going to movies and just rent.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I recently went to see Alice In Wonderland and heard the following conversation as I was entering the theater:

12 year old girl: (excitedly) "I sure hope this is good!"
Mom of three kids: "I just spent $60...it BETTER be good!"

I gave up on concessions when I spent $19 to see Up: $9.50 for the ticket, $9.50 for soda/popcorn. If it was real butter being used, I MIGHT consider it, but it's yellow liquid of some sort....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks