From scratch $10K stereo system?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Meeks, Sep 12, 2006.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

That's the funny thing about them; they are so simple looking with no fancy shapes and yet they sound absolutely amazing. Really high quality veneers though.

John, if you've listened to the S4s, then do yourself a favor and listen to the JAs (they don't have a comparable bookshelf to the S4 though). I auditioned the RM7Si Signatures with the S2 and the RM7 was definitely better and cost a little less.

For sub, I might look at the HSU VTF-3 MkII. For a music only system though, I generally prefer no sub.

I'd also DEFINITELY be looking at the Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver, particularly if you plan to use a sub.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

For 10K USD with a PC source I'd seriously look at starting with a Benchmark DAC1 as your first purchase. Add to that a Roku Soundbridge to act as the interface and now all you're left with is the amp and speakers with the remaining $9K USD.

If it were me (and its clearly not) I'd buy a pair of NuForce Ref 9's and a set of Usher Dancer's as they're stunning in all regards and real value. With that system you wouldn't need a sub for music and you'd have a very simple interface to all the music on your PC.

Benchmark Dac 1 http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/
    Roku Soundbridge http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php
    NuForce Ref 9 http://www.nuforce.com/products-monoamps.htm
    Usher Audio http://www.usheraudio.com/speaker-CP-8571%20II.html

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Here is the link I mentioned to the Snell Type B. A rare speaker, that had some very advanced engineering.

http://www.arduman.com/aa/Sayfalar/jacques/jacques.htm

If you click and look carefully at the 3rd picture on the left you will see that the cabinet is unlike any other. The cabinet comes to a point on each side. The rear of the cabinet is symmetrical with the front. The front panel is relatively narrow. The rear mounted sub-woofer faces off at ~45 degree angle. I believe the rear mounted tweeter is on the flat section of the rear and can be switched off. And clicking and looking at the first picture, you will see the felt surrounding the entire MTM module.

This speaker had one of flattest FR ever measured in-room with full bass to 25Hz when tested by reviewer D.B. Keele, who later went on to design speakers for Harman International.
    They were $4,000 and weigh 125 pounds. Almost impossible to find.

You just have to go out and spend a lot of time listening to different speakers.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

JG

The Joseph Pearl looks very much like the Wilson Watt Puppy, which, by the way, is the largest selling speaker over $10,000.

5. John Garcia

John
    I don't think the Pearl is quite in the price range of the Puppy though [​IMG] The place I heard the JAs at also carried Wilson. I didn't bother listening to the Puppys [​IMG]

6. John Meeks

John Meeks Agent

I'm tempted to get a pair of those Nuforce Reference 9's and the DAC 1 and put them in the little carpeted enclosure (1/2 wide rackmount) on the nuforce page.

I don't know if this is possible though, the amps don't look rack-mountable... Heat might be a problem too. My computer has a digital-out so I could run that right in to the DAC.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

John the Ref 9's don't generate much heat at all so they are ideal for mounitng in tight spots. At CES last year we had several of them all stacked on top of each other on the showroom floor and it wasn't ever a problem. The Ref 9 was also the amp of the year in 2005 and has tons of glowing press reviews.

8. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I don't think SPIDF can do losseless, Firewire and HDMI are the only two digital interfaces that can do losseless. In your case you would use the analog audio outputs supplied on the outboard sound decoder.

I second the Outlaw receiver. It currently the only stereo receiver that has Bass management. And it packs a punch, the trouble is getting one. They already have more orders for it than they are capable of shipping, so if you want one you should order now, because there is no telling how long it will take to get it.

Signiture series is good as well, and the Servo 15 may be cheaper than the Signature 15, and from my understanding they are the same animal, but someone correct me if I am wrong.

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I know several audiophiles that stream uncompressed wav files from their PC's to the DAC1. Anyway in the scenario I outlined above the audio would stream from the PC to the soundbridge first...and then from the soundbridge to the DAC1 and I know the Soundbridge can work with AAC files directly from iTunes so it souldn't be an issue.

PS John check your PM's

10. John Meeks

John Meeks Agent

I just looked up S/PDIF, and it can do uncompressed PCM.

The SoundBridge looks cool, but the computer would have to be on anyway (except for internet radio), so it seems sorta pointless. Since my computer has optical out I could just use that.

Also the SoundBridge won't play files bought from iTMS. (I don't have any, but I may want to in the future)

I kinda like the idea of that DAC and seperate NuForce amps, the Outlaw seems almost like a mass-market integrated receiver. It does have USB in, but that adds another layer of software.

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The advantage the soundbrige brings is its digital display so you can easily interface with your collection via remote from across the room...as well it gives you remote volume control. You could also then locate the PC anywhere you wanted and just connect it wirelessly. I'm not sure what you mean though that the PC would have to be on...wouldn't that be the case no matter what solution you use with the PC being the source? There are iTunes servers that you can buy as stand alone machines that would allow you not to have the PC running if that's of interest to you.

12. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

My mistake.

Though in the back of my mind I also wasn't sure if JM wanted to deal with the bass management issues of a sub/sat system, since it sounded like he wanted a "pure" 2.0 system: music source > preamp > power amp > loudspeakers.

btw: I didn't know woofers were susceptible to combing effects.

The last hi-end system I listened to was a system consisting of B&W 800D speakers, 400watt RMS Classe monoblocks, a Classe preamp & a Denon DVD-9000 used as a transport at the Home Theater Store here in Houston. Sounded great as one can imagine and build quality for all components was fantastic....but I've heard equally good sound from systems costing 1/5 as much.

I'm sure if I had used one of those audiophile test CDs - the ones with stunning sonics but usually filled with bland Muzak-type music - I may have a different opinion. But once I finally realized two decades ago my music of choice wasn't usually recorded with stellar sonics in mind (i.e. progressive rock, "regular" rock, new wave and now punk [really not audiophile material! [​IMG] ], folk music, ska, and downtempo), I rearranged my audio priorities and for my college dorm room bought the $150 Advents instead of the $275 B&Ws I was looking at, both 2-ways w/6.5" woofers. [​IMG]

13. John Garcia

John
    Personally, I wouldn't be looking to spend $10K and have streamed audio be one of the main sources. I agree with Lance, you don't need to spend $10K to get a very nice sounding system.

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I know audiophiles that have spent a lot more then $10K that are now steaming audio to their rigs....when done right it can sound very very good.

15. John Garcia

John
    I know, there are some $2K units out there with great DACs on board for that sort of thing, and streamed can sound OK, just saying...

16. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

So long as you rip to WAV or lossless and use something like a DAC1 there's no reason to think you shouldn't be getting exceptional sound from your digital source...in fact there's an argument to be made that its better then CD's etc.

17. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

18. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

19. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Are there processors or receivers that can decode lossless? Why don't they impliment this with SPDIF? I know the brandwidth isn't an issue, so what is their f***ing problem?

20. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer