What's new

From 4:3 letterbox/S-Video to 4:3 Wide-Mode/component (1 Viewer)

Mikal Haydn

Agent
I've been viewing WS dvds in letterbox on a 4:3 Panasonic 29" TV with s-video for some time and am considering the 4:3 Sony WEGAs. How much an improvement is it going from that to displaying WS material in Wide-mode via component cables? Would adding a progressive player help?

TimG

Second Unit
The change from a tv that doesn't do "the squeeze" to one that does is a slight difference. Most people can tell the difference even on smaller tv's. A progressive scan player will only help if you get a tv that is Hi-Def capable.

TimG

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The change is far more than slight; it's a major difference. A progressive-scan player will only make a difference if your TV can do progressive scan. Not all 4:3 sets with 16:9 modes are capable of 480p.

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
I have to go with Jack on this one. I recently replaced my Zenith C32V23(no 16:9 enhancement, or 480p) with a SONY WEGA 32HS500 (has both).

The initial difference between the two sets was shocking (and I was running in 480i at the time). The graininess was gone and the colors were beautiful.

Soon after I upgraded my player from a Sony dvp-ns315 to a dvd-ns715p so I could explore Progressive scan. The difference wasn't as shocking, but you might say things looked smoother.

That being said, I will never buy another 4:3 tv that doesn't have 16:9 enhancement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks