What's new

Fringe Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Official story details for the Fringe Season 5 Premiere Episode
It has begun!
Here are the Official story details for the Fringe Season 5 Premiere airing Friday, September 28th.
Details hidden to protect those that are spoiler adverse.
SEASON PREMIERE “FRINGE” (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1
THE FRINGE TEAM EMBARKS ON ITS MOST IMPORTANT MISSION ON AN ALL-NEW “FRINGE” FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, ON FOX
The fifth and final season picks up from the ominous events of last season’s “Letters of Transit” episode, in which the year is 2036 and the overpowering Observers rule.
The Fringe team – preserved in amber for 20 years – is now a rebel resistance team fighting for freedom. Peter, reunited with his now adult daughter, Etta, sets out to find out what happened to his wife and Etta’s mom – Olivia – as they start their mission to save the world from the Observers in the “Transilience Thought Unifier Model-11″ Season Five premiere episode airing Friday, Sept. 28 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-501) (TV-14 V)
Cast: Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop; Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth
Guest Cast: Georgina Haig as Henrietta/Etta
BTW if you are partial to podcasts, I do one for Fringe over at FringeTV - you can find them here - http://tinyurl.com/4fsnrwr
Four of us get together for a coffee break round table style discussion of each episode.
We will be continuing them in Season 5.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So exciting! A perfect Friday night show.
I think these might have been posted in the Season 4 thread, but just in case, Observer Public Service Announcements:

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I like the "End The Oppression" and "Take Back America!" messages hidden within the Observers PSA's. Man I love Fringe.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Promotional pics for episode 1 over at GMMRTV
The first 6 are not too bad but the last one is very spoilery.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
Please don't shoot me. I love "Fringe". I have always liked the role of the Observers. However, I did not particularly enjoy the episode last season where they were running things in the future. I am not sure how much I look forward to the entire final season being based on this. Perhaps I am missing something. Oh, I will watch for sure, because I love the characters and most of the story. (And, maybe I just don't "get it", or, I am severely jet-lagged from so many shows jumping forward in time!)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hey no problem Jeff.
Who knows, maybe the show will finish up back in 'our' time? :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There's a really nice interview with showrunner J.H. Wyman over at TV Line. You really get a feel for how emotionally invested he is in telling this story.
The focus seems to be on resolving the characters' stories, rather than breaking a lot of new ground with mindbending science fiction, and that's exactly what I'm looking for as a viewer. I've invested four years with these characters. I want to see how they end up.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Looks like a cat and mouse final season, and that's OK. I did enjoy the season premiere very much, and I got teary-eyed when Olivia saw her daughter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The reveal of the observers being baddies was jarring, but I'm slowly accepting it knowing September was an anomaly among his people, a scientist who got too involved with his subjects. We didn't know much else about them outside of what he showed us, so I can reasonably say we made some assumptions there.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Fringe reinvents itself every season and continues to grow the characters and deepen their bonds.
That's what I love about this show.
It doesn't stand pat. It pushes the boundaries of what a serialized TV show can do. Which, to me, is what the best SF based material does too.
The bookend shots of the blooming dandelion and the flowering dandelion on scorched earth was a nice touch - and loved the Only You song played at the end.
[VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yod7jc8U94#[/VIDEO]
Eggsticks! Yuck!!!
The reunion scenes between Peter,Olivia, & Etta were great. Also enjoying the switch away from the case of the week. The focus switch this season means that every week what ever happens directly affects the characters as opposed to a COTW which parallels them. Excellent!
And having Eddie the Bookstore Owner fawning over the ambered Olivia was a true extension of their one-sided flirting from the previous season.
Have no problems with the Observers being painted as the bad guys nor do I find the shift jarring. Surprising? Yes. Cliche? Definitely not.
Beyond a bit of necessary expository setup for this season, Season 5 has gotten off to an excellent start.
Can't wait to see where this is going and how the season, and series, will finish.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Lou Sytsma said:
Also enjoying the switch away from the case of the week. The focus switch this season means that every week what ever happens directly affects the characters as opposed to a COTW which parallels them. Excellent!
John Noble told Entertainment Weekly (very minor spoilers):
“I think the fascinating thing about this season as it goes forward is that Walter has set this up by planting a series of clues. It’s like a treasure hunt in a way,” says Noble. “And the genius thing that the writers have done this year — because we didn’t want to do monsters of the week — is that we have to chase a clue [per] week. So that creates the internal story of each week because we go after these bizarre clues in really strange places. Walter being Walter, he’s hidden them in weird, weird, weird places.”
So it sounds like Walter and September prepared for the possibility that Walter's memories would be wiped, and hid the pieces elsewhere throughout New York City. I really like that because it ties in nicely with the show's theme that the past always comes back to haunt us. Only this time, it's in a good way instead of a bad way. Just as Walter in the first couple seasons was forever reassembling the pieces of his life that he'd scattered before being institutionalized, now they're reassembling the pieces of his plan to save the world, with the time in amber taking the place of the time in the mental hospital.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Is it just me, or would it have been helpful for the recap to be another minute or two before jumping into the premiere? I realize there's a lot of out there stuff that happened in the previous few seasons so it'd be hard to recap everything, but going back to this after so long it was a little hard to keep any of the details straight. A decent premiere I guess, but I have to admit it's a little difficult for me to have any attachment to the third or fourth iteration of the same characters. I mean, do I really care if Olivia is gone if it isn't really 'our' Olivia that we've watched for 4 years? I don't know... maybe I'll rewatch the last couple episodes from last season at some point before watching next week's episode and see if that helps me enjoy it any better.
I really hope this big endgame plan that they're building up to isn't just something as obvious as them building a time machine to come back to the present though.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Lou Sytsma said:
Thanks Adam. Great interview.
Happy to do it, after all of the great "Fringe" stuff you've shared!
Joe_H said:
I have to admit it's a little difficult for me to have any attachment to the third or fourth iteration of the same characters. I mean, do I really care if Olivia is gone if it isn't really 'our' Olivia that we've watched for 4 years?
Peter has been "our" Peter from the beginning of the series to now. He's about the only one. Olivia is "our" Olivia, in the sense that she acquired "our" Olivia's memories. I do wish they'd have found a way to make Walter and Astrid "our" Walter and Astrid. There was a lot lost there.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I don't see them going back in time as it wouldn't defeat the Observers.

September had a plan. He has looked at the futures and in every one Olivia had to "die". But... he never verbalized what happens after that. His end game was to save humanity from what he knew was coming. He has gone through a lot of trouble based on what he knows to make that happen. We don't know the course yet, but that's what I expect to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks