What's new

Fringe season 3 thread (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I don't get all the problems from Walter's crossing over, he crossed over 2 times that I can remember, the first time to save Peter and the last time with Olivia and Co. Was Bell crossing over a lot to make for all the holes in their universe? Example of the giant hole in the river.

Why do they need to seal all of the crime scenes from the bank robber? That isn't from crossing over, the guy is from the alternate side.

Also, why wouldn't there be holes from the alternates crossing over to our world? Maybe because the ability to was created on our side?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Just watched the latest last night and I'm confused about the use of Amber. It was my impression that it was used to seal areas where... how would you put it.. inter-dimensional rifts have occurred. So why would a bank robbery trigger an amber spray? The bank robber clearly knew this was going to happen so he set of the alarm. Since amber is left in place the bank vault is now all but impossible to access now, so this seems a poor choice for crime prevention. And it's clear Fringe Division didn't set off the Amber like they did in the music hall.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The portal the bank robber created to bust into the bank is the inter-dimensional rift that prompted the deployment of the amber.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Interesting episode last night, though I have to wonder how "the other side" managed to get all those pieces of the device in our world, seeded over time. BOlivia's question to Peter showed that she is getting some second thoughts about Walternate's plan. His answer should have planted even more second thoughts.

Things are heating up. There obviously is no new episode on Thanksgiving day. Last season there were new episodes the first two Thursdays in December before breaking until the 2nd Thursday in January.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I thought the same thing, plus if it was done prior to the 1894 books publication it would appear their world is far more advanced than ours. From what we've seen it isn't.

Originally Posted by NeilO

Interesting episode last night, though I have to wonder how "the other side" managed to get all those pieces of the device in our world, seeded over time.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
My opinion is that both sides have part of the device. Half here, half there. The 'first ones' who created it knew about the other side and either traveled there or communicated with that side in order to build it.

My problem with last night's episode was the simplicity of the hook - if these numbers stations have existed since the beginning of radio how has someone not figured out something as simplistically obvious as coordinates on the globe? There is literally nothing tricky or complex about that. Hell, they use the same trick in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" for cryin' out loud. Just a really weak move by the writers.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Dunno, but numbers stations are real and were featured in the second episode of Covert Affairs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

I think our world and their world were essentially the same until some divergent point. Both had the First People, and both First People buried device parts.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
If Olivia was in her universe in the souvenir shop how were they able to pull her out of the tank in the alternate universe?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by spshultz

If Olivia was in her universe in the souvenir shop how were they able to pull her out of the tank in the alternate universe?
Just like in the test cases, she wasn't entirely transferred. The previews for this episode had me thinking that she had succeeded. Then after alt-Broyles repaid her efforts in this episode by just going home himself, I thought there was even more of a chance that she would succeed. But Walternate spoiled things.

Now, we need to see what happens in 2 weeks when Peter acts on his phone call. Can he somehow bargain for Olivia's life using BOlivia? I've no idea how this will continue and I'd have loved to have seen the next episode last night.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I thought the Candyman was a pretty crazy villian, maybe the most morbid villian they have had on the show?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Probably tied with that cancer guy from last season. I don't remember his story, but I'm pretty sure Liv referenced him last night when talking about seeing something similar before. Want to clarify something that nobody here really cares about: I said I wasn't thrilled with the direction they're taking right now, and hoped it wouldn't last all season. I think as a rule it's been pretty good, I just miss the chemistry between our Liv, Peter and Walter. Plus, something about long-term deception just makes me edgy. I can't stand those bad seed movies where a kid does heinous things and acts like an angel when the adults are around, and they believe him most of the movie. But, the last two episodes have been good and I am glad Liv knows who she is now. I also like that she is winning over the people on the other side just by being her.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Can I have the next episode now please!!!!!

You mean I have to wait 2 weeks ??!??

Loved how she got caught out by the FBI reference - wasnt even aware of it until the kid brought it up.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Worryingly Fringe is moving to Friday nights

I really hope they give them enough warning - at least another full season would give them chance to wrap it up

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Simon Massey

I really hope they give them enough warning - at least another full season would give them chance to wrap it up

Really? Well, it was good while it lasted.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"The X-Files" debuted and thrived on Friday nights. If people are interested in watching "Fringe," they'll find it there.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

"The X-Files" debuted and thrived on Friday nights. If people are interested in watching "Fringe," they'll find it there.

Eh I guess so, but I probably will not watch it live, since Fridays I might go out or something. So did Friday night just become the death night for shows or has it been that in the past?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

I wouldn't say "The X-Files" thrived on Friday nights. The show didn't make huge strides in the ratings until it moved to Sunday nights in 1996.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Back then, many fans thought the move from Friday to Sunday would kill "The X-Files." Check out this excerpt from a SciFi blog from 1996:

We had to wait only until May for the dumbest TV move of the year, and Fox takes the prize.

In its fall schedule announcement yesterday, Fox said it will oust "The X-Files" from its creep night mooring on Friday and move it to 9 p.m. Sundays.

Just like that, Fox may have wrecked Friday night and seriously wounded one of television's best shows. John Matoian, Fox programming genius, take a bow.

Season One on Fridays drew an average audience of 7 million. On par with a "popular" Friday show today. By the end of Season 3, it was drawing 10 million (considered a big hit today on any night, and about the same as the revived "Hawaii: Five-O" on CBS Mondays). Season 4, its first on Sunday, was just under 11 million. It did grow from there, peaking in Season 5 with 17 million, before dropping back. But the fact remains it was a successful, growing series on Fridays. I wonder if Fox isn't trying to recapture some of that Friday sci-fi audience with this move? My main concern would be that those who gave up on the show in the crush of Thursday night programming are now hopelessly lost in the story/plotlines, and may not be inclined to come back to the show regardless of what night it's scheduled.

I think the perception of Friday/Saturday as a TV graveyard is erroneous and somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy created by the networks. Friday ratings have been just fine when the networks program shows people want to see. CBS has had success in recent years with their lineup of sci-fi and crime dramas, pulling in 7-10 million viewers per show. ABC ran the TGIF comedy lineup for years which drew sizable audiences. This season, the CW moved "Supernatural" to Fridays and its ratings improved; "Smallville" has also been holding its own on Fridays for two seasons now. And Saturdays used to be one of the biggest nights on the schedule for NBC, with "The Golden Girls" and "Empty Nest," among others. Again, the networks no longer want to program anything worth watching on Saturdays, filling it with repeats and low-grade reality shows, so the ratings are dismal. I assume it's a cost-cutting move, so they basically only program 6 nights a week without actually admitting such.

There is a good sized viewing audience that is under-served on Fri/Sat nights, especially given the bad economy where many people cannot afford to "go out" all the time. I also don't think it's true that most people "go out" every Fri/Sat anyway. I know a lot of people who may go out for dinner, but they're often back home by 8-9PM, looking for something to watch.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Massey

The question is whether FOX will be patient enough with it on Friday night or will this be the final season. I do not trust FOX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks