What's new

Fringe - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

Fringe is so much better than Lost in terms of managing its mythology. The show is performing an excellent balancing act of raising new questions and answering them in a satisfying manner that resonates within the Fringe 'universe'.

Agreed. Setting the "end date" still couldn't save Lost from its random, meandering self.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

Agreed. Setting the "end date" still couldn't save Lost from its random, meandering self.
Lost is, and was, a far more ambitious - and emotional - show than Fringe.

The concepts of Fringe are intriguing and with this season having learned the lesson of tying the characters directly to the storyline the show has kicked it up a notch. If it can stay away from too many MOTW episodes and continue to delve into the characters like they did in the second half of this season, Fringe could move from very good show to a great one.

They still need to work on the emotional beats. Noble often nails his moments. The last few episodes could have been more powerful emotionally but it could be argued that the nature of Olivia's and Peter's characters prevent this. Hoping to see both become more open and less reserved as the series progresses.

AnnM

Agent
"I hope they have the show mapped out in general. Like Lost, this show will probably need an end date setting at some point or we could end up treading water with monster-of-the-week episodes."

Hmm. To me this is the closest show to "X-Files" that anyone has produced and, IIRC, that wonderful show lasted nine seasons. Of course, some of the seasons were poorly done without Duchovny being on board, but I was really sorry to see XF end. The first movie was fairly good, but the second was terrible.

Fringe is just catching on. More people need to know about it. I hope the producers, though, don't start switching time slots because that is one thing that will kill a show. Sometimes when a program starts building a fan base, the suits decide to put it up against another network's major draw and when it can't compete, they kill it. I really hate the way that viewers are used as guinea pigs for marketing products and I'm always a bit hesitant to get excited about a show, knowing that the plug could get pulled at any time with no ending or explanation. They did that with a lot of scifi shows: Firefly, Invasion, Threshold, to name a few.

May Fringe go at least 5 seasons with no cast changes. If we get five then it's on to a decade of Walter and his wonderful cow. I'm crazy about Walter!

AnnM

Agent
I watched "Lost" for a couple of seasons and lost interest. Yes. Really. I just couldn't go back. Too much to keep track of. It lost its entertainment value and became work. I don't need work during my off hours. So, if a program requires that I keep up, review, interpret, guess, hope and devour every bit of information that appears on the Internet, I simply don't have time for it. It mimicked politics too much. Allegiances changing. Bartering for power. Heroes disappointing their addicted masses.

For such heavy doses of emotional angst, I simply read the daily news.

Many, on the other hand, watched it religiously just for these reasons.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
[SIZE= 10px]Moderator note: All [COLOR= #ff0000]Season 3[/COLOR] discussion belongs here.[/SIZE]

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Awesome first part of the season finale tonight. This show is actually delivering on the promise that hinted at last season with the ZFT.

There were so many cool differences between the two worlds. Here are a few I caught:

- West Wing Season 11 (or was it 12?). Anyone catch the cast?

- MLK Jr. on the American Twenty.

- California seems have been mostly-flooded.

- Nixon Silver Dollar makes another appearance. A bell and the moon on the other side.

- Cabbage Patch Kids are still popular.

- Texas was split into two states.

- If the dots on the map indicated pattern events, then they have spread far more widely in the alternate universe, reaching across the country.

- In the awesome red titles, one of the fringe topics was something like "first people," perhaps referencing the extinction of American Indians?

Late to the party as usual, Fringe S2 just ended its run on broadcast TV here.

I didn't think Texas was literally split into two, but just that Oklahoma was larger "over there" than over here. And Dakota was a single state, no North/South split over there. I did get the impression California was "skinnier", but thought that perhaps Arizona and Nevada were just a bit wider, rather than alt-USA having actually suffered from the effects of Lex Luthor's S1 plot. Didn't catch any other major differences, though.

West Wing S11 was a hoot. Cabbage Patch Kids on the other hand was just bizarre...

It would appear medicine "over there" is far more advanced, e.g. B-Olivia recited some really nasty injuries suffered by her team leader (90% 3rd degree burns IIRC), which would be fatal here, but he would fully recovered. And of course Walter's gunshot wound was healed overnight. But what tech "over there" is inferior to ours? Aviation, perhaps, since they're still using airships? But apart from that, it seems most of their tech is better.

Now I have to resist the temption to watch S3 via not-so-kosher means...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
http://www.fringetelevision.com/2010/05/united-states-of-fringe-map-from-over.html

Has a full, high-res version of the map. Here are the highlights (simply copy/pasted from the wiki):

• Washington is called Southern British Colombia
  • California is missing half of the state
  • Nevada is called Independent Nevada
  • Texas is divided into North and South Texas
  • North and South Dakota are combined into one Dakota
  • Kansas and Oklahoma are combined into one Midland
  • Louisiana is called Louisiana Territory
  • Michigan is missing its upper half
  • North and South Carolina are combined into one Carolina
  • Virginia and West Virginia are combined into one District of Virginia

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks