What's new

Frighteners - shabby new cover (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
You know, it does have a "Forgotten Direct to Video Movie unearthed because the main star has made a hit film" artwork vibe, doesn't it? Which is bizarre because Dante's Peak made a moderate amount of money.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Eww. That looks horrible. Quite possibly the worst DVD cover art I have ever seen.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
so what's the philosophy behind this new dantes peak cover art ? they've gone from a two (very recognisable) nubbin shot to a one nubbin shot where you'd have to look twice to identify PB.

if vivendi have got any hopes of making some serious cash out of universal, i think they need to have a good hard look at the people they've got working for them.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well.. the Dante's Peak cover is awful. But that Frightener's cover is... well... frightening.

I don't have Frightener's yet.. so I MIGHT pick one up. (Although I'd prefer an SE) but IF I do... I'll be warmin up the printer for yet another custom cover print out...

GAH

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Yikes... that is butt-ugly.

I guess they have to sell it somehow, which explains why MJF is so prominent on the cover and the LOTR sticker... but they still could've done a much better job.

Thankfully I won't have this ugly cover in my collection, as (to put it mildly) it thought the movie was pretty bad.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Whaddaya mean, bad?!? It's got Chi McBride!!! In a 70's style afro!!! We're talking a comic gold mine here!!!
In case anyone wasn't sure, I'm being facetious, as I thought the original Frighteners poster to be one of the coolest ever.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
This is what I was talking about (on another thread) when I said I liked it when MGM redesigned covers, but had reservations about it when other studios did it.

Universal just does not know how to create new cover designs.

I think The Frighteners was really in need for a new cover too, since the original one sheet design is extremly misleading. This is not a horror movie, its a horror/comedy like Ghostbusters. But by looking at the original poster/DVD cover, you'd think it was a horror movie.

The silly looking ghosts though really ruin this for me. They should have had a picture of the chick and the Ringwraith instead.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't mind headshots, and I can understand changing the cover, as cool as the original is, but man, what a butt ugly cover.

I do agree that now would have been a great time for a SE for the film. Too bad Universal dropped the ball here.

Jason

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
That 'Frighteners' artwork seriously gives the 'Real Genius' dvd cover a run for its money........

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
"Next slide please, D-Day..."
- ARGH! :angry:
Ai-yi-yi! Eek! :frowning: :emoji_thumbsup:
Universal revisit their previously-Image titles (Andromeda Strain, Fahrenheit 451 etc) and do a damn fine job, but yet they fail to 'cash-in' on Peter "LORD OF THE RING$" Jack$on?! The mind boggles.
Maybe the problem is with getting the extras from the Laserdisc. And Jackson isn't willing/is too busy to participate/create new extras, ie. record new commentary etc.
But a 2-disc SE of THE FRIGHTENERS would be a big selller if marketed properly. And Universal could do with the revenue...
Geez, I sound like a Capiltalist! :laugh:
Gordy

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Oh. My. Lordy.

That new Dante's Peak cover is just shocking; I'm really glad I've still got my original SE as I love the film.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Both of those new covers are fugly as hell. This 'big head' disease really is starting to take hold, isn't it? I've been meaning to pick up Dante's Peak R1 for a while now, but that new cover is a disgrace. I'm not sure my collection could take it, what with the appalling Predator 2 cover already stinking up my shelf space.

Still, at least bad covers are only just starting to affect R1 land in a widespread way. Over here in the UK, we've had a dvd company called Entertainment in Video consistently produce some of the worst cover designs known to human kind. Imagine covers as bad as those in this thread, only with loads of press quotes plastered all over them, which is the ultimate combination of crapness. I think there was a thread on here about their terrible cover for the Crow, actually. Now that cover is truly terrifying.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I'm suddenly glad I have the original releases of both The Frighteners and Dante's Peak.

The new covers are really awful!

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Daylight DTS DVD has changed it's cover too! :thumbsdown:
So much for original theatrical poster art :rolleyes

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Its an okay movie. A blockbuster film. You know the type. I have the DTS version. I would recommend you get the DD version, it has a bunch of extras on there. I like the DTS track more than the DD track but the DTS track has boomy bass. The DD track sounded tighter. This is the only movie with that problem that I have heard. Im sure there are a couple others.
:) :emoji_thumbsup:
EDIT: WOOPS! I think you were talking about the Frighteners. I was thinking of Dantes Peak. In that case; the movie was great and the DD track was awesome! There is a DTS laserdisc too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks