What's new

Fright Night - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if I ever saw the original, but this remake was visually dark and bland, though there are flashes of fun with the vampire genre, the film just felt slow and stuck in quicksand at times, and the plot jumps never felt organic or naturally developed. I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I saw the original and really liked it - haven't seen it in years. Though the remake was okay, though it's more horror and less comedy than the original. The 1986 flick was a nice mix of comedy and horror - at least that's what I thought decades ago - while this one's more one-sided.

As a horror flick, it does work better. We get a few good set pieces and scares, plus some actual surprises. Still, it doesn't do a lot to separate itself from the crowded vampire genre. Back in 1986, vampire movies weren't a dime a dozen, so a 2011 vampire flick needs to do something more unusual.

Which "Fright Night" doesn't really do. It's fairly good for what it is, but unlike "Zombieland", for example, it doesn't do a lot to put its own stamp on the genre.

I think it's a reasonably enjoyable little movie but it's nothing that jumps off the screen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks