What's new

Fries & Toast (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Oh boy, this thread is going to be locked so quickly we'll all get windburn.

Did anyone actually think that an openly POLITICAL discussion would be tolerated here? Good/Bad/Right/Wrong, we all know that this forum isn't a hotbed for political opinion.

IBTL.

Moe.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Where will it end? Should be ban all CINEMASCOPE films because the anamorphic lens was invented by a Frenchman? Why don't we ban all films that utilize the technique of MONTAGE. I've got Rope and Timecode at home. Does anyone know of any other films without traditional cuts?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It is a silly gesture to express annoyance at an ally who, in their view, is not acting like much of an ally at the moment. I don't see why the elected representatives of the people should have less right to express themselves on this matter than their constituents do.

This action by the Congress is no more childish than some of the pronouncements of the French foreign minister. Anyway, look on the bright side: At the last minute the Congressional menu writers decided not to introduce "French Fried Steak" as a substitute for "Chicken Fried Steak". ;)

Maybe a few people on both sides of the Atlantic (including some in this forum) should lighten up and buy a sense of humor even if they can't afford a clue.

Regards,

Joe

Can we still call the clap "the French disease"?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't know about you guys but I'm going out to get a loaf of freedom bread.

JayV

Supporting Actor
I hope these guys didn't spend more than 20 minutes on this; arguably they have better things to do.

Having said that, 1) I hope that none of the people complaining have also complained that lawyers/politicians need to have a sense of humor (I heard a politician on NPR who said he was the one who had the names changed -- he seemed to think of it as ribbing) and 2) I hope people complaining about this also complained about French efforts to erase any trace of perceived American culture.

I re-read all this to see if it passes muster with respect to the no political discussion thing. If anyone thinks this post fails the test, PM me and I'll delete it. Unless you're a mod, admin or owner. Then you have superpowers and can just delete it.

-j

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Wow I never saw so many IBTLs before!

There is a strip club chain here in Calgary. "Freedom Maid" has a nice ring to it. Too bad it is illegal to have lapdances in Alberta. That's one good thing about British Columbia though. :)

IBTL

:wink:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I just wonder what they hoped to accomplish with this. They seem to be equating "French" with "freedom", though, so maybe the French should feel honored instead. :)

(copied from the thread I started) :))

/Mike

SteveA

Supporting Actor
How about calling the food "Vichy Fries" or "Hitler Toast" to remind them where they would be without the U.S. military?

CharlesD

Screenwriter
How about calling the food "Vichy Fries" or "Hitler Toast" to remind them where they would be without the U.S. military?
:rolleyes:

Yeah its not like we are for democray and self-determination or anything. Those damn Frenchies should just do as they're told, right?

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I was told this a couple years ago by a German. He may have just been messing with me, so I'd like to clear it up my naive American mind now.. Isn't a "french kiss" in France called an "English kiss?" And isn't a "french" in German something a little bit more, umm... different? And in relation to the thread.. WGFF?

David King

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't a "french kiss" in France called an "English kiss?" And isn't a "french" in German something a little bit more, umm... different?
I'm not sure about that one, but what we know as the "french disease" mentioned on the previous page is known as the "Italian disease" in France if I recall. Those countries used to name their diseases after the counties that were their biggest enemy at the time. France and Italy named it after each other, and Spain and Portugal named it after each other. Personally, I think "The Portuguese Disease" has the best ring to it, but I have a feeling that the French name will allowed to remain since it is a negative thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks