What's new

Friday Night Lights Season Three Gets NBC Edits & Music Changes (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if there is some clause in the contract that makes the extended episodes a Direct TV exclusive and thus precludes Universal from releasing them on DVD. I'm not trying to say that doing it is OK (if that's the reason, they should have had the foresight to clear the longer versions for DVD) but it could be an explanation as to why this happened.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
When TV on DVD started, I always heard "old shows have to have music replacement because home video release wasn't even thought of back then, but now they can clear songs for both uses." Obviously it's not as simple as that, as there seems to be a lot of new releases missing music.

I believe the extended scenes were/are available on nbc.com. I've thought about the possibility of a clause in the contract, though. It may allow for web distribution but not DVD.

The only song I can remember from this season was Skid Rows' "I Remember You." I would hope that would be on there, but who knows.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
This really ticks me off. I have pre-ordered the third season just because I wanted to see all the scenes that were edited out when they were shown on NBC. Guess I will go and cancel my order now.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I agree, and I have really loved this season. Looks like I have to write another letter to Universal.

In case anyone else wants to follow suit, here's the address:

Universal Studios Home Entertainment
100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA 91608

If the series makes it out on Blu-ray with the original broadcast music (and the DirecTV versions included for the third season), I'll get them then.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, for those of you who already have Season 1 and Season 2 there is no other way to get Season 3 on DVD. :lol:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The only way the series was renewed was because of the Direct TV deal with Direct TV putting up some of the cost to produce the show. I am sure the budget was very tight. Some series regulars were not in all episodes.
Others were reduced to guest stars for 4 episodes each. Due to the cost,
I would guess that some music could only be cleared for broadcast and not DVD. I have enjoyed the series and am happy that it has been renewed for another 2 years with the Direct TV deal continuing.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
FYI The last episode of the 3rd Season airs on Friday April 10 at 9 PM on NBC for those of us who do not have Direct TV.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Anyone get this set and can comment on the revisions? Are the episodes DirectTV cuts or NBC? I have the DirecTV episodes saved on my DVR but I am hoping to erase them and get the DVD set to free up some space. I am hoping there weren't many music edits.

LCD22

Screenwriter
The "music may differ from the televised version" disclaimer is there on the fourth season back cover, to no surprise to anyone at this point, for the fourth time. Please, Universal, get it together. I bet they'll be the NBC cuts again.

I really hope we'll see this on Blu-ray and that they'll go back and address these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks