Friday Night Lights Season Three Gets NBC Edits & Music Changes

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I wonder if there is some clause in the contract that makes the extended episodes a Direct TV exclusive and thus precludes Universal from releasing them on DVD. I'm not trying to say that doing it is OK (if that's the reason, they should have had the foresight to clear the longer versions for DVD) but it could be an explanation as to why this happened.

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    When TV on DVD started, I always heard "old shows have to have music replacement because home video release wasn't even thought of back then, but now they can clear songs for both uses." Obviously it's not as simple as that, as there seems to be a lot of new releases missing music.

I believe the extended scenes were/are available on nbc.com. I've thought about the possibility of a clause in the contract, though. It may allow for web distribution but not DVD.

The only song I can remember from this season was Skid Rows' "I Remember You." I would hope that would be on there, but who knows.

4. peggy

peggy Stunt Coordinator

This really ticks me off. I have pre-ordered the third season just because I wanted to see all the scenes that were edited out when they were shown on NBC. Guess I will go and cancel my order now.

5. Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

Great series ruined by horrible DVD releases.

6. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I agree, and I have really loved this season. Looks like I have to write another letter to Universal.

In case anyone else wants to follow suit, here's the address:

Universal Studios Home Entertainment
    100 Universal City Plaza
    Universal City, CA 91608

If the series makes it out on Blu-ray with the original broadcast music (and the DirecTV versions included for the third season), I'll get them then.

7. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    No sale here either, unfortunately.

8. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Unfortunately, for those of you who already have Season 1 and Season 2 there is no other way to get Season 3 on DVD. :lol:

9. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

The only way the series was renewed was because of the Direct TV deal with Direct TV putting up some of the cost to produce the show. I am sure the budget was very tight. Some series regulars were not in all episodes.
    Others were reduced to guest stars for 4 episodes each. Due to the cost,
    I would guess that some music could only be cleared for broadcast and not DVD. I have enjoyed the series and am happy that it has been renewed for another 2 years with the Direct TV deal continuing.

10. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

FYI The last episode of the 3rd Season airs on Friday April 10 at 9 PM on NBC for those of us who do not have Direct TV.

11. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    No sale here as with the others. Universal, are you reading these?

12. Southpaw

Southpaw Supporting Actor

Anyone get this set and can comment on the revisions? Are the episodes DirectTV cuts or NBC? I have the DirecTV episodes saved on my DVR but I am hoping to erase them and get the DVD set to free up some space. I am hoping there weren't many music edits.

13. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

The "music may differ from the televised version" disclaimer is there on the fourth season back cover, to no surprise to anyone at this point, for the fourth time. Please, Universal, get it together. I bet they'll be the NBC cuts again.

I really hope we'll see this on Blu-ray and that they'll go back and address these issues.