What's new

Friday Night Lights - season 4 (DirecTV 101) thread (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A search shows that he has a thing for pirates. It was a bizarre encounter for me, but that doesn't mean I wasn't laughing with it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Some things I need help with: why is Julie allowed to choose her school? Does the Taylor house happen to fall right on the line? If East Dillon was closed up prior to this school year, why would the Panthers have needed that vacant lot in the past? For students who lived way outside of the district?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps having both parents working at the 2 schools gives Julie a choice as to which school she wanted to attend.

something things never change though...

"WHERE'S LENNON???!!!"- Coach Taylor calling for Landry to kick a field goal in the final minutes of the game. So awesome.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So that was Landry that was set to kick the FG? I thought he was the punter.

So why can't Luke play offense and defense? High school kids do it all the time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Good episode focusing on interpersonal relationships between many characters (but without feeling all that crowded). For an episode full of little moments, it's a case of the sum turning into something better than the parts.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I'm not really feeling this season. As I've said, the writing is still there, it's just the characters aren't all that interesting. And it's hard to feel compassion for the death of a character we met for like 1 episode, and I don't remember anything about him.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
We know Matt and his grandma. They maybe should have brought granny and Matt's mom back in earlier to give it more impact, but men in uniform showing up at the door has impact anyway since we see it in the real world. Matt getting the news from a tearful Julie gave it additional emotional weight.

Things are getting real uncomfortable for Tami. I couldn't blame her if she packed it in, but that wouldn't be typical of her. She's getting close to the breaking point, however.

The principal asked if the pep rally was free. I was wondering how they paid for the food at Ray's, since I doubt if Virgil would donate it in his current state of opposition to football. I then realized that the other alumni probably paid for it.

It's cool that this show ditches the characters we grew to love if that's the way it has to be. Other shows keep finding ways to keep the stars around even if it becomes silly. I'm sure the death of his father--along with the fact that Julie is leaving in a year and some other things--will propel Matt on his journey.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

It's cool that this show ditches the characters we grew to love if that's the way it has to be. Other shows keep finding ways to keep the stars around even if it becomes silly.
I agree with that...I just wish the new characters were more compelling. At least we've still got Riggins (and his presence isn't silly...yet).

According to the previews, it looks like...

Lyla makes an appearance in the next episode.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yes she appeared briefly at the funeral.

The funeral itself was very well done. Maybe one of the better done TV. While for a very different reason, I thought it was one of the more human handling of death I've seen. Maybe one of the most memorable since Buffy's "The Body" episode.

When you compare it to the way death is sometimes treated on TV.. I think about the terrible garbage that went on with "Private Practice" tonight, and then you see someone get it right..

I have a feeling East Dillon will not be a major contender.. but Dillon High thinks so little of them, treats them like a joke.. that East Dillon can get "up" for one game and catch a sleeping Dillon and upset it.

Eh, as long as they continue to improve. It's a good storyline, building a team from scratch.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The last half hour was heart-breaking, but in that span, Matt finally grew up after dealing with the anguish of an absent father's untimely passing.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Zach gave an award worthy performance. Tears were flowing from the moment he went to dinner on. Nice to see Lila. While I hope to see more of her, it was so realistic to have her simply cameo at the funeral. Once people move out of your life, that's how it really is.

JD. What a little creep.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
According to the previews...

We haven't seen the last of Lyla (and neither has Tim).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
"I guarantee a victory"
The moment dumbass started saying that at the beginning, I knew the episode would be a classic.

Just one comment about the end of the ep:

Saracen realizing that with his father gone, and his mother caring for his grandmother, it's time for him to move on. A crushing moment in some ways.. she knew, from the moment she said it she was right. But it was still a great moment, and the scene of him slowly smiling as the weight was lifted off of him. A great payoff for his character.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So I guess Sarecen has gone the way of Street and Smash? I noticed he was no longer listed in the theme music credits. Can't say the show should suffer much without him, but on the other side of it the new characters aren't exactly endearing either although I'm warming up to Luke.

Funny that they mentioned the Lions didn't even have a set QB because I've been wondering who the QB actually was.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Defeating thread preview spoilers. Defeating thread preview spoilers. Defeating thread preview spoilers. Defeating thread preview spoilers. Defeating thread preview spoilers. Defeating thread preview spoilers. Defeating thread preview spoilers.

Great episode. I, for one, will miss Matt greatly. Is he going off to Chicago to that art school?

I wonder if the DVDs will have Dylan and "Crazy."

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It seemed a little convenient that the criminal showed up at the fundraiser. It's disappointing that FNL appears to be moving into advocacy for the first time I can remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks