What's new

Friday Night Lights - Season 3 (NBC) - No DirecTV Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
What a switch in dynamics, Riggins being the voice of reason and giving sound advice to Lyla. Every episode this season has been great. Two more episodes, right?

I can't wait for Season 3 to come out on DVD. I want to enjoy this season's episodes over and over, again.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Tim Riggins' quiet strength of character has really become a centerpiece of this extremely well-crafted program. If you go back to season one and Tim's inability to cope with Jason's injury and the subsequent dismantling of their friendship, and compare that to the Tim Riggins of today, the metamorphosis is both remarkable and poignant. He has a huge heart and although he sometimes makes poor choices (helping his brother steal the copper cable) his intentions are always noble and pure. He manages to do more with common sense 'street smarts' than others accomplish with a lifetime of book learning.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
The scenes between Tyra and her mom and Lyla and Tim in the church show the difference in acting ability between Minka Kelly and Adrianne Palicki. When Minka's scene was on, all I could focus on was the fact that she wasn't believeable at all crying and sobbing whereas I bought Adrianne's emotions completely.

Watching the scenes with Matt and his grandma hit me even harder now than if I would have seen them last year on DirectTV since my own grandmother was just moved into an assisted living center yesterday and she's suffering from Alzheimer's. Zach Gilford and Louane Stephens are absolutely magnificent in their scenes together.

I know it would have been out of character, but I wish Coach would have decked Joe McCoy. As great as J.D. was, he can only focus on the negative. Joe needs a reality check and needs it fast; otherwise he might lose his wife and son.

The redistricting storyline reminded me of reading stories in Texas newspapers about how whenever one party was in power in the state legislature, they would try to re-draw the lines so that in the next election they could get more seats.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
FNL has always been incredible, even after the weirdness that began s2. i luv the way in which it tackles so many issues about coming of age, sex/violence, abuse and so on. it's just so incredible using dillon, tx as a microcosm that speaks to the macrocosm of the world.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Yes!

That just made my year. :cool:

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was pleasantly surprised that the show was given the green light for two seasons. I figured it would just be a season to season decision.

jmjinla

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Jameson
I guess the kid who plays JD is doing cartwheels. 2 MORE years on a critically acclaimed show AND syndication residuals? I'm gonna punch him in the face!

Still, I'm really excited.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am just happy right now that there will be 5 seasons. It is refreshing to see that a network is willing to keep a quality show like this. The pickings are mighty slim for quality written and acted shows right now.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i think some shows (like this one) is done for the sake of prestige, not necessarily ratings...

2bad firefly didn't get this treatment ;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Is it safe to say that since it's being made for Dish Network first they give the show much more freedom of artistic expression than a major network?

The whole Landry and Tyra murder cover-up last season screams of network tampering but this season has none of that, thankfully.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I hope the writers figure out that one season does not have to equal one year on the show.

I don't know how season 3 ends, but assuming it ends soon after the state championship (which would probably be in December)... season 4 could cover the rest of that school year, meaning none of the cast needs to leave yet.

Did Smash graduate last season? If not, he should still be on the team.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
especially given when the Directv episodes aired. By messing with the timing, you needlessly create some problems. (Biggest one being that a lot of the core audience, which is apparently small ratings-wise to begin with, won't be as attracted to the show without football.

Smash graduated last year.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I somewhat agree that each season should be about the football season, but that's a pretty big chunk of these characters' lives that we are missing if they always stick to that.

Since the critics all say "this is a show about football that isn't about football," and there's some truth to that, I'm guessing the audience is not predominately football fans. I can enjoy the game if I sit down and watch it, but I never do. I'm sure there are stories to be told in the spring that could still relate back to football. "JD, you can't go out for track! What if you get hurt and screw up your football career?" Something like that.

They could try the Degrassi Junior High model. Season one was the fall semester of a single year, while season two was the spring semester. It worked out really well and felt like progressing through a real school year. I think the third season covered the entire year, though. All were about thirteen episodes.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member

Who said anything about messing with the timing? Messing would be something like Riggins is a senior for 5 football seasons, or something.

A series can proceed at whatever speed the writers want, like how 24 takes a whole season to cover one day.

Having 13 episodes cover 4 months of the year, then skipping the rest of the year, makes no sense. Especially the months that would follow season 3, when several key characters are getting ready to finish high school. That's a big deal.

And it's not like football coaches and players do nothing from Jan-Aug. Have the characters do whatever the real life ones would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks