What's new

Friday Night Lights - Season 3 (NBC) - No DirecTV Spoilers! (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Now THAT'S more like it! Jason Katims did a great job directing this episode. I really enjoyed seeing Jason Street again, and based on his story line, I'm guessing we'll be seeing more of him.

Okay, so I was wrong about the direction of the copper wire sub-plot... I'll take my slice of humble pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, please. :D

As far as the current Tyra story line goes, I don't know if it is the result of Katims' direction, but she was much more Tyra-like (for lack of a better description) this week. I liked it!

I also really like the growing dynamic between Matt and his mother. She seems sincere in her intentions, and Matt certainly deserves to catch some sort of break after all the hell he's been put through with football, academics and being the primary caretaker for his grandmother.

Overall, this episode was a nice return to form IMO. The hour whizzed by and I hope the producers can maintain this level of quality for the rest of the season. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Yes, absolutely!

The show has returned to form in spectacular fasion! My heart broke for Jason. :frowning: Any scene with Matt screamed sincerity and I too am liking how he and his mom are getting along.

Lastly, the following line had me crying with laughter...

"What you mean vagina's? Babies loooove vagina's. He just took a great trip through one, it's probably like lookin' at a postcard."

:laugh::laugh:

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Great episode and I agree that I like that they are giving Matt someone who can give him support. He has taken on way more responisbilities than most 17-18 year olds are expected to.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how much longer Coach can hold off on keeping himself from blowing up at Joe McCoy? I got a Todd Marinovich angle from his actions. I could tell Coach was more mad at Joe for forcing J.D. to apologize after church than he was at J.D. for getting drunk.

Is it me or did I see a very faint blue dot on J.D. as he was running the Naked Mile? It totally reminded me of Sam Weir running naked through the halls on Freaks and Geeks.

The guys' reactions to Jason singing to his baby boy cracked me up, particularly Billy's.

The less said about the promos for next week, the better. Do they have monkeys working over there at NBC or what?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Someone needs to pull J.D.'s dad aside and tell him to dial it down a few clicks, that guy is becoming like Bill Murray in What About Bob?, always there and always in your face.

I'm glad they took an episode for us to get to know this enigmatic young man known as J.D. McCoy and you know what? I like him.

The new girl in Landry's band is a super cutie. Too bad she like's the ladies. :frowning:

I swear, if I ever had a kid and it turned out to be a boy I would want him to grow up to be exactly like Jason Street, that kid has one straight head on his shoulders.

His singing to his child was very poignant and I fully expected the guys to start ribbing on him as soon as he hung up lol.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I googled Devin the bass guitar player + Friday Night Lights and found out that she is played by Stephanie Hunt. No pics or info on IMDB, so she must be brand new.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Matt and Julie's story was excellent.

It is well settled that NBC is run by weasels, not monkeys.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The spoiler above:

I suppose that's info from the promo. I didn't watch, but it seems like a major reason for doing that would be so Landry doesn't have someone new to switch his affections to. Then again, it might be interesting to see him crushing on a lez.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"I just can't stay mad at that man."

So, is the implication that Matt got some? It was a big issue early on, so you'd think they'd make it more obvious, but maybe not. I think she was wearing his sweatshirt, and weren't they arriving back home in the morning? You'd think there'd be hell to pay from ET just for the fact that she was coming home so late/early.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I know a girl who reminds me of Cher,
She's always changing the color of her hair
But she don't use nothin that you buy at the store
She likes her hair to be real orange
She uses tangerines
Tangerines

Good stuff throughout. I hope DirecTV helps out with another season.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I wholeheartedly agree with that. This is by far, IMO, the best drama on TV right now. From the previews next week's episode looks to be another great one.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That was inspiring--both Matt's and Jason's stories. And, who among us kept a dry eye during that final scene?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I too had a hard time holding back the salty discharge during that last scene, Street never fails to inspire with his wise-beyond-his-years words and sincerity.

This season has utterly shattered any misgivings I had about the second season, it's absolutely superb! :emoji_thumbsup: The best damned drama on television hands down.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'll have to read that later, but it sounds like good news/bad news. I hope if they get some new people, it's a seamless change for the audience. But, then again, getting any show is better than no show. Even if it's terrible, we can just stop watching after season 3! ;)

It's just bad news because we've seen this season how good it can be when Katims is directly involved (the writing credit a few weeks back).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Mmmminka! Billy showed up about an hour too early. It looked like that scene might have been leading somewhere interesting. I can't say for sure where, though. ;)

When this show's at its best, all the unrelated storylines work. That describes tonight's for sure. I like how some of them then come together, like the Taylors picking up Tyra. Assuming Dillon is in the Midland area, that was one hell of a drive.

Edit: What Patrick didn't mention from that link is that they are trying for *two* seasons in the new deal between NBC and DirecTV! If it happens, that'll mean a show that has been on the chopping block from day one will suddenly be at least a five season show! I'm sure they'll be short, cable-length seasons of around 13 episodes, but that's fine.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Is Peter Berg actively involved in the production of the TV show? If he is, I think that would help make for a smoother transition to different showrunners, if it comes to that.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I just finally watched all the NBC episodes up to this point, so I'm safe to come in here now.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Thought the Smash farewell was very well done- pretty emotional seeing him tell his mom he was going to college, even though it was pretty clear that would happen.

What does Mama Smash do for a living? Couldn't she get hired to work at the high school or something so we could see her in a few scenes?

I was trying to figure out where in Texas Dillon is supposed to be- I think it must be in the 4th dimension:

It is close enough to drive to Dallas (to pick up Tyra) or San Antonio (to get a tattoo removed)- in between those is Austin, where it's filmed, yet in a previous scene, Dillon was so far from Austin that Coach flew to Austin to take the university job.

So Dillon must be like Springfield- it is everywhere.

Did Riggins and Street drive or fly to NYC? If they flew, I don't think there was any mention of what airport they left from, since certainly Dillon isn't big enough to have airline service.

BTW, I highly recommend reading the original book, which is actually a true story. In 2007 I saw a high school game in a stadium that was once the home of the Odessa Permian Panthers (the real team in the book)- the interesting thing was that the stadium had been moved hundreds of miles to Leander, which is sort of a suburb of Austin:
Cedar Park Timberwolf Football - Bible Memorial Stadium

Attending that game showed me how true to life the show is- the stadium on the show is tiny compared to the one I visited, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks