What's new

Friday Night Lights season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I do admit to tearing up just a little when Riggins gave Jason the ball.

Didn't realize just how tall Tyra was until Riggins' brother made a comment about her height, and IMDB lists her being 5'11".

Smash's steroid subplot is a little cliched, but I guess it goes to motivation and desire to be recruited to a big time college program for those on the borderline of being a good player and a blue chip recruit if they weren't quite as physically blessed otherwise.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I thought the steroid subplot was sold pretty well. He put so much pressure on himself as the family's meal ticket and saw it as his only option. My only issue with it was that it kinda came out of nowhere. It would have been a little obvious, but maybe a weight room scene in one of the earlier episodes showing him turning down steroids, or even just mocking people who use them in a cocky, speaking-about-himself-in-the-third-person kind of way: "Smash doesn't need steroids. Smash's talent is God given. Those jokers need steroids to keep up with Smash." Something like that to set up what would make him succumb to the pressure and shake him from his total confidence in himself.

Was disappointed that the Voodoo plot seems to be dead. I thought there would be more repercussions than just a forfeit.

I wonder if the ex-player who asked for a job plot is going to go anywhere?

Saracen really can sell the awkward teenager can't he? I remember asking for dates like that. :D

LCD22

Screenwriter
There's talk that "Friday Night Lights" might move to Sundays at 8 in January.

I love the opening credits to this series (linked below).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The credits are great. It really captures the small town feel, and I love the music.

That kid is a great actor. I really wish we could focus more on him. I know we did at the beginning of the season, but he's been pretty peripheral the last two episodes. He's the heart of the show, in my opinion.

I was a little disappointed in how the episode was structured. I would rather have seen Matt ask Julie to the homecoming dance before the game was even played, and I would have liked to have seen a little of the official dance, too. Admittedly, I don't and never did know much about the "cool kids," but I would think *somebody* would have gone to the official school homecoming.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That "kid" (Zach Gilford) is almost 25 years old (and I was shocked to find out that Minka Kelly, Lyla, was 26 years old).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
only the actresses for lyla and juliet are really closer to teens i think. lyla is 20 and juliet is like 16 or 17.

man, us "dirty old men" must change topix soon :laugh:

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Does it drive anyone else nuts that the show is sponsored by AppleBees, and they always go to applebees in the show

No, because it fits with the show, and they're not blatantly promoting it - like when they showed the sign but not the Applebee's name, I actually thought they had filmed at Applebee's but didn't have permission to use the name, so they just showed the bottom of the sign that says something like "neighborhood bar & grill" or whatever they say.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
plus, someone has to fund these shows =). it's still a business, no matter artsy we deem it =).

Bob_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm starting to really like this show. I agree too, the Saracen story with coaches daughter is pretty funny. I wish they would go further with it rather than the lowly 20 seconds per episode.

Smash turning to steroids was a little upsetting, I hate that whenever someone needs to get stronger and bigger that steroids is the first step. I'm a bodybuilding enthusiast and it urks me when someone "shoots up" because its just so stereotypical. Not that this means anything but there are so many anabolic steroids out there that don't need needles, a few bottles and some pills would have gotten the point across that he turned to the darkside....

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I watched the movie last night & have to say I like the TV show much better, although the movie is still good.

Best thing about the movie: that it DOESN'T have the usual sports movie cliched ending of the team winning the big game

Is Connie Britton (coach's wife) the only actor who is in both? There is an older guy in the movie who looks familiar, but I can't find another actor listed in both.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You can do an IMDb common cast/crew search and find a couple more. It's not perfect--it didn't even list Connie Britton--but here are the ones I'm looking at:

Brad Leland (the "older guy," and Buddy Garrity on the TV show--one of the main characters!) :)
Chad L. Stevens ("football player" in both--man, he's been in high school a long, long time!)

In addition, there are a couple of people who appear on camera on TV who were behind the scenes on the movie.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> You can do an IMDb common cast/crew search and find a couple more

Thanks. I didn't know there was such a search. I was just looking at the pages manually, plus noting what faces looked familiar.

I'm surprised there aren't more football players from the movie in the show- it's not like many of them are big movie stars.

I don't consider Older Guy a main character- what exactly is his function other than to tell the coach they'd better win? Is he just a local citizen or what? He's not listed on the imdb's first page for the show of 30+ people, so he doesn't seem to be a major character to them, either.

The main characters to me are the coach, his family, & key players.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I consider him a main character because he gets a lot of screen time. He's Lyla's father and I think a used car salesman. I don't know if he has any official role with the team other than thinking he's a big wheel in town and can make or break the coach.

You can't go by the IMDb ordering. It's completely messed up for this show. Look at the first one. "Rally girl." Kyle Chandler is pretty far down the list, when he should be number one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you read the IMDB threads at the bottom, people are asking for others to stop with the "extras" listing for FNL.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This show is almost too real at times. The scene between Tim and his brother was difficult to watch. Tim's right that Billy isn't the best role model, but he's trying. He could have just left, too, but he's trying to be both a father and a brother, and his own role models abandoned him just as much as they did Tim. I think the last scene indicated that Tim is waking up to this just a little bit.

I think if Mrs. Taylor knew Matt a little better, she wouldn't be as worried about him dating Julie. It's true that he could change dramatically if he starts getting his ego stroked as starting QB--and, if he keeps taking lessons from Smash--but I think he's pretty harmless and sincere about what he wants from Julie right now.

This show's kind of strange in that, it seems like it's on a long time--it said 40 minutes on the progress bar, and I was surprised that there were still 20 minutes to go--but it also gets over too fast for me. At least we've got at least one more episode to go in 2006, and maybe even two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks