What's new

Friday Night Lights season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I agree. Entertaining episode yesterday. I never watched the Kyle Chandler CBS series, but I really enjoyed his performance last night. If they maintain this level of quality, I will continue to tune in. I hope NBC gets smart and moves this program to a more reasonable timeslot. Although, with their current lineup, I have no idea where that would be...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think NBC is doing a marathon of the first three eps this Saturday night.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I love this show. I didn't think I would but dammit it's a great show. Every preconcieved notion you have about a show like this is wrong. Hell even the scene where Riggs and Street's girlfriend are losing it and upset makes you emotional. In a bad OC style show it would be laughable but this show just sucks you in. GREAT SHOW!

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
It sure does seem to hit close to home. If I had a nickel for everytime my best friend was seriously injured in the hospital, and I wind up walking home alone in the rain only to run into his girlfriend where after a huge fight that involves us yelling at each other which leads to an open handed slap to my face which then makes us both realize that all we really need to do is make-out to make the hurt go away, well, actually, I'd be flat broke.

Brent_H

Second Unit

Booo...Lay off the OC man!! :)

and Dave...lol. you have so much drama in your life.

great episode. I was on the fence with this show, but I think I will stay now. Lyla is a fox. I hope she dumps Street's ass to the curb.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Ratings apparently were slightly up this week, and NBC has ordered more scripts. That's not too bad :)

I kind of cringed during the kissing-by-the-road scene but otherwise I thought it was another fine episode. Very curious to see where they go with this Katrina refugee kid.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
just watched the pilot and a bit of ep2. the show is really engaging and has a way of sneaking up on you in unexpected ways =).

i saw a few of Early Edition and i really like the idea of that show and i luv the actor in it =). boy he is really getting old!!!!! he looked so young in early edition.

re: popularity. i'd like to see more breakdown in the statistics of this show. i'm willing to bet that this show is wildly popular in the south, especially southwest for obvious reasons. i also think it's got a hard sell here in the Northeast because audiences can't relate to the football craze and is very snobby towards southerners' lifestyles. i can't find anyone i know that likes this show here.

is this broadcasted in international territories? i bet it's unpopular there because TX is very "American" and this show is "Too American" for international audiences to understand... ya think? perhaps it has to be renamed to "football" ;).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also liked the 3rd episode as well, it's very gripping to watch, I think the docu-style works for this type of material ("a day in the life" fare).

If long-haired dude and Street's girlfriend get married, they'll have owed it all to coach's idea of a make-up practice.

A FYI: TV Guide reports that Friday Night Lights gets the Monday 10 p.m. timeslot on 10/30/06 as an experiment by NBC.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
10 pm on a Monday... yeah generally people are watching football then.

Oh wait .. MNF that is....

Bad decision if you ask me.

Otherwise another very good episode. I'm loving the drama, the beginning sequence reminded me of that Super Bowl between Tennessee and Saint Louis....

Street kinda lost it. I was happy about that. I was tiring of his God-like portrayal.

I already have a HUGE amount of respect for Katrina refuge. Shows he has a lot of character by going to the school he knows he has to put in work to play for.

Hopefully they get it together for the next game. I'd hate to see coach get the Axe!

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> The concept of a whole town being so obsessed with a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds playing football games that it validates their very existence is depressing.

It's pretty realistic, though.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I love this show so far. Eps 2 & 3 have matched the quality of the pilot.

I liked that Ep 3 started showing some chinks in the armor of some of the characters (Street, Lyla, the coach). These characters are becoming more rounded, more interesting.

Kyle Chandler is doing a great job. Billy Bob was superb in the film, but Chandler has risen to the challenge and created a unique but equally compelling character.

The show captures the look & feel of that part of Texas perfectly.

Glad to hear the ratings are up. I think this is a prestige entry for NBC (there will be LOTS of Emmy noms next year) and they'll give it every chance to succeed.

For me, this is the best new show of the year - no contest.

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
This one continues to grab me. I agree that the street side kissing was a little too cliched and all, but it still sort of worked (in a nonsensical sort of way). Loved it when Taylor saw Smash on TV and then the whole night time in the rain practice. Followed up by the whole "Clear heads, full hearts, can't lose" chant. It's great "guy" entertainment. Sort of like the stupid line in The Replacements..."Pain heals, chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever"...good stuff.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm finally caught up and really enjoying this series. I'll be bummed if it gets canceled.

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy, sir! Heh.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone thinking Voodoo's gonna get turned into a wide receiver?

Coach Taylor had to be shitting bricks when he made the connection that Matt had the hots for his daughter after giving him that pep talk to get loose and focused. Hilarious. Haha.

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
This is a great show. I can't wait until next week. I love the Seracen character and the potential he has. And, is it just me, or are all the ladies (Layla, Tyra, the wife and daughter) all HOT???

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I didn't expect Voodoo to be an arrogant jerk, that caught me off guard. I'm enjoying Saracen's storyline the most. I must've missed the detail of where his parents are. Is his dad in the military? Is his mom deceased?

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Yeah I wasn't thrilled about Voodoo acting that way, but I guess we'll see how it works out. Just makes you root for Saracen more.

I think they mentioned that his dad was serving in Iraq but I don't recall them every saying anything about the mom.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I want to see more of this show, but its ratings are horrible. Last night's episode pulled in 4.0/6 share, and considering the coverage of NBC in the country, that's mighty low. In comparison, the CW's coverage isn't as high, but Gilmore Girls brought in its normal 3.2/5 share. NBC can't afford a show that brings in such low ratings.

I'm hoping the Heroes lead-in for next Monday's test drive (for FNL) in the 10 p.m. EST timeslot will bring in more viewers to the show.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I was glad to see a Latino player show up this week (supposedly he's been in earlier episodes but they've deleted the scenes). It was kind of odd seeing a show set in Texas that didn't address that side of the population :)

I have to think the later timeslot will help at least a little. It just feels like a show that should be on later. It would help me, at least. My wife and I have to really scramble through dinner to get in front of the tv at 8.

So far I find that I really like the stuff that's centered around the coach and his family and the duties to the team, but the Lyla/Tim soap opera is leaving me cold. I'd like to see them shift the focus over to someone like Smash for a bit.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i like sors's story alot. the burden of a kid to grow up really fast... um and he's taken on the dangers of playing football!!! so if he's crippled like the other player, then his grandma dies? ahhahaha. that's kinda' strange responsibility, etc. but anyway, i like his storyline the best. the rest of the cast seem to be kind of spoiled brats... but i'm sure they have some background stories that make them act that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks