What's new

Frequency waterfall charts of a few familiar favourites (1 Viewer)

MingL

Stunt Coordinator

Well, there is indeed deep bass going on. This occurs at 00:06:50. Its deep and outright obvious, unlike explosions.

terence

Supporting Actor
Hey Rudi B,

These guys don't know it yet but the Darla sence is a KILLER! Trust me guys this is one by far the best DIsney has put out far as picture & sound! Excellent demo disc.

I have had a copy of the "Finding Nemo" for 2 months now DD & DTS, you probaly have the same screener. If you can post the sence when the submarine is sliding off the cliff. Man talk about bringing the the house down! my HT has not been fill with that much bass since the Haunting (door Knock)also the mine field explosion is not bad either.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I'm surprised no one is talking about the whale scene in Nemo. I thought it tromped all over the Darla bass! :)I had it cranked pretty loud and it scared me :b :D

Gordon

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Gordon,

I definitely agree about the bass when they are in the whale. Don't know how deep it is (guessing lower than 30Hz, though, which is where Darla/fishtank is centered), but it is definitely loud! Perhaps this is one that Rudi B could post since he's done some of the other Nemo charts. I can post a time reference, if needed, sometime this weekend.

A couple of transient hits are cool too like the barracuda close-up at the beginning and when the pelican hits the window.

JKS

BTW, anybody know what happened to MingL? He hasn't posted here for a few weeks and never responded to an e-mail that I sent him a while ago. Ming? Ya out there??

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I think the Darla scene is something we don't "expect" to have that kinda bass,which is whu many people picks this,as it's easy to remember by it's "shock" value. I know I was.;)

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

If you haven't noticed, there are four plots for Finding Nemo... Okay, so the whale is missing... Gimme the exact timings and I'll try to do it.

Also on my short list: Matrix Reloaded - that blowing building (red spots) and at the end when that ship comes in to rescue them... VERY loud. :)

And I'll have to re-watch Titan A.E. with an SVS now... Should rock. :)

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Don't get me wrong. I love the effect from inside the tank when Darla is tapping on the glass. It is unexpected especially since it's a quick cut from the previous scene in the harbor. You always here people with aquariums saying, "Don't tap on the glass - it scares the fish." It's a funny reference to that situation from the POV of the fish.

Like Gordon though, I was surprised that nobody had mentioned the scene in the whale since often when a new DVD hits shelves, the discussion focuses on the deepest loudest subwoofer-killer scenes. There are other threads here that are discussing the Nemo soundtrack and I hadn't seen the whale scene mentioned at any of them either.

Regardless, this is another excellent effort from Pixar and Gary Rydstrom.

JKS

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I am still waiting for someone to do a nice graph from Pearl Harbor. Its not the greatest flick. With a 40min long action sequence along with constant explosions I gotta see some graphs!

BTW, do you need a DVDROM to do these graphs? Or just some sort of input on a soundcard? Either way, I at least have pre-outs for all channels on my HK525.

Oh yeah! Now this sounds cool. That would be awesome to see a graph for each channel (full-range) from some of the biggies. Im talking about the movies with all the bass in all the channels. Ooooo. I love it.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
FINDING NEMO

OK, :)

Looks like at 1:10:45-1:11:15 is one (30 seconds).
If you can, there's some good stuff from 1:12:00-1:13:00 (1 minute) also.

From your other graphs, it looks like you can do up to a minute at a time.

Thanks for the effort, Rudi!

JKS

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,

Geez, those whale scenes really are crazy! Added. Also one of Nigel's window bombings. ;)

http://bass.jawmail.org/index.php?p=finding_nemo

And two Matrix Reloaded plots:

http://bass.jawmail.org/index.php?p=matrix_reloaded

Scott,

Nope, everyting on the computer. AC3filter DD decoder, Spectrum Lab for graphs. You could easily configure AC3filter so that it would mix back channels into the front stereo pair and disable DD front channels... But I don't know, doesn't make much sense to keep track of that. Who has full-range surrounds anyways? ;)

And if you'd like to see how that looks like, here's something similiar. A typical volume plot of the THX Cavalcade trailer (Star Wars) for all channels:

http://bass.jawmail.org/stuff/cavalcade.gif

Rudi

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Nice to see rudi taking much heat away from me.;)

Watching Matrix Reloaded really made my sub work for it. Hammer coming in for the rescue is a pretty tough test for HTs.

I've have read at least one poor fella's Energy Encores burned and smoked during that hammer scene.

My PC+ was handling this scene pretty well and showed no signs of distress.

This scene can be one killer for speakers and subs. Thats sustained deep bass for those who have not heard it yet.

Rudi has made it good for finding nemo too. There are so many scene with deep stuff, thou Darla is the scene thats takes the cake for this movie.

I'll upload waterfalls occasionally. Keep up the good work guys and keep sounding out those scene with really intense bass. Lets keep this thread going!

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Terence,

Underworld Soundtrack, Track 5, Renholder - Now I Know. Crazy. The most subsonic bass in "popular" music, ever.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Mingl- can you find out (how) why this sample almost bottoms out my Rel Storm? The cone goes mental, even though I don't put it loud.

add http ://

nathansilly.012webpages.com/08.wav

Taken from Wipeout 2097 CD.

Oh it plays fine on my new sub (SVS 20-39 PC Plus) No probs :) I have to agree with your waterfall reg. Toy Story 2, it really is low and loud, most subs bottom out (my dealer said his demo M&K MX-350THX has a little bit of problem with the logo slam), my Storm also chuffs & distorts as well. Again no probs with SVS :-D

Ta

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks