What's new

Frequency waterfall charts of a few familiar favourites (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Hey all. I had this thread in the back of my mind when I asked about low freq stuff in another thread. I need to look through this thread some more, but basically it looks as though most of these are from the LFE channel? Anyone know if there's much low freq in the mains? I'm thinking about less than 20 Hz.

I have an SVS PB12-Ultra/2 now, and I'm toying with the idea of getting 2 more SB12+'s when they come out (mostly for trying to smooth freq response in my room). Yes, I know that more might not be better. :) Plus, the reason I'm asking is that I would dedicate the Ultra/2 for LFE, and then use the 2 SB12+'s for the "left" and "right" channels. But I don't want to lose less than 20 Hz stuff either. Thanks !

Legairre

Supporting Actor
If I'm not mistaken the Dolby spec "allows" for full range (20Hz - 20,000 khz) from all 7 channels and LFE from the .1 channel. Even though the spec allows for full range it doesn't mean the individuals who mix the movies will or do use it. Since the spec doesn't allow anything below 20Hz in the main 7 channels the best you can hope for from the main 7 channels is 20Hz, but thats probably rare too.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Hi Jack... I've been playing with this and got the e-mail and a call from Tom about their posting of this yesterday.

This will certainly ratttle the house and you can clip most any system with it.

BE CAREFULL!

When Tom first made the recording he analyzed parts of it and found the whole track to have a dynamic range of ~70dB and a peak to average ratio of around 40dB. :eek:

Tom said the bursts at the end have a wide mound of energy that was at a maximum at 25Hz but still equal at 50Hz and 10Hz.

On my system it is a very "moving" experience in the house. The precussive effect is very realistic if your system has good response and extension. Tom pushede the volume of the last minute of the track so it peaks just shy of 0dB on the digital scale. Again, play this at a lower level before turning it up.

A friend of ours has a very nice HD camera setup, so maybe next year we could have some more fun and add video. :cool:

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Got it yesterday...still havent seen it. Didnt get a chance last night to watch cause my dad was ripping it to a iPod.

I heard it has a 6.1 dts track. Wonder if its discrete or ES.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Mark Seaton: That fireworks recording is indeed impressive! :) It will be so quiet, then all of a sudden there will be a powerful explosion and bass burst. Definitely start your volume off very low and work up slowly to see how loud you want to play it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks