Frequency Response Confusion

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by FrankieD, May 15, 2003.

1. FrankieD

FrankieD Auditioning

I’m confused about the two Frequency Response ratings on speakers. They are:

Frequency Response
    Low Frequency Extension

I have been looking at the Paradigm CC-270 and CC370 center speakers.
    The stats for the CC-270 are 70 Hz - 20k Hz Frequency Response, and 50 Hz Low Frequency Extension.
    The stats for the CC-370 are 100 Hz - 20k Hz Frequency Response, and 57 Hz Low Frequency Extension.

Which response is the bottom end? Does this mean that the CC-370 does not create sound lower than 100 Hz? If that is the case, the cheaper CC-270 would “technically” cover the frequency spectrum better. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if either of these speakers can be Bi-Wired?

Frank

2. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Don't make much sense to me... When you list the FR of any
    speaker you list it as the lowest it will extend and the
    highest it will extend before rolloff.. I have no idea what
    that "Low Extension means" ????

Weird maybe some Paradigm owner may know (I think we have
    a "few" owners here) [​IMG]

3. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

When you look at a frequency response range, e.g. 70Hz. to 20Khz., always look for a qualifier like +/- 2dB. This tells you that they can cover that range with consistant volume. (i.e. They will reproduce everything in that range within 2 decibels of the volume it is supposed to be.) In the CC-270's case, the low frequency extension is accompanied by this note: (click on the star next to it on their site)

4. Scott Sabin

Scott Sabin Stunt Coordinator

Frankie,

The first set of specs are the +/- 3 dB points, while the low frequency extension is the point where the magnitude is down to -8 or -10 dB. This has been "defined" by some manufacturers as the "useable bass" point, tyring to tie a number to the frequency content that you can still audibly notice.