Freezes at Welcome screen!????

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Wes, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Hi, My PC is giving me major problems! It has stopped wanting to run, It slowly started having a hard time booting up, now it freezes up at the Welcome screen. Just yesterday I replaced Power Supply, Hard Drive, and Ram but nothing solves the problem. I also reinstalled the OS on another PC then put the HD back in the problem PC but it is still the same it locks up on the welcome screen. The OS is XP and the PC is a AMD 2700 512mb ram.
    Is the Mother Board or Processor toast?

Thanks!
    Wes

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

How old is the motherboard? There was a while there when there was a rash of capacitors going bad, and it no doubt keeps happening today to boards that are aging.

Visually inspect the capacitors on the motherboard and see if they appear bloated or even have stuff leaking from them. If that's the case then it's new mobo time.

It happened to at least one of my friends, and I'm sure it is still more prevalent than it used to be.

Here's an article about it that a quick google turned up as hit number 1, with pictures that might help.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

That will pretty much never work, since the OS customizes itself to the hardware (MB, chipset, drive controllers, etc.) of the system on install. Drop it into another machine and you're going to get problems unless you do everything exactly right. (We once had a whole office full of computers fail to upgrade to Windows 2000 via Norton Ghost because the machine we built the image on turned out to be the only one in the office without a modem in one of the PCI slots. The image kept hanging during the Windows setup. The "fix" was to quickly rip all the modems out of the other PCs. [​IMG])

I'd try booting it up in safe mode, then boot again in normal mode. That sequence may allow it to redetect the hardware correctly.

Regards,

Joe

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    The PC is about 3 years old, it's a AMD 2700 to put it into time CPU perspective! It will not even boot in safe mode, The wife talked me into ordering a new PC so looks like I will put this 512 ram and this 80g HD into it to make the new PC even better, it's a AMD 3400. What do I have to do to put this HD into the new PC to have two HD in it?

Wes

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

You'll boot off the drive in the new PC and just use the secondary drive for storage. (Programs, data or both.) Basically you designate the original drive in the new PC as the primary or "master" HDD and the one you're adding becomes the secondary or "slave" drive. This is either accomplished by setting jumpers on the drives or by the position each of them occupies on the ribbon cable. You'll need to check the specs on the new PC and your existing drive. (You can almost certainly find the drive specs and a diagram on the manufacturer's web site.)

The built-in drive on the new PC will probably jumpered for either cable select (in which case it will be at the end of a ribbon cable that has one open connection on it), as the sole drive in a single system, or as the master drive in a two drive system. (Some drives have a single "sole/master" jumper settings.) So chances are you'll only have to jumper your drive to cable select or slave and then connect it to the ribbon cable. The PC will automatically detect the drive and assign it a drive letter. With a modern PC there is only a tiny chance that you'll also have to set a jumper on the original drive in the PC.

Regards,

Joe

6. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    How do I go about putting the new OS on the old drive that I will be putting in it?

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    You don't need to put the operating system on the new drive. The OS will be on the primary drive. You should reformat the old drive to delete whatever is on it now so that you have free space to store other data. You don't install the OS on each drive in a multi-drive system, you just make sure the 2ndry drive is properly formatted. The only reason to have a OS on the second drive if is you plan to have a dual-boot system that lets you start up in a different OS. (For instance, some people have PCs that let them choose to start in Windows XP or in Linux, depending on the work they're doing.)

Sounds like you might want to read a good book on basic PC concepts before fooling around too much under the hood.

Regards,

Joe

8. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Does it freeze when you try to boot in safe mode?

9. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    It just kicks me back to the "start in Safe mode" page again! Same with every other option you can select!

Wes

10. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Make sure the hard drive is set to master. You ca double check this by going to BIOS. The hard drive is set to master at IDE0.