Freebie and The Bean

Discussion in 'DVD' started by questrider, Aug 27, 2012.

1. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    This is available as a Warner Bros. "manufactured on demand" to DVD-R.
    http://www.wbshop.com/product/freebie++the+bean+1000102747.do?from=availableIn
    http://www.amazon.com/Freebie-Bean-Alan-Arkin/dp/B002AO004A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346082168&sr=8-1&keywords=Freebie+and+the+Bean
    I was wondering if anyone from here has seen it and whether it's worth the $20 or does it look and sound (listed as Mono 1.0) horrible? You can also download it for $15. It seems pretty pricey for a 70s movie that probably hasn't been restored whatsoever.
    I too saw this in the theater as a kid and several times later on in the 80s on cable. Would love to see it again. Especially in 2.40:1. Perhaps I'll take a chance on the download in that it says you can burn it to a DVD (although since I've never done this before I have no confidence in such an endeavor because it's a Windows Media file and I am suspicious that the the Microsoft DRM will wreak havoc).

2. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    I bought it way back when they still had the James Caan valu-pak for sale, yet I haven't gotten around to watching it. I'll have a look at it this week.

3. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    I saw the Archive disc. It looks and sounds pretty good. It looks like a new remastering, probably done for TV.

4. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Buyer beware, the burning to disc option on the download probably isn't what you think. You are literally burning the file to a disc, not creating a playable MOD disc. It's purely for storage purposes.

5. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

In the 3.5 years since Reggie W posted his list all of those Caan/Arkin films have appeared on MOD discs, except DEADHEAD MILES.

6. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Not sure if it's still there, but DEADHEAD MILES has been available for streaming on Netflix Instant...like a lot of the Paramount titles there, it looks to be an old television master they've thrown up on Netflix. For a film that's been nearly impossible to see until then, it's more than acceptable.

7. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    That's what I was afraid of. [​IMG]